Used 1996 Pontiac Firebird Base Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Firebird

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Firebird of Paradise
By CamaroFan13r

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I am the former owner of a 1996 Pontiac Firebird, with the 3800 V6 engine. I miss my car. I was constrained by necessity to sell her in Feb. 2009. But for ten years, this car served me well. The V6 engine had good performance, with 200HP and 225 lb/ft of torque. But what really impressed me was the reliability of the car. I have owned other Camaros and Firebirds in the past. I love these cars, but they are generally not well known for their reliability. But my 96 Firebird was rock solid reliable. The 3800 GM V6 motors are excellent. The fuel economy wasn't top notch (in fact, I think that the LT1 engines were more fuel efficient), but the car was fun to own and drive. I miss it!

Beautiful body style. Nice aluminum rims. Nice interior design.

I'm very happy that the new 2010 Camaros are available now, and I hope to own one in the future. I think it would be awesome if GM were to resurrect the Firebird, too.

1996 firebird v6 3.8
By brandon

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

My firebird is equipped with a 3.8 L v6, t-tops and and some nice rims and i am very happy with it.The power is amazing. I put headers, cold air intake and did some head work to mine and it will rip the tires off. The fuel economy is great. This car is all around fun to drive. The only reason I would sell this car is to by a v8 model.

The 3.8 L v6 and stylish looks

I don't really think any improvements are necessary

great car to keep
By jamey b

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I have the `96 bird and an `01 grand am gt1 anniversary edition. The grand am will be out of my inventory long before the bird. I can't believe how well it has held up mechanically and stylishly. I am going to be pleased to give it a pimpin in the springtime. It is going to be a classic some day!

body lines, performance and reliability

none

awesome all around car
By pontiacfreak

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

this is my second car i've owned, my first was a 91 grand prix and it was an awsome little car, but i decided to sell it to get something that was a little quicker. which is my firebird. Its a good looking car with the power to back it up, even with the 3.8L in it. The car had a few minor problems when i bought it, but all were very cheap and easy fixes, and haven't had a problem with it since. And just add a few performance parts to these things and they REALLY move, i have just a few minor bolt on parts and im able to beat V8 mustangs with it! And i use mine as a race car and it has close to 130000 miles on it.

Looks, 3.8L motor has plenty of power, and almost indestructible. car handles like a dream

could have had a little better rear end gearing from the factory (mine had 3.08's)

Awesome car, horrible dealership
By GMOPAR

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Well i bought this car as a replacement for my 92 lebaron convertible, yeah it was a lebaron BUT i had owned it long enough to finally get ALL the jitters out of it. Now the Firebird a V6 Manual is the best daily driver i've ever had with reguarly over 21 MPG in the city! Only problem is, it's a used car and with that comes the growing pains of getting used to it. I've fixed almost all the initial jitters (most of which could have been avoided had the dealership Pete Moore of Pensacola been at ALL honest with me) Now all i gotta do is get a new fuel pump and it'll be all good.

Well rounded engine when it comes to power and gas mileage. Added a flowmaster exhaust and SLP intake and it'll smoke any V8 car build before 1992

Well as with all GM's a little more reliability and less plastic parts is all.