1996 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:
Firebird of Paradise
By CamaroFan13r on 10/03/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I am the former owner of a 1996 Pontiac Firebird, with the 3800 V6 engine. I miss my car. I was constrained by necessity to sell her in Feb. 2009. But for ten years, this car served me well. The V6 engine had good performance, with 200HP and 225 lb/ft of torque. But what really impressed me was the reliability of the car. I have owned other Camaros and Firebirds in the past. I love these cars, but they are generally not well known for their reliability. But my 96 Firebird was rock solid reliable. The 3800 GM V6 motors are excellent. The fuel economy wasn't top notch (in fact, I think that the LT1 engines were more fuel efficient), but the car was fun to own and drive. I miss it!

1996 firebird v6 3.8
By brandon on 09/29/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

My firebird is equipped with a 3.8 L v6, t-tops and and some nice rims and i am very happy with it.The power is amazing. I put headers, cold air intake and did some head work to mine and it will rip the tires off. The fuel economy is great. This car is all around fun to drive. The only reason I would sell this car is to by a v8 model.

great car to keep
By jamey b on 11/29/06 15:05 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I have the `96 bird and an `01 grand am gt1 anniversary edition. The grand am will be out of my inventory long before the bird. I can't believe how well it has held up mechanically and stylishly. I am going to be pleased to give it a pimpin in the springtime. It is going to be a classic some day!

awesome all around car
By pontiacfreak on 09/03/06 18:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

this is my second car i've owned, my first was a 91 grand prix and it was an awsome little car, but i decided to sell it to get something that was a little quicker. which is my firebird. Its a good looking car with the power to back it up, even with the 3.8L in it. The car had a few minor problems when i bought it, but all were very cheap and easy fixes, and haven't had a problem with it since. And just add a few performance parts to these things and they REALLY move, i have just a few minor bolt on parts and im able to beat V8 mustangs with it! And i use mine as a race car and it has close to 130000 miles on it.

Awesome car, horrible dealership
By GMOPAR on 09/02/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Well i bought this car as a replacement for my 92 lebaron convertible, yeah it was a lebaron BUT i had owned it long enough to finally get ALL the jitters out of it. Now the Firebird a V6 Manual is the best daily driver i've ever had with reguarly over 21 MPG in the city! Only problem is, it's a used car and with that comes the growing pains of getting used to it. I've fixed almost all the initial jitters (most of which could have been avoided had the dealership Pete Moore of Pensacola been at ALL honest with me) Now all i gotta do is get a new fuel pump and it'll be all good.

good car
By pontiacfan06 on 01/16/06 20:14 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

i just purchesed this car and i love it. this car is 10 years old with 119,000 miles on it and it runs very good. the interior is very comfortable with the bucket seats. the engine has plenty of power especialy for a V6. the car had a few minor problems. most of which are fixed already. i already have plans for a few performance upgrades which should make this car a real beast.

A Riot to Drive, Still Turns Heads!
By Jeff on 07/15/05 14:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car as a first car, and I could not be more pleased. I have owned it for a little over a year now, and I am still thrilled everytime I head out on the road. It is the V6 model, and all things considered, it is very peppy! With a few tweaks and mods the V6 can really move. Torquey enough to light up the tires as well! Reliability has been great. Nothing out of the ordinary has gone wrong with a car that is ten years old. Replace the fuilds, filters, plugs, gaskets and everything is running smooth. Ride quality is very good, not harsh over bumps, little body roll in the corners. It is much more responsive than my buddy's Mustang. Overall, A great buy!

Cops follow me when I'm driving my bird!
By firebirdgoddess9 on 06/14/05 12:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I love my firebird so much. I got it used and i wish i didn't because the person before got into a crash and had some paint marks and dents left behind but i still love it. the only problem i have is that the a/c makes a funny smell after its been on for 1/2 hour or more. i just need to turn it off and then back on and it goes away. but in the summer time it over heats easy with the a/c on. The covering on the diverside door is coming off, but that can be fixed easly. but other wise i love my car.

the bird
By the bird on 01/22/05 23:11 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

Good running vehicle. Lots of pick up power. Good handling. Very tough engine. 112000 miles and still going.

My Baby Black Firebird
By BeckySue on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I owned a 1984 white Firebird previously, and swore I would own another one. Well my wish came true last April when driving past the Used Car place on my way to work. I really wasn't getting too excited about this car, because a previous excitement about a green Firebird the year before fell through. Since I wasn't too excited, I felt that fates aligned and I was destined to own this car. I absolutely love my car!!! I have had it a year now, and nothing has gone wrong with it. My previous Firebird went kaput around 60,000 miles, but this one is going on 70,000 now and the only thing I have fixed have been the brakes and oil changes.