Used 2000 Pontiac Firebird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Firebird

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Most Helpful|
Fast - Not Furious
By Classy Bird

2000 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I've owned this car since it was new. Originally I had trouble with the power antenna and one of the headlights not popping up. Four trips to the dealer and the headlight finally was fixed - loose connection to motor. One other problem I had was the gas line regulator valve leaking gas into the engine when it was hot causing hard starting. I've not had any problems since these. I've been real happy with the gas mileage. I get 18 mpg in town and 30 mpg on the highway. That's with a heavy foot. Would have bought the TA except insurance would have been 4 times higher even though I haven't had a ticket for 15 years. Also, cost difference was $16 grand - buy another car for that.

Favorite Features

The Monsoon Stereo system is awsome. Can't beat the T-tops on a nice day. Love the red night-lighting on the dash at night. The body stying is great and acceleration is as good as most other sports cars in town. Faster than 40 mph just gets you a ticket anyway.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk, Stock Goodyear Eagle GAs are junk, wore out at 30,000 miles - probably why they quit making them. Rear spoiler holds water making opening the trunk during rain a chore. Need better molding of back panels next to back seat - they keep popping loose.

Some good some bad
By WS6

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

WS6 Trans-Am The Bad Interior cheap. Dash cracked. Passenger window rolls down slow. Drivers side door cracking (molding). Service engine light (bad air-pump). Poor excuse for traction control. Clutch slips when "performing" with too much weight (people in car). Stock tires crap! Speakers went POOOF! Rotors warped (110-0 doe!). "Backfire" noise when cold (lack of back pressure). Hate the skip-shift. The Good Hard hitting, throat tearing raw torque. My 6sp hurst shifted trans-am hits hard when I put it to the floor (new tires). Performs well around corners for the size of the car, suspension is stiff. Handles nice at high speeds 100+.

Favorite Features

Power, relative stability, real cool look (it's gonna eat the other cars). Rides like a hay wagon; yes this is a sports car, that's what you want, great fuel economy, avg 25mpg!

Suggested Improvements

Interior (just like any other GM), better rotors, stock tires and exhaust suck. Remove skip-shift "feature".

Fun on a part time basis only
By Omer

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

Hey, 18 months with my Trans am and I love alot of things with it. The ls1 has tons of torque all 6 gears, It's a fast car, turns heads, and attract attenion, but the reliablity brings this car down. The problems with the car are numberus, first of all engine reliability, the push rods bend so easily, other than that-- no engine problems. The rear axel is very sentitive. Lost my rear end at 60mph twice @ 46,000 and 47,000 miles. They upgraded the clutch in 2001 for a reason (2001s have 'vette z06 spec clutch). Fast? Yes. Fun? Yes. Satisifed? Yes. Holds Value? (relative to market) Yes. Reliablity? No!

Favorite Features

If quarter mile time is the most important thing, this car will meet you needs and wants the best.

Suggested Improvements

Kepp the Straight line performance, give the vehicle better handling, and give the car above average reliablity and you have the best performance for dollar.

Harley Davidson Of Automobiles
By CHIEF TA

2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

Thundering exhaust, tire smoking torque, sexy curves - all with 26 MPG on the highway! Too bad everyone's so hooked on the boxy dullness of SUV's that they've allowed these cars to die.

Poor Quality
By JNas

2000 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I bought this vehicle for my son back in 2000. It's done nothing but cost me money. Things that normally don't tear up on vehicles fall apart on this vehicle. From the power windows going bad, emission problems, replaced fuel tank and pump, replaced rear diff, pinion seal, replaced numerous lights switches, power steering pump leaked and on and on. I've spend almost as much money in keeping this car running as I did when I bought it new. This car has only 68,000 miles on it. My toyota 4 runner has 165,000 and I've only had to replace the brakes. I'll never buy another American made car.

Suggested Improvements

Learn from Toyota or Honda about how to make a quality vehicle.