Used 1995 Pontiac Firebird Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1995 Pontiac Firebird

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Good eye pleaser and fun !
By Justin

1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Convertible

I have a mostly stock LT1 engine except for aftermarket headers. It's a fun car, and even stock it has descent power. I fell in love with mine and don't think I will ever get rid of it. Some issues have arose though, and there can be some annoying problems. First the dash and interior seem kind of cheap and will break very easily if you let it bake in the sun. Also mine (automatic) has some overheating issues that I can't seem to fix. I guess after looking around online It seems all LT1 engines seem to run hot. The fans wont turn on until its at 226 degrees which is past the halfway point on the engine temp gauge. It seems to overheat when idling, mainly at stop lights but will go back down when you drive. Ive had to replace 4 transmission mounts since I got it. The rubber mount was completely torn in half, so i had another installed. The very first time I floored it, the mount broke again. Finally I ordered a polyurethane transmission mount and engine mounts kit. The new tranny mount is holding up like a champ and seems very strong, but I have yet to install the new motor mounts. Other than heating and driveline problems the car is still awesome! Believe me when I say this car will get you laid lol. Lots of looks from people driving by and prepare for every ricer that tries racing you at every stop light (which I dont care because I always win) . Overall the car is powerful and will throw you back in your seat and has the potential to be a very fast track / weekend car. Im at 146,000 miles and the LT1 is still holding up and can take some abuse. I plan on just running the lt1 till it dies and probably LS swap it .

TA
By guilt1

1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 2005 and have had very few problems with it. The car handles amazingly well. The engine runs strong and I haven't experienced any major issues with it yet. The 275 hp LT1 is a little down on horsepower, but that can be solved with just a few small and fairly cheap modifications. In my personal experience with the car, I find the more I do to it, the more it rewards me with better gas mileage, more horsepower, and more fun when I plant the gas pedal. The seats are comfortable even on fairly long drives. If your car has t-tops then I highly recommend getting T-top shades on hot summer days. This car is for sure one that I would like to keep around for the long run.

I would have to say that the LT1 engine would be my favorite part of this car. This engine has a lot of potential and should not be counted out in whatever setting you use it for... be it track, strip, or street use. The exteriors low and sinister stance doesn't hurt the car either.

If the Trans Am was still being made today I would recommend they add a little more storage to the interior, such as a place to put a cell phone or other small items. I would also suggest adding more cup holders, and putting them in different places, besides where you rest your elbow.

1995 Trans Am
By wager03

1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Hatchback

This car is wonderful. It has everything you could want in a sports car. A big engine, great exterior looks, an old school exhaust tone. I have had this car since 2005 and haven't had any problems with it besides a speed sensor going out, and a minor oil leak due to the fact that the previous owner didn't tighten the oil pan enough. With improvements has only come better fuel mileage and more horsepower. The car handles extremely well even at high speeds giving a feeling of complete control to the driver. The 5.7 liter LT1 while underpowered if stock, has a lot of potential. It is a hard car to find parts for though, and because the engine area is so crowded it can be a hard car to work on

LT1 engine, body style, seating, handling, and all around dependability.

More places to put things such as cell phones and or other small items besides in the center console. Relocated cup holders... not to mention... more cup holders.

Can You Say Bye Bye?
By bjferge

1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 2dr Convertible

I bought this almost 10yrs ago, and I'm still in love. The power, the performance and handling, you can not ask for better. It will blow the doors off on just about the road today. This car ain't a child's toy. Seats are great, but don't have a bad back. Hard to get out of.

My favorite thing about this car is how it looks. It demands respect on the road, and it can back it up. Been known to drag race few high performance cars. They haven't been able to touch the power of a LT1 350 Corvette engine.

The only thing I would wish for is a car higher off the ground. I hurt my back, and haven't been able to drive it. It's on it's way to be traded in on a SUV. CRY! CRY!

Love and Hate Relationship
By whitetree

1995 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback

I absolutely loved this car. The interior is comfortable, the sound system is fantastic, and easily upgraded, and the T tops are awesome! Performance is a little lacking in the v6 model, but still fun. However it requires a lot of upkeep on a variety of parts and accessories. The worst part of this car, and ultimate reason I got rid of it is that every little thing you work on is a monumental task, especially when you need to get to the half the engine tucked under the dash.

Beautiful body styling

Power window motors are terrible, poor overall reliability, intolerable to work on.