Used 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

Been Everything I Wanted...Almost
By nickf1995

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is the car that I wanted since 7th grade, and finally this past May I had the opportunity to purchase one! I absolutely love the styling, particularly on the exterior. The pearl white shimmers in the sun and is gorgeous to look at. The tan interior is great as well, although I have been a bit disappointed with some of the material qualities, particularly on the ceiling panel and dashboard. I bought the car with 63,000 miles and have put on another 3,000 to date. Other than a couple of major repairs up front (engine mount and instrument panel) this car has been practically problem free. I love the power and handling and plan on keeping it for a very long time!

I love the style and power--driving a V8 at 19 makes you feel pretty awesome! The amenities this car comes with are great. In particular, the driver information center has proven very helpful; especially when my fuel gauge went down for a couple weeks! I also like the sporty touches on the interior trim such as the aluminum shifter/door handles and fiberglass vent trim. The power sun roof, memory seats, and dual climate control give the car an upscale feel, but I love the fact that this car provides a whole host of luxury options without the overused faux-wood trim and cashmere leather look of most comparable luxury vehicles.

I am disappointed with the quality and durability of some of the interior materials. I feel that for a 35K car GM should have done a better job with this. The ceiling panel seems poorly constructed and covered with a cheap-looking fabric. Both are separating from the roof and starting to sag as well--very frustrating and disappointing. Also, the black exterior window trim was severely sun damaged when I bought the car. Up close it looks pretty bad. The car came from temperate San Diego, so this isn't explainable except for poor material quality, in my opinion. Finally, gas mileage is pretty poor, although I knew this before I bought it. Definitely more suited to highway driving!

Love-Hate Relationship
By andacious

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

To start, I love Bonnevilles. I owned a '98 Bonnie all through high school and college and it served me well. Bought this GXP once I graduated, and its definitely a love-hate relationship. As far as style, this car has it. Interior, exterior, handling, performance - all fantastic. However, the biggest issue I have with this car is the reliability. I bought it with 64k on it and in 2.5 years I'm at 83k and have put over $8,000 worth or repairs into it (I have a warranty). There is no way that it should need this many repairs when its just a daily driver with less than 10k a year.

Handling - this car handles like a dream, I have never driven another car that has even come close. Style - the exterior styling is really nice, I still love it after 2.5 years and think "I can't believe I'm driving that!" The interior styling, while slightly dated, still looks nice and is very functional. Performance - the V8 has plenty of power, although the FWD really lowers its potential. Accelerates like a typical FWD car (mushy), but has a bunch of extra power that makes it scary easy to go from 55 to 80. Passing is a breeze. Transmission - the over-sized tranny is really nice. Shifts well and handles the V8 power nicely.

Reliability - this car has **severe** reliability issues. I could write a book with the list of parts that have been replaced. These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head: - rack and pinion (leaking all over) - engine mount (just one) - rear valve cover (3 times now, dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold) - ignition coil (2 failed at once) - water pump (that went out on the highway in winter) - oil pan gasket (leaked a bunch) - coolant crossover (leaked a bunch) - front left brake caliper - and supposedly the head gasket is starting to leak, which is an incredibly expensive fix - and many more miscellaneous repairs

Love this car
By D J McCue

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this GXP in Feb 2005; actually bought it for my wife; not only does she love it , but I like to drive it; I grew up in the muscle car era and this reminds me of it. Love the Northstar V8. The car has been very reliable with decent mileage considering the power available City 14.5/Highway about 23. Love the HUD, memory driver features(seats & mirror, plus radio. Ours is Black with Grey interior; it's a real head turner. The car is garage kept and has very low mileage (driven to/from grocery store by a little old lady; we are in our late 60s). Her previous car was a 1996 T-Top Camaro RS, with 3.8L V-6, also low mileage, 10 years, 34,000. We plan on keeping the GXP a Long time!

HUD, Northstar, memory seats etc, 4 Wheel Disk brakes, red dash lights, sound system, throaty exhaust sound, compliments of everyone who sees the car

None really! Bring the Pontiac line back and bring back the Bonneville GXP, the only way I might consider another GM

Bonneville Good But Bad
By fig newton

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

GPX is a great car, but if you buy a used one please get a 0 deductible warranty. Have had $6000.00 of work done. lucky all but about $800 was covered (Shocks and brake-not covered), all problems caught by dealer during normal maintenance. The problems,oil and H2O leaks, rear drive problem, Onstar/radio, control for heat and air condition, wheel bearings eta. I have one year left on warranty- lucky me.

Love everything about the car, especially my warranty and GMC dealer finding and fixing problems.

No more Pontiac, I am sad, guess I will have to get a CTS-VJ. Two years old will have to do!!!!!

We love this car
By D McCue

2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this car in Feb 2005; we have had abolutely no troubles with it. It is fun to drive, reminds me somewhat of the muscle car era I grew up in with a touch of class & luxury. Ours is Black with gray/black leather interior. We get the oil changed every 4-5 months as we don't drive a lot of miles, pleasure only, three vacation trips of 1,500-1,600 miles or so included in the 14,700 now on the car. Actually it is my wife's car; her previous car was a 34,000 mile, T-Top 1996 Camaro; she didn't drive that one much either; about 6 vacation trips in that car; it had the 3000 V-6

HUD, memory seats, DIC, red backlighted dash at night, Northstar V- 8, reasonable highway mileage, dual A/C controls, awesome sound system

Bring back Pontiac, especially performance models of Bonneville