Used 1998 Pontiac Firebird Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

The hot rod has arrived!
By Mach 5

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

This car is awesome! It is my first car and I would not trade it. there is zero room in the back. The T-tops are awesome, but they can get cumbersome and annoying to take out and put back in. But this car is Amazing, if you can, get the Ram Air version. This is a fun and sweet ride.

T-tops, sitting low, and the exterior look.

Change the interior to a bit more sporty appearance (Still an awesome car) Go Pontiac!

Awesome Car
By Zac Stark

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I just got my bird about 3 months ago and I've fallen in love with it. I'm only 16 and this is already my second car. I love driving to school in this baby and watching all the heads turn as I pull in the lot. Going to the mall is now more about getting there than being there. The car is so much fun to drive. Taking corners at 70 mph as if I was only going 30. The feeling of power as the body shakes when revved up. It's muscle all the way. The inside is a little cramped though and the system sucks big time. Don't recommend for a taller person. The passenger seat is REALLY cramped with a small bump in the floor. All in all though it's a blast to drive and is a head turner.

Body Style, Power, Ram Air hood.

Quite impressed
By ryanjm183

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Even with the unfair advantage the my wife was supposed to buy a truck for me while I was in Iraq this car has impressed me. Being in siding and window sales I lacked space and often bottomed out the suspension while carrying a lot of samples. It is also difficult to get a child restraint in and out of the back seat. All in all I would have to give my Firebird an excellent rating and would recommend it to anyone without infant(s) and/or sells siding. I've only had it in the shop a couple times for minor repairs that I didn't have time to do myself.

Overpowered for a V6. When you look at this car you can tell that it won't take and s*** from any other car.

Beefier suspension in the back.

Great Fun
By Robert Linzer

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Driving this vehicle is really fun, definitely the funnest I've ever driven. Being able to take corners at 30 mph without feeling like your going to roll the thing is a great ride. Only things I don't like are the traction problems in wet weather and its ride height. I love the fact that its low to the ground, but its a pain to drive worrying about scraping when going through the smallest dips or transition from level surfaces to a steep slope.

Favorite features include the automatic headlights, power antenna for a more aerodynamic, sporty look, and second gear start for the bad weather. It helps a lot when sitting at a stopsign on an incline on a sheet of ice.

Suggested improvements would be minimal, and worthless since they don't produce them anymore. However, if possible, it could use a little more traction in the rear end and fixing the seals on the windows (they always seem to come unclipped and stick up an inch) and fix the seals on the t-tops.

Catch It If You Can
By Fish

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Bought the Bird myself when I was sixteen and haven't regretted it one minute. Insurance isn't too bad since it's a V6, but heck, it still wastes a majority of comparable cars (let's see you try that again, Mr. Mustang 'GT'!). Averages about 23-27 MPG, and it doesn't take Premium like TA's need. This is a very solid car, mine is now seven years old and doesn't have a dent or crack or speck of rust or broken interior plastic. Absolutely GORGEOUS car. Only problems are with headlight motor gears, weak passenger power window, and corroded cooling system hoses (beware the black sludge). Rides rough but can turn on a dime at high speeds, and definitely turns heads! Very highly recommended!

An absolutely gorgeous car, very reliable, I've had very few problems with seven-year-old Bird. Very solid construction, great performance and handling, LOVE the T-tops. You MUST change your oil every 3000 miles and follow the manual's suggested maintenance schedule and this car will last decades!

CD player is sensitive to bumps, which is bad with such a rough ride. The back seats are near useless and the "trunk" isn't much better. Doesn't fit tall people well at all. If you don't like hauling too many people around at once, this is a good idea, because nobody wants to ride with you anyway!