Used 1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Pontiac Firebird

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

A great American muscle car
By TransAmChick

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

'97 Pontiac Trans Am. Love my baby! I bought this car used (one owner), and it's now 11 years old, but you'd never know it. It's been very dependable and hasn't given me any major problems, except that I go through rotors fairly fast even though I'm not hard on braking. Obviously not recommended for everyone, but it's awesome to drive. It's my daily driver, and I put about 8,000 miles on it annually. Not too good in the snow, but if you've driven RWD before, you'll know what to expect - Traction control helps. If you have a "beater" and can keep a car like this in the garage in the winter, that's the best option. It's a shame GM doesn't make these anymore; they are sorely missed.

Beautiful body, nice Monsoon stereo system, bucket seats, strong power and delicious V8 rumble.

None really. In really cold weather, the heater has trouble keeping up with temperatures, but this isn't really a winter car anyway.

It rocks
By Swimmerboy

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This car is more fun to drive thing my mom's 2006 mustang. I have be out standing happy with my car. and it has never left me anywere. even after the waterpump went out. i was able to limp her 2 miles home. the only bad thing is she lecks a little oil. but i dont have to add oil between oil changes.

The ability to roast the tires to nothing.

Make the waterpump easer to get to.

Most Fun I've Ever Had On Four Wheels!
By frebo3

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

A 60-something sport touring motorcyclist - I bought my 1997 WS6 in 2000 replacing a ten year old Mustang GT. The WS6 had run out of warranty, so I bought an extension from the GM dealer for just over $1,000. It paid off. In the next four years I had about $3K of work done for free, replacing the Monsoon audio system and rear woofers, and the power window motors.This car is a blast to drive. It corners as if it were on rails, the power lumbar support is excellent, the throttle response is incredible - the exhaust note awesome. The only thing I can liken it to is an XKE V-12 that I once owned.My wife loves the lines - says it reminds her of a Ferrari.It's been a blast!

'97 trans am ws
By art hicks

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

terrible in snow. computer (ses) light
is very sensative to aftermarket
modifications, otherwise no major
problems at 37000 miles.

WS6 Great show piece
By DaBattMan

1997 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I wasn't planning to buy a car when I
walked onto the lot. But his one sold
me even before I saw a salesman. I
Love this car. It's my baby. I
havent had any problems with it that I
couldnt fix with a screwdriver or for
under $200.00 (regular maint). It
turns heads. Every one is watching
you. Perfect for the summer with the
tops down. A must have.

Too bad they went and canceled this
model. It is a beauty.

T-Tops and 5.7L V-8 the 2 deciding factors for getiing this car. Ram air hood, Sound system kicks "it" Sweet looks did I mention T-Tops?

Get rid of the bump on the passenger side floor. removable seating in rear. Or smaller seat coushins for more head romm in back. radar det. standard (ha ha)