Used 1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Love it!
By firebirdemt

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

In 2007, I was looking for a camaro as I had had a 1973, 1978, and 1989 in the past and loved them. Then I saw the red T/A sitting at a buick dealer. A 1999 with only 34,000 miles on it. T-tops, leather power seats with power lumbar support, auto-trans, 10 speaker cd stereo, I was in heaven! I love that when you tromp on it, it plants you back in the seat and the tires chirp in the first 3 gears even when you leave the trans in Drive. She is beautiful. As for repairs, I have had to replace one head light motor, one power window motor, two modules, and for some reason, multiple turn signal bulbs. I try to keep the milage down, but I love to drive it so it now has 65,000 miles. I adore my t/a.

Handling is awesome, and you can feel the road. Lots of raw power. Looks fast and beautiful.

Seems to have an electrical problem as it keeps blowing out turn signal bulbs.

It's a hand grenade!
By OLDMANBOB

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

It was fun to drive but it's a rattle trap piece of junk. What hasn't been replaced or fixed? You name it. The rear end bearings have been done twice and third gear just disappeared. Doors sag, locks jam, wiper motor went, have replaced all rotors the fronts twice, calipers replaced, cat is rattling, sway bar links replaced, as it gets older everything is loosening up exponentially (spelling on that one?). the motor is starting to knock a bit in cold weather (sounds like a rod) and I use Synthetic Oil only. Looks nice and goes fast but wasn't made for the long haul. If your looking at one over 100K run RUN!

Fun to drive.

Pontiac isn't around anymore. Quality control might have been an issue.

Unique in all the right ways
By AufMitterSpiel

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I had a choice between this car and a 964 Porsche and chose this because of it's raw nature. It demands a great level of skill and respect to drive fast, and I felt up to the challenge. The Borg-Warner T-56 is a beast of a shift and the live rear axle keeps me 'focused' in mid-apex. But it all makes sense once you have kept up with a Ferrari 360 down the PCH and he pulls up next to you in disbelief...priceless.

Everything. You have to be American to understand it, though.

None. Wish the new Camaro was still this raw.

A truely brilliant and special car
By rennfahrer

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

Not many words need be said of this car. Just notice the next one you see on the road that has been properly taken care of. Near perfect sportscar design and function. Yes the live rear end does try to spoil the party from time to time, but the sheer enjoyment of driving the last properly true muscle car made in the world is an event to behold. Enough with the 'hillbilly ferrari' jokes. These cars have exceptional road feel and lateral stability! The LS1 and 6 speed work perfectly together, getting 18mpg in the city and around 32(!)mpg highway. OEM brakes are fantastic. My car currently has 100k tacked on and feels solid as a rock.

LS1. T-56. Non-RamAir hood.

IRS would've been nice, along with better steering components.

Updated review- Still amazing
By Slash8915

1999 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This is an updated review from the one I wrote back in '07. (Scroll down to see that one. Well, I still have the WS6. It now has 112,000 miles on it, and runs great. It also now has 548hp 516lbs. tq. It's WAY more fun to drive now, but quite a bit louder. My fuel economy is much worse now too. Try 12mpg and HAVING to use premium. Despite that, it's still amazing, and gets looks wherever I go. One of the sexiest cars ever made. The prices on these cars is going down more and more, so if you haven't picked one up yet, now would be the time.

Motor, comfort, looks you get, and SPEED!

Definitely update the interior, and add wider tires from the factory. I doubt a new Trans Am will come out now, since GM filed ch. 11, but we can dream.