Used 1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Nickel and Dimed
By 94frbdrd94

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Formula 2dr Hatchback

The car is overall a nice car for its time. However owning one today for me is very costly. I have more money in repairs than what the car is worth or what I paid for it and the car has under 60,000 miles. Maybe some last longer, but mine has been giving me grief ever since I owned it. Right now it is messed up and nobody has been able to figure out why. I'm tired of repairing things, and think I'm going to just sell it for a loss. I advise you to look into the reliability of these cars before purchasing. Some can last a long time, but mine has been horrible. I got to know a few mechanics well unfortunately.

Favorite Features

Decent looking, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

more reliable, seems to combine a lot of bad ideas to me in the design

Couldn't buy this car from me.
By Firebirds Rule

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is by far the best and most fun car Ive driven. I've added K&N air intake and flowmaster exhaust, tinted the windows extremely dark, and added chrome rims and performance tires. Just added a top notch sound system, replaced everything, and I couldn't be happier with the car. It may have a TMV of $2300, or whatever, but there is no way I'd sell it for triple that. I would drive this car every mile for the rest of my life if I could, unfortunately there is no car that lasts that long.

Favorite Features

The look is what originally drew me in to the Firebird, the performance is what pulled money outta my pocket. I love the feel of driving it, the wheel, the seat, everything.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would change is the ability to have a power sunroof installed. I would've had one about ten years ago if it was possible.

Been a good car
By Bob

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Formula 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my car for about 4 years now. So far I have added a lot of mods to make it faster and the LT1 responds very well to simple bolt ons. This car is a lot of fun to drive but can be dangerous in the rain. I would suggest you learn how to do all the repairs yourself if you intend to buy one of these cars since I consider the majority of shops to be scam artists. If you want to learn more about the Pontiac Firebird, all Generations, come check out FirebirdNation.com

Favorite Features

Torque, Horsepower, Handling, T-tops in summer, looks, and comfort. This car is an all around fun car. Plus, you can smoke brand new mustangs in an 11 year old car.

Suggested Improvements

Servicability could be drastically improved. GM decided to make the engine compartment very tight. In addition, the opti-spark should have been eliminated and made more resistant to water. Whey did GM stick a water sensitive device under the waterpump??

Great car
By tom

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car 5 years ago with 50k miles. Now has 120k. No major problems during that time - just a bad alternator and a water pump that I replaced. The only real maintenance I've done is change the oil every 5k miles with mobil1 synthetic. The clutch feels like it's finally wearing out and I'll probably need to replace it soon. The 3.4L v6 (160hp) isn't exactly fast, but isn't slow either. Seems just as fast as when I first drove it. Great car and seems like it will last up to 200k miles with no real problems. Gets gas mileage around 19mpg city and 30mpg on long trips.

Favorite Features

Looked pretty weird when this body style first came out, but looks great compared to most of today's cars. Great longevity if taken care of properly.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat could have used a bit more leg room.

Who'dve Thunk It?
By Robpat

1994 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Formula 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for quite a while now. I have 164,000 miles on the original engine. Although repairs on this car are pricy, I haven't experienced many at all. I had to have the catalytic converter changed ($1,100) and the muffler. I put a flowmaster on it which really makes it sound awesome. My 5.7L V8 will still kick you back into the seat if you step on it, and delivers about 23 mpg.

Favorite Features

The look of the car, and obviously the acceleration and handling. I can take almost any curve at twice the posted speed. *Do not try this at home!*

Suggested Improvements

Could make the engine a liitle more serviceable by the average person.