Used 2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By ksford1

2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

14 yrs. ago I was in a Pontiac dealership having a repair on my 1990 Sunbird, it was already at 150K mile. So as I was wondering around the showroom and spied a Red T-Top 75th Anniversary Edition Firebird! Can you say IMPULSE BUY?! Well I've never been disappointed with her. She sits in my driveway right now, looking just as good as she did the day I drove her home, and a few offers to buy her. Sure, there could be more room in the back seat, have replaced EGR Valve, a headlight issue I solved, and recently a new ignition cylinder, but she's got almost 140k miles and I've Loved every one of them! I plan on giving her to my great-nephew in 3 years for his High School Graduation, or not...

Favorite Features

Great exterior styling and an aggressive stance. The performance, even with the 3.8 V6 is awesome! Inside features a sweet Bose Monsoon sound system that is still rocking the car 14 years after purchase. Front seats are comfy and dash is easy to read and controls are easy to reach. The car was built solid. Not one rattle even after almost 140K miles. Many have complained about a cheap plastic interior, but it's not. Everything about the interior compliments the car and I've never been happier with a car in my 28 years of driving. I had hoped to purchase a new version of this vehicle when It made it's return debut, but unfortunately Pontiac is no more, so I will hold onto this one 4 sure

Suggested Improvements

Could have used more luxurious backseats and leg room, and a little more interior lighting. The hump in the passenger floor area can be somewhat uncomfortable. Numerous electrical problems have been reported as well as headlight gear issues, causing the headlights to pop up and grind. Should have used a brass or aluminum gear when building the cars headlights.

Luv my weekend toy
By crazygrrrl

2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

At 45,000 miles, this is the only car I've ever bought new that I've never regretted buying. I would buy one again in a heartbeat if GM sells them again. The v6 may be an old design but it is strong and reliable, and my car has never left me stranded. I get compliments all the time. I love the fact that you can see the engine and all hoses, belts, etc. newer cars have that awful plastic cover that hides everything. This car is easy to work on, aftermarket parts are readily available even after GM killed Pontiac. This is definitely an enthusiast's car. It's fun to drive and comfortable too! I love this car. I'm going to keep it until I get too old to drive.

Favorite Features

Great looks without the insurance hit. Decent gas mileage (I avg 26 - 30 mpg). Great turning radius for this size car! Fun to drive, easy & cheap to maintain. Pop up headlights will never oxidize and turn yellow, if they do, just replace the sealed beam lights at any auto parts store for $15.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better fit and finish. My car rattles, but it's 10 yrs old so I don't really care. Headrest is too far back to be useful. Floor bulge in the passenger side is a design flaw. Don't buy this kind of car if you regularly ride with passengers.

01' Black on Black LS6 Formula 6 speed
By LS6BIRD

2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Formula 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Originally owned by Gm Mechanic. Blew up the LS1 at 30k in 02'..replaced with new LS6, added jethot headers and exhaust, lowered on SLP springs with subframe connectors and 4:10 gears. Dyno's 442 hp and gets and amazing 27 mpg on the highway in 6th. I couldn't ask for a better car. Last of the true muscle cars! Don't think I will ever part with it. Only 311 6speed formula's in 01' and its a loaded Black on Black Hurst 6speed. I LOVE IT

Favorite Features

MPG, PERFORMANCE

Suggested Improvements

Bigger Cam

Hi
By CoolAIArtist

2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

well I think I got such a wonderful deal at 6,000 dollars for a 01 Bird The only thing I have a problem with is when it rains and that's all. I like the 31 hwy mpg cause I'm daily on the Highway anyway. I have been offered way above what it's worth and always have people staring because the car is a head turner. Pontiac Red and T-tops it is by far one of my fav cars the only thing above it is the Dodge Viper.

Favorite Features

T-tops

Suggested Improvements

a little higher

*purrs*
By ^^Re-bound

2001 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had an '88 Dodge Aries, '95 Geo Metro & an '02 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I said I'd NEVER drive another car after being in my truck but with gas at $4 & getting 17 mpg while driving a 60 mile daily commute. I had to re-evaluate. I was shown 3 crap cars when I went in for a trade- in (1 was TOTALLY crapped out & wouldn't even crank!) & then shown this '01 Firebird. I drove it. That's all there was to it. I giggled the whole time! Kit had 75K miles on her & hadn't been taken care of very well but she purrs like a dream & the LOOKS she gets is just mesmerizing!! *giggles* Truck? What truck?! :D

Favorite Features

Body style, stereo system, T-Tops, her *purr* heehee

Suggested Improvements

Can't open hatchback when it's wet or it runs inside, being so low to the ground, she's hard to get out of wearing a skirt! *grins*