Used 1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

1999 3.8L V6 automatic
By abcizdaman

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I just recently went on a road trip from the Hi-Desert, CA to both Phoenix and Prescott, AZ. The care handles very nicely and is fun to drive. The only thing is it made my back sore after driving 300 miles. It's not really a car built for comfort, especially for a tall person like me who's pushing 6'3". It has awesome styling and pretty good acceleration for a V6. It gets alot of head turns, especially at night with its stylish headlights. Without any additions it tops out at 118 to 119mph. I'm sure with a supercharger and/or turbo it would max out around 130 to 150mph. I'm just guessing though. It comes standard with a crappy stereo system that has alot of issues. I changed it out

Awesome styling, above average acceleration for a V6

One should change out the stereo. I bought a installation kit with the cheapest JVC at Walmart, and the system sounds/works great now! It's not the most reliable vehicle as you have to provide alot of maintenance to it unless you treat it with extra care/caution. Still, it's a fun car to have/drive, and you do get alot of head turns/compliments.

Lots of Work
By Cruzincool

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I owned a 1997 Firebird before I bought this one and sold it with 167k and never had a single issue out of it, so naturally I bought another one. This one has been nothing but a headache. After having the vehicle for a week, my check engine light came on. Misfire due to bent valve and my automatic tensioner was bad. $1300 to fix. Three weeks later, car started running rough, then not at all. I had to replace all three coil packs and ignition module. Chrome rims had some sort of defect where they would not hold air, so I had to buy another set. Then yesterday it started the same rough running as before. Also, the electrical systems randomly quit operating and turn signals burn out in 2 days.

Powerful for a V6. Love the looks I get when driving around. When it runs, it runs great.

Fix electrical systems.

My Firebied
By Leslie2762

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love my Firebird and I would purchase a current model if available. However, my love is so vast, it does overshadow the new transmission, air compressor, alternator, and just about every belt, window motor, plug, or fluid that exists.

I love the t-tops, I did lose one on the interstate which was scary.. and expensive

A lot of work on the automatic windows, I had both sides fixes twice and a lot of work on reliability when it comes to the engine and ac

Too much fun
By tom

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have a silver 5 speed, T-top coupe with a V6-lot's of power and appeal. Yes the bucket seat is too low, rear visibility is not good, interior could be prettier.etc.but at the end of the day, driving this thing with the top off if just too much fun. I love the exterior look. I still grin as I walk out to the parking lot and see it waiting. Driving it is excellent therapy and a tension reliever-even my wife feels that way when she roars off shifting gears like a stock car racer. My neighbor has a new Vette ('06) also silver and frankly, side by side, look to look I really think my old beast still holds its own-especially when you compare our investments!

T-Tops. Exterior look, manual transmission. Graceful smooth body lines that say sports car. Fast, a bit of muscle and elegance...love it

Spend a bit more money on the interior, improve the front seats. Front middle console needs to be lowered as it is too high to really enjoy shifting. Same with front cup holder placement. You can't shift if you have a coffee there. Finally rear visibility needs improvement.

1999 Firebird
By rotc6girl9

1999 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Great reliability and quality. It also has great performance, much better than most imports and the exterior design is amazing. These types of cars really are beautiful

I love the quick excelleration and the areodynamic design.

Perhaps more standard horespower would be nice.