1997 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:
A great American muscle car
By TransAmChick on 02/24/09 16:00 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

'97 Pontiac Trans Am. Love my baby! I bought this car used (one owner), and it's now 11 years old, but you'd never know it. It's been very dependable and hasn't given me any major problems, except that I go through rotors fairly fast even though I'm not hard on braking. Obviously not recommended for everyone, but it's awesome to drive. It's my daily driver, and I put about 8,000 miles on it annually. Not too good in the snow, but if you've driven RWD before, you'll know what to expect - Traction control helps. If you have a "beater" and can keep a car like this in the garage in the winter, that's the best option. It's a shame GM doesn't make these anymore; they are sorely missed.

It rocks
By Swimmerboy on 04/04/06 11:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This car is more fun to drive thing my mom's 2006 mustang. I have be out standing happy with my car. and it has never left me anywere. even after the waterpump went out. i was able to limp her 2 miles home. the only bad thing is she lecks a little oil. but i dont have to add oil between oil changes.

Most Fun I've Ever Had On Four Wheels!
By frebo3 on 11/28/04 06:43 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

A 60-something sport touring motorcyclist - I bought my 1997 WS6 in 2000 replacing a ten year old Mustang GT. The WS6 had run out of warranty, so I bought an extension from the GM dealer for just over $1,000. It paid off. In the next four years I had about $3K of work done for free, replacing the Monsoon audio system and rear woofers, and the power window motors.This car is a blast to drive. It corners as if it were on rails, the power lumbar support is excellent, the throttle response is incredible - the exhaust note awesome. The only thing I can liken it to is an XKE V-12 that I once owned.My wife loves the lines - says it reminds her of a Ferrari.It's been a blast!

'97 trans am ws
By art hicks on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

terrible in snow. computer (ses) light is very sensative to aftermarket modifications, otherwise no major problems at 37000 miles.

Best musclecar ever
By Frost7 on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I've owned a black '97 Trans Am WS6 for the past year and my experience with it has been great. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful and stylish sportscar that is all about having fun driving. The car is solidly built, hugs the road, handles like a dream, and can take off like a bat out of somewhere very hot. I'll NEVER sell this car, and it's the one thing that makes the trip itself half the fun of going someplace.

WS6 Great show piece
By DaBattMan on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I wasn't planning to buy a car when I walked onto the lot. But his one sold me even before I saw a salesman. I Love this car. It's my baby. I havent had any problems with it that I couldnt fix with a screwdriver or for under $200.00 (regular maint). It turns heads. Every one is watching you. Perfect for the summer with the tops down. A must have. Too bad they went and canceled this model. It is a beauty.

My birdie
By hitman on 09/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

All I can say is if you don't have one GET ONE!!! This is the best car I've ever owned. You will never find more bang for the buck and I think it looks way better than a camaro. Never had any problems with it, and it turns heads everywhere. It may only be worth $20 000 on the market but soeone is going to have to dish out a lot more than that to take it away. The last new ones are WAY too expensive. Won't be letting this go unless someone is willing to pay what I think its worth.

Yikes, hang on
By Neild17 on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

WS6! Fast, fast, fast! Although I wish I had gotten the 6-speed manual. Micro racers will stall their cars at the light to keep from racing. But, mechanically, this one has been a nightmare. Replaced rear axles at 60,000, headlights constantly were being worked on, most inside lighting has already burned out or has been replaced, stiff ride which if not carefully lifts the rear wheels with the slightest bump - potential severe axle and diff damage if racing on bumpy road. Love the car, but wish Pontiac had done a little more homework on practicality and repair frequency.

Hard to find!
By 97WS.6 on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I was a part of the import craze, and had big plans for my little 4 banger. Then I ran into a mechanic that laughed at me for building a 4 cylinder motor. He then took me for a ride in his 1996 Trans Am. I then realized that torque is my friend. If you like torque, this is the car for you! The feeling of having sticky tires break loose on a hot day at your own will is something that isn't accomplished by the sub-par Ford counterparts. I love the car in every way, and will take it for a cruise just for fun. These cars look great and perform to match it straight from the factory.

hell yeah
By crucial929 on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

love this car .....