1996 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:
love my car
By jjolin94 on 01/27/13 18:19 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula 2dr Hatchback

i love my 96 formula it has 3:73 gears hurst throwshifter cold air intake front line lock and all around a very sound car. i have a question tho, if any of u can help there is a squeaking noise comming from the front end that i cnt figure out i dont no if its common or not if u can help it would be great. and another thing is there any other way to increase the horse power of this fire breathing beast it already has freekesh power but i want more of it thanks for the help.

Fun car. Not reliable at all
By transamlady on 03/14/11 02:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This is a fun car to drive, Without a doubt! Love the design and overall look of the car. But the car is not very reliable. This cars makes a bad daily driver. It's not good on gas and a lot of stuff brakes on it. I had this car for almost 2 years and had problems the whole time. The transmission died on it at 125k and the motor fried up at about 135k .... The rear is still good (original rear now with 136k) I had this car towed twice... Once for the opti spark and another time for the motor (when it seized) If you decide to buy one. Spend a little more and get a nice clean one with low miles that was taken car of. this cars are very fickle. Prepare to spend lots of money on repairs!

GM masterpiece
By NUNPUNCHER on 06/24/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

If you are going to buy one of these cars and plan on having a fast fun modded car, buy one that has a 6 spd and ws 6 package. Your life will be easier. Mine is an auto and I kicked myself after putting headers, 4.10 gears, full exhaust, 52 mm throttle body, bigger cam, basically put nuts in the motor. Now I can't drive it on the freeway due to the gears. Other than that I love it and wouldn't sell it for anything but a 6 spd ha ha. The only problem I've had was the fuel pump. I got 25 mpg around town before mods now it's more like 18, but that's the price you pay for power. Don't waste your hard earned money on a slow mustang. They are garbage and you'll be smoked by the red dragon.

Firebird of Paradise
By CamaroFan13r on 10/03/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I am the former owner of a 1996 Pontiac Firebird, with the 3800 V6 engine. I miss my car. I was constrained by necessity to sell her in Feb. 2009. But for ten years, this car served me well. The V6 engine had good performance, with 200HP and 225 lb/ft of torque. But what really impressed me was the reliability of the car. I have owned other Camaros and Firebirds in the past. I love these cars, but they are generally not well known for their reliability. But my 96 Firebird was rock solid reliable. The 3800 GM V6 motors are excellent. The fuel economy wasn't top notch (in fact, I think that the LT1 engines were more fuel efficient), but the car was fun to own and drive. I miss it!

1996 firebird v6 3.8
By brandon on 09/29/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

My firebird is equipped with a 3.8 L v6, t-tops and and some nice rims and i am very happy with it.The power is amazing. I put headers, cold air intake and did some head work to mine and it will rip the tires off. The fuel economy is great. This car is all around fun to drive. The only reason I would sell this car is to by a v8 model.

Nice Car
By Craig on 08/18/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula 2dr Hatchback

I traded my 1970 El Camino for this 1996 firebird with the LT1 motor in it. The guy before me put on hooker headers, Flow masters, cold air flow, lowered the rear end, put 6 way springs in the front end. This car is a rocket ship! It will blow any stock V8 away. Plus it looks nice and rides like a new car.

The Little Things
By Mike on 04/21/08 08:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Convertible

I have the T-Top version with the 3.8 L 3800 Series II. The power is good and it's fun to drive. However, I've had to replace the motors in the windows, the oil pressure sensor, a power steering line, and the muffler has a hole in it. Also, the head light motors are out. It is reliable though I've only towed it twice. Just be ready for the little things.

Not really reliable.
By Jonathan on 08/16/07 21:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula 2dr Hatchback

I owned one of these for 2 years. I had to spend 6000 in maintaining the vehicle. Be careful of who you buy it from and get an ASE certified mechanic to check it out first.

great car to keep
By jamey b on 11/29/06 15:05 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I have the `96 bird and an `01 grand am gt1 anniversary edition. The grand am will be out of my inventory long before the bird. I can't believe how well it has held up mechanically and stylishly. I am going to be pleased to give it a pimpin in the springtime. It is going to be a classic some day!

By chad on 11/29/06 01:09 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula 2dr Hatchback

FUN! BUY ONE! i just got mine and i can't wait to bring it to the track! what a blast!