1998 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:
The hot rod has arrived!
By Mach 5 on 07/03/09 19:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

This car is awesome! It is my first car and I would not trade it. there is zero room in the back. The T-tops are awesome, but they can get cumbersome and annoying to take out and put back in. But this car is Amazing, if you can, get the Ram Air version. This is a fun and sweet ride.

Awesome Car
By Zac Stark on 03/29/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I just got my bird about 3 months ago and I've fallen in love with it. I'm only 16 and this is already my second car. I love driving to school in this baby and watching all the heads turn as I pull in the lot. Going to the mall is now more about getting there than being there. The car is so much fun to drive. Taking corners at 70 mph as if I was only going 30. The feeling of power as the body shakes when revved up. It's muscle all the way. The inside is a little cramped though and the system sucks big time. Don't recommend for a taller person. The passenger seat is REALLY cramped with a small bump in the floor. All in all though it's a blast to drive and is a head turner.

Quite impressed
By ryanjm183 on 03/01/06 08:31 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Even with the unfair advantage the my wife was supposed to buy a truck for me while I was in Iraq this car has impressed me. Being in siding and window sales I lacked space and often bottomed out the suspension while carrying a lot of samples. It is also difficult to get a child restraint in and out of the back seat. All in all I would have to give my Firebird an excellent rating and would recommend it to anyone without infant(s) and/or sells siding. I've only had it in the shop a couple times for minor repairs that I didn't have time to do myself.

Great Fun
By Robert Linzer on 02/25/06 16:51 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Driving this vehicle is really fun, definitely the funnest I've ever driven. Being able to take corners at 30 mph without feeling like your going to roll the thing is a great ride. Only things I don't like are the traction problems in wet weather and its ride height. I love the fact that its low to the ground, but its a pain to drive worrying about scraping when going through the smallest dips or transition from level surfaces to a steep slope.

Catch It If You Can
By Fish on 11/11/05 00:01 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Bought the Bird myself when I was sixteen and haven't regretted it one minute. Insurance isn't too bad since it's a V6, but heck, it still wastes a majority of comparable cars (let's see you try that again, Mr. Mustang 'GT'!). Averages about 23-27 MPG, and it doesn't take Premium like TA's need. This is a very solid car, mine is now seven years old and doesn't have a dent or crack or speck of rust or broken interior plastic. Absolutely GORGEOUS car. Only problems are with headlight motor gears, weak passenger power window, and corroded cooling system hoses (beware the black sludge). Rides rough but can turn on a dime at high speeds, and definitely turns heads! Very highly recommended!

What an improvement!!!
By blackbirdw68 on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

My previous car was a 96 camaro, and i gotta say WOW this firebird is such an improvment over my last car!! The performance package is awesome!!! Dual-exhaust - body kit - high performance shocks/springs. Everyone mistakes me for a TransAm cuz i almost sound like one (stock!) and look like one. its great except when they race me with their GT mustangs and beat me- hey dude this v6 almost had you!

Firebird
By Jaycee84 on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Awesome Car For A V-6... Very Fun To Drive... Overall Reliable, Little Things Here And There... I Would Definatley Recommend This Car To Anyone...

Fun, but beware
By Big MIke on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I love the performance and styling of this car. Beware of problems associated with GM pony cars. Educate yourself on Gm pony cars before you buy so you know what you could be getting yourself into financially when and if thigns fail on you.

98 Firebird
By luvmycar20 on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

This car is a very fun car to drive. You will definately get a lot of compliments on this vehicle. It has a beautiful build, inside and out. I love the steering wheel radio controls. The handling is wonderful. It takes curves beautifully. The car is very reliable. I have had few problems with it. I would reccomend this car to anyone.

The most beautiful car ever!
By JCMoya on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

After 5 yrs and 56K miles I still in love with my bird. This is my 2nd Firebird. The 1st one (1986) was the worst, but this one (1998) is the best car I ever owned (of 14 cars so far). CR use to rate the reliability of this car as the worst, but my experience is very very very different. Except for the regular Lube and New tire installation, this baby has not been touch by a mechanic. Thats right, NO PROBLEM in 5 years. Thats a lot better than my neighbor's Camry.