A great experience
By groupb on
1990 Pontiac Firebird 2dr Hatchback
I bought my 2.8 V6 brand new in 1988, it was the only manual transmission they had on the lot in Phoenix. The stick helps the acceleration dramatically. A chip didn't bring much improvment. The AC was great and needed in AZ when I moved to the NW the lack of a rear defroster was felt immediately. Car looked awesome when new, great now. 1988 cars if still on the road look outdated, not the Firebird. It was my daily driver for many years. Once I got more cars, and the Firebird was parked for extended periods, problems began, now I fixed them and try to rotate my cars so all get street time. 4 studded tires was the only way to drive in the snow. Love it today just as much as I did 24 years ago
Favorite Features
It has my favorite driving position.For fast driving, the seat, wheel and most importantly the shifter are perfectly placed for my liking. Four studded tires made winter driving fun, drifiting this car is so easy and the car is so predictable. Not too user friendly, but predictable. Great car to teach rear wheel drive techniques. Not great for long trips, low driving position may be good for fast driving, but my back never enjoyed long trips. Engine sounds great, car looks good, driving for two it's a lot of fun. I always trust this car that it will start in the morning, and most importantly, it will bring me back home every time.
Suggested Improvements
120K miles since 88. The ignition module is one thing that went out several times, have no idea why, I assume it happened after the car was parked for long periods. Radiator, two clutches, fuel pump, cold temp sensor, starter,that's about all that went wrong with it.Pretty easy to work on, did most of the things myself. I had to change the fuel injectors in 91 or 92, when they were using oxygenated fuel or something like that during winter months, lot of cars had simlilar problems.