Used 1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

My Personal Batmobile
By Batmobile

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Trans Am GT 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Firebird Trans Am GT for 13 years. Powerful, fun and more power than I should have. Doesn't fit in with transporting kids, though I used to have the childcare seat in the backseat. Few repairs (muffler, radiator) and great value. The 8 cyl 5.7L will spin out still on too strong an acceleration while on a curve or a curve with wet road while punching it. Nothing beats the sound of the engine idling. Low gas mileage, but better than my GMC Envoy. Point of nose is so far forward and out of driver's vision that it is forever getting dinged and dented. Wider than one would expect.

Favorite Features

The engine idling and going "VRUMM VRUMM VRUMM". Accelerating while going through six speeds. Shifting into sixth speed and setting the cruise at 75 mph and seeing less than 3000 rpm.

Suggested Improvements

Shrink the nose point as it gets scratched and dinged over and over through the years.

I Own One, Trust me!
By Christine LaPointe

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Trans Am GT 2dr Coupe

On a damp Rd I excelerated only a little bit & car lost traction.I WAS careful-still happened.Massive body damage-very small collision. Its nearly impossible to clean under & around seats & any inevitable spills into gear shifter that the design of car provokes.

Favorite Features

Speed. Sound of the engine, trans. perform button.All included options.Bose speakers.

Suggested Improvements

more horse, better traction in all conditions. better cupholders that produce less damaging spills into gear shift. Stop rain buildup from pouring directly onto elec.panel on door.

Fast, fun, but NOT an everyday driver
By dyoes2000

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Trans Am GT 2dr Coupe

It's a poor man's Corvette! The LT1 engine is marvelous, it makes a ton of torque (325 ft/lbs) and is a joy to drive. I don't put many miles on mine (<4000/yr), but it seems to be holding up fairly well. As is typical for GM cars, body fit is terrible. The driver's side window won't roll up all the way with the door open. This is on a garaged and pampered car! There's been a loud clunk in the rear since day one, can't find it, but it's persisted.

Favorite Features

Engine, engine, engine! The LT1 and 6- speed manual are a perfect combination. It's noisy and racous when it should be, but fairly civilized at highway speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Body fit. The seat bolster wears on the driver's side from entry and exit. Why didn't Pontiac fix this, as it's only been doing it for 20 years on this seat style? The stock radio/CD player is terrible. Annoying red dash lighting.

Trans Am GT
By red_blood

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Trans Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is without a doubt the best car to buy for the money. It's fast, fun, and reliable. I can't believe that they stopped making them.

Favorite Features

The Power, leather, sound, and did I say power?

Suggested Improvements

Some kind of anti radar/laser system so I don't get pulled over.

Still rollin'
By 1ofU

1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GT Trans Am GT 2dr Coupe

Ordered this car from the assembly line, waited 5 months for it. It was worth the wait. Fun, quick, and easy to look at, I still get compliments. Cheap plastic interior panels were tastefully designed. Minor interior improvements needed to improve overall functionality. Some vibration noise. Exterior is aggressive enough to intimidate other sports cars, yet refined enough to drive take to diner. Water pump sprung a leak at 80K. No other service required. I love this car! Don't ever want to sell.

Favorite Features

275HP. This engine rocks! Teamed up with a great suspension, this car is a lot of fun to drive. I also like the smoother exterior vs. the new look for 2000.

Suggested Improvements

The "skip-shift" feature has got to go. It doesn't work in the real world anyway (only available with the six- speed).