Used 2001 Pontiac Firebird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By ksford1

2001 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

14 yrs. ago I was in a Pontiac dealership having a repair on my 1990 Sunbird, it was already at 150K mile. So as I was wondering around the showroom and spied a Red T-Top 75th Anniversary Edition Firebird! Can you say IMPULSE BUY?! Well I've never been disappointed with her. She sits in my driveway right now, looking just as good as she did the day I drove her home, and a few offers to buy her. Sure, there could be more room in the back seat, have replaced EGR Valve, a headlight issue I solved, and recently a new ignition cylinder, but she's got almost 140k miles and I've Loved every one of them! I plan on giving her to my great-nephew in 3 years for his High School Graduation, or not...

Great exterior styling and an aggressive stance. The performance, even with the 3.8 V6 is awesome! Inside features a sweet Bose Monsoon sound system that is still rocking the car 14 years after purchase. Front seats are comfy and dash is easy to read and controls are easy to reach. The car was built solid. Not one rattle even after almost 140K miles. Many have complained about a cheap plastic interior, but it's not. Everything about the interior compliments the car and I've never been happier with a car in my 28 years of driving. I had hoped to purchase a new version of this vehicle when It made it's return debut, but unfortunately Pontiac is no more, so I will hold onto this one 4 sure

Could have used more luxurious backseats and leg room, and a little more interior lighting. The hump in the passenger floor area can be somewhat uncomfortable. Numerous electrical problems have been reported as well as headlight gear issues, causing the headlights to pop up and grind. Should have used a brass or aluminum gear when building the cars headlights.

Fun car not reliable daily driver
By 01 firebird

2001 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Convertible (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive with like a sports car but with the v6 you don't have to worry about gas. The only problem with this car that I have had so far are strange electrical issues (ex. The headlights flip up and down when using the power locks with the remote?) also has electrical problems after being stored. Still a great convertible for Florida weather

sound system great! Handles great

electrics also other mechanical issues have left us stranded. car only has 102,000 miles

Best Car Ever
By 01TransAm

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

A more beautiful (yet mean looking), fun to drive, and comfortable car has never been made. I have the WS6, automatic, and it is still practically like new. The only thing it really needed that is not stock is subframe connectors to get rid of the body roll. I completely disagree with the Edmunds review about the interior. The interior plastic is not cheap. It it much better looking than any new car interior, plus the lumbar support leather seats are top notch. The proportions are perfect - low profile, long hood, enough of a back seat to put stuff in. Millage is 17 city, over 25 if all highway, which is not bad, but who really cares anyway.

LS1, ram air hood, seats, size/proportions, handling.

subframe connectors

Luv my weekend toy
By crazygrrrl

2001 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

At 45,000 miles, this is the only car I've ever bought new that I've never regretted buying. I would buy one again in a heartbeat if GM sells them again. The v6 may be an old design but it is strong and reliable, and my car has never left me stranded. I get compliments all the time. I love the fact that you can see the engine and all hoses, belts, etc. newer cars have that awful plastic cover that hides everything. This car is easy to work on, aftermarket parts are readily available even after GM killed Pontiac. This is definitely an enthusiast's car. It's fun to drive and comfortable too! I love this car. I'm going to keep it until I get too old to drive.

Great looks without the insurance hit. Decent gas mileage (I avg 26 - 30 mpg). Great turning radius for this size car! Fun to drive, easy & cheap to maintain. Pop up headlights will never oxidize and turn yellow, if they do, just replace the sealed beam lights at any auto parts store for $15.

Needs better fit and finish. My car rattles, but it's 10 yrs old so I don't really care. Headrest is too far back to be useful. Floor bulge in the passenger side is a design flaw. Don't buy this kind of car if you regularly ride with passengers.

One sick car
By sic2001

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my car for 5 yrs now and it is awesome! I have put all kinds of aftermarket bolt ons on and dyno'd at 379 rwhp. It's fast and has never left me stranded! I've replaced the fuel pump myself within 2 hrs in the driveway and 150 for parts and find most repairs can be done easily and the info is excellent online. Put good shocks/struts on it, lower it, and youll keep up with the current M3 on twisties it handles so well. I have the navy blue metallic w/tan interior and people act like it's a Ferrari no kidding. 7 yrs old and looks like it could have been released this year. Catalytic converters are covered under warranty for 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.

WS6 hood, aggresive styling, amount of after market parts to customize to taste, i.e. leather accent pieces, tuners,suspension. Great following. Not at all redneck.

Trans Am package offered with the new Camaro through dealership