2002 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:
Can't Ask For More
By jyanis on 12/17/13 06:21 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Gem almost 3 years ago at 140K+ miles. I was hesitant because of the very high mileage but I was told it took routing trips that stretched several states by the owner. He also had done a lot of work to get it ready for it's next owner. Well, I am at 196K+ and I have only changed the oil. Very reliable and still strong even though it is a senior citizen mileage wise. I drive it hard and still get 22 MPG on EVERY tank. That is an accomplishment because I burn gasoline...lol! She is very comfortable and roomy...I am 6'1" and 270lbs. Not confined at all. Another BIG plus! If you can find one in good condition, you will be pleased. The push-rod motor will run forever!!

Very Quirky
By oldwiz09 on 02/07/13 13:01 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm experiencing the same problems as many of these reviewers. I've had 3 window regulators go bad and replaced them myself, which wasn't bad once I figured out how to remove the door panels. Interior lights frequently blow the fuse. Just replaced heater blower motor and resistor. Intermediate steering shaft bumps but tech bulletins say this poses no real problems. IP lights are slowly fading out. I have enjoyed owning this car overall but all these quirks make me want to never own another GM product.

GOOD CAR
By cyclone10 on 12/24/10 06:17 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Bonneville new in 2002. It is the best car I have ever owned. I have owned new Dodges and Fords. I have been a Ford fan for most of my life.am a Ford person, but this has been the best car by far I have ever owned. Still own it.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr 3.8L 6cyl
By Leon on 05/30/10 08:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new 9/2001. bad move. poorly built, just a bad car. Fun to drive when it's running. With Goodyear Assurance tires (soft ride), rides like a Cadillac. nice mileage for a big car, decent handling, fairly peppy. But - replaced lower intake manifold gasket twice ($700+ job), 1st time at 35,000 miles, 2nd at 95,000 miles. All 4 electric window units replaced, bad leaking problem, rain leaked into / under 3 of the doors and pooled on the carpeting. 8 trips to dealer. Moon roof was only used 15 times, then the linkage cracked and fell apart. $1200 to fix - I opted to seal it shut with gasket compound. Window washer motor replaced. A lot of rattles. My wife refuses to drive it.

I love this car! Exept...
By LoverofALLPontiacs on 03/10/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love all Pontiacs. This is my second Pontiac. My first one, 96 Grand Am GT, was crap. I decided to try again. There are many electrical problems, which is typical of Pontiacs. The lights for the controls on the dash work when they want to. Minus the electrical issues, I love this car. More than most Pontiacs. I am 22 and do not feel like I am driving a grandma car because the sporty styling makes up for it being a boat.

2002 Bonneville SE
By Bennett on 10/26/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We would not recommend this car to anyone. We have problems with the sunroof leaking, the windshield leaks, the control for the heated seats doesn't work. We had it replaced twice. The steering wheel has a hang in it when turning left. The antifreeze that is recommended for this car clogs us the radiator, and there is a gasket that leaks water into the motor.

There are reasons they stopped making it
By Tom on 09/11/07 20:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Water still leaks into car during heavy rain storms despite 10 trips to different dealers and numerous contacts with the Pontiac folks. Back of front seats had to be replaced-they fell apart on their own, as did the rear window regulator assemblies (both within two days, $530 each). Wires fell down from behind the dash and had to be replaced along with defective lights. Firestone tires stink-two blow outs at lower speeds and Firestone dealers will not honor warranty (similar problems with Saturn I had previously). Then there's the normal irritants such as an ash tray that rattles constantly, and the lug nut caps that keep flying off (the dealers want $6 each, junk yards sometimes are free).

Love my Bonneville!
By lreed on 04/18/07 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have loved this car since the day I bought it new in July 2002. It has required no major repairs and still runs smooth after 100,000 miles. Regular oil changes are the best investment you'll ever make in your car. I only wish Pontiac still made them so I could buy another. Guess I'll have to settle for a G6.

Let Pontiac deal with this crap
By miket on 10/11/06 13:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in October 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. It now has 64,000, and I've had nothing but problems. The reason for buying the car was that I wanted a large vehicle that didn't look like an "Old man's" car, and the fact that my uncle owned two Bonneville's previously with little or no mechanical problems. Much to my dissapointment, this car has failed me miserably. The first year wasn't too bad, because it was still under warranty. I've always had a steering problem, with a slight knocking sound and "bump" felt when turning. This has graduated to a whining noise. Replaced the trans 3 months ago. I could go on, but to hell with GM - tried Ford; looks like foreign now!

Don't Buy New
By kt'sbonnie on 01/09/06 10:57 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used SE summer of 2004. Avoided some of that massive depreciation. Was a GM buyback because of water leak. Dealer said window seal fixed problem but I took it in twice before they un- clogged door drain holes. Water was coming in at bottom of door seal. Seems to be fixed, but now that warranty is out interior light fuse has blown several times. Concerning complaints about water in trunk, I've found that this gets in when the car is wet and trunk is opened. Lot of wind noise on driver's side. Firestone Affinity tires need help. Otherwise car is comfy with a great engine and my transmission has worked fine.