Used 2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

Been Everything I Wanted...Almost
By nickf1995

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is the car that I wanted since 7th grade, and finally this past May I had the opportunity to purchase one! I absolutely love the styling, particularly on the exterior. The pearl white shimmers in the sun and is gorgeous to look at. The tan interior is great as well, although I have been a bit disappointed with some of the material qualities, particularly on the ceiling panel and dashboard. I bought the car with 63,000 miles and have put on another 3,000 to date. Other than a couple of major repairs up front (engine mount and instrument panel) this car has been practically problem free. I love the power and handling and plan on keeping it for a very long time!

Favorite Features

I love the style and power--driving a V8 at 19 makes you feel pretty awesome! The amenities this car comes with are great. In particular, the driver information center has proven very helpful; especially when my fuel gauge went down for a couple weeks! I also like the sporty touches on the interior trim such as the aluminum shifter/door handles and fiberglass vent trim. The power sun roof, memory seats, and dual climate control give the car an upscale feel, but I love the fact that this car provides a whole host of luxury options without the overused faux-wood trim and cashmere leather look of most comparable luxury vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

I am disappointed with the quality and durability of some of the interior materials. I feel that for a 35K car GM should have done a better job with this. The ceiling panel seems poorly constructed and covered with a cheap-looking fabric. Both are separating from the roof and starting to sag as well--very frustrating and disappointing. Also, the black exterior window trim was severely sun damaged when I bought the car. Up close it looks pretty bad. The car came from temperate San Diego, so this isn't explainable except for poor material quality, in my opinion. Finally, gas mileage is pretty poor, although I knew this before I bought it. Definitely more suited to highway driving!

Love-Hate Relationship
By andacious

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

To start, I love Bonnevilles. I owned a '98 Bonnie all through high school and college and it served me well. Bought this GXP once I graduated, and its definitely a love-hate relationship. As far as style, this car has it. Interior, exterior, handling, performance - all fantastic. However, the biggest issue I have with this car is the reliability. I bought it with 64k on it and in 2.5 years I'm at 83k and have put over $8,000 worth or repairs into it (I have a warranty). There is no way that it should need this many repairs when its just a daily driver with less than 10k a year.

Favorite Features

Handling - this car handles like a dream, I have never driven another car that has even come close. Style - the exterior styling is really nice, I still love it after 2.5 years and think "I can't believe I'm driving that!" The interior styling, while slightly dated, still looks nice and is very functional. Performance - the V8 has plenty of power, although the FWD really lowers its potential. Accelerates like a typical FWD car (mushy), but has a bunch of extra power that makes it scary easy to go from 55 to 80. Passing is a breeze. Transmission - the over-sized tranny is really nice. Shifts well and handles the V8 power nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability - this car has **severe** reliability issues. I could write a book with the list of parts that have been replaced. These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head: - rack and pinion (leaking all over) - engine mount (just one) - rear valve cover (3 times now, dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold) - ignition coil (2 failed at once) - water pump (that went out on the highway in winter) - oil pan gasket (leaked a bunch) - coolant crossover (leaked a bunch) - front left brake caliper - and supposedly the head gasket is starting to leak, which is an incredibly expensive fix - and many more miscellaneous repairs

Love this car
By D J McCue

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this GXP in Feb 2005; actually bought it for my wife; not only does she love it , but I like to drive it; I grew up in the muscle car era and this reminds me of it. Love the Northstar V8. The car has been very reliable with decent mileage considering the power available City 14.5/Highway about 23. Love the HUD, memory driver features(seats & mirror, plus radio. Ours is Black with Grey interior; it's a real head turner. The car is garage kept and has very low mileage (driven to/from grocery store by a little old lady; we are in our late 60s). Her previous car was a 1996 T-Top Camaro RS, with 3.8L V-6, also low mileage, 10 years, 34,000. We plan on keeping the GXP a Long time!

Favorite Features

HUD, Northstar, memory seats etc, 4 Wheel Disk brakes, red dash lights, sound system, throaty exhaust sound, compliments of everyone who sees the car

Suggested Improvements

None really! Bring the Pontiac line back and bring back the Bonneville GXP, the only way I might consider another GM

love it - style, performance, economy
By clevelandbonneville

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great. I bought with 90K. It now has 102K. I love the style. Very stylish car. Its big!! Its comfy. It has a very quiet cabin. The gm 3.8 is an amazing engine. Actually got 30 mpg when doing a highway trip of 480 miles. with 16 gallons of gas. It has a big gas tank at 18 gallons. Don't need to fill up much. Normal MPG is about 25 with highway/city mix and not winter out. One problem it died on me on the freeway. Kinda scary. It was the Mass airflow sensor. It happened out of nowhere. No engine lights. I would replace this at 100k miles or sooner. That's when it died on me. Besides for that no problems. You can probably have autozone replace for you.

Favorite Features

style, motor, stereo, pretty much whole car. What a stylish car. I think they look cooler than cadillacs honestly.

Suggested Improvements

nothing. Let engine light warn you of an impending serious problem like mass airflow sensor going.

Amazing underrated car
By clevelandbonneville

2005 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

So far owned for 3,000 miles. I got this beautiful car for a bargain price with 90k miles. It drives like it has 30k miles. I've gotten between 23 and 27 mpg per tank so far. Nothing has broken except for a burned out head- light bulb. Very smooth torquey engine with silky smooth shifting transmission. Lots of style. More style than all the imports for sure. I love the look from the back and side especially. Only cool Chryslers and Dodge's have more style but they are troublesome. This car feels heavy and well-built and safe. Nice looking interior with a large trunk and back seat. This car is big and a bit tricky to maneuver in parking lots and city but its a dream on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Powerful 3.8 and smooth transmission. Great sounding radio with song/artist display. Stylish and uniquely American exterior and interior.

Suggested Improvements

none.