2002 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:
Can't Ask For More
By jyanis on 12/17/13 06:21 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Gem almost 3 years ago at 140K+ miles. I was hesitant because of the very high mileage but I was told it took routing trips that stretched several states by the owner. He also had done a lot of work to get it ready for it's next owner. Well, I am at 196K+ and I have only changed the oil. Very reliable and still strong even though it is a senior citizen mileage wise. I drive it hard and still get 22 MPG on EVERY tank. That is an accomplishment because I burn gasoline...lol! She is very comfortable and roomy...I am 6'1" and 270lbs. Not confined at all. Another BIG plus! If you can find one in good condition, you will be pleased. The push-rod motor will run forever!!

Very Quirky
By oldwiz09 on 02/07/13 13:01 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I'm experiencing the same problems as many of these reviewers. I've had 3 window regulators go bad and replaced them myself, which wasn't bad once I figured out how to remove the door panels. Interior lights frequently blow the fuse. Just replaced heater blower motor and resistor. Intermediate steering shaft bumps but tech bulletins say this poses no real problems. IP lights are slowly fading out. I have enjoyed owning this car overall but all these quirks make me want to never own another GM product.

bad situation
By streetside56 on 01/26/12 00:38 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

we have a 2002 bonneville sle its the best car my dad has owned but recently we have had some major problems. first off it started shifting hard we thought nothing of it until it started jerking when you accelerate. a little after that it started dying at street lights in the middle of traffic.we have replaced the coil packs and everything any help would be greatly appreciated.

GOOD CAR
By cyclone10 on 12/24/10 06:17 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Bonneville new in 2002. It is the best car I have ever owned. I have owned new Dodges and Fords. I have been a Ford fan for most of my life.am a Ford person, but this has been the best car by far I have ever owned. Still own it.

Amazing Car!
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Pontiac Bonneville a few months ago, and absolutley love it. I owned a '91 Bonneville before, and was very suprised at how reliable the car was even with it's old age. I expected nothing less from my new one, and found that it is just as reliable. It is a very smooth and comfortable ride. The car's V6 3800 engine gives it the kick one would expect, while maintaining that level of comfort that is needed for long car trips. It is a larger car, so as you could expect, it does not get the greatest gas milage. Like any car, it does have a few issues such as the leaky doors and trunk, the poping noice in the steering, and noicy exhaust. Other than that, it is an amazing car!

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr 3.8L 6cyl
By Leon on 05/30/10 08:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new 9/2001. bad move. poorly built, just a bad car. Fun to drive when it's running. With Goodyear Assurance tires (soft ride), rides like a Cadillac. nice mileage for a big car, decent handling, fairly peppy. But - replaced lower intake manifold gasket twice ($700+ job), 1st time at 35,000 miles, 2nd at 95,000 miles. All 4 electric window units replaced, bad leaking problem, rain leaked into / under 3 of the doors and pooled on the carpeting. 8 trips to dealer. Moon roof was only used 15 times, then the linkage cracked and fell apart. $1200 to fix - I opted to seal it shut with gasket compound. Window washer motor replaced. A lot of rattles. My wife refuses to drive it.

Amazing
By Chris J on 05/31/09 22:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

All the complaints dont define this car. Being a mechanic I know most of malfunctions are driver wear without maintnace. although there are somethings that just happen. the clunk noise in the front end is a strut plate the seals are just a litte flawed and owning many 3.8s the intake gaskets are only a matter of time. Fun to drive. Great gas mileage. Looks Sleek and has plenty of power and room if anyone complains about that tell them to get a mini van. Oh and one more thing. Start making them again !!!!

I love this car! Exept...
By LoverofALLPontiacs on 03/10/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love all Pontiacs. This is my second Pontiac. My first one, 96 Grand Am GT, was crap. I decided to try again. There are many electrical problems, which is typical of Pontiacs. The lights for the controls on the dash work when they want to. Minus the electrical issues, I love this car. More than most Pontiacs. I am 22 and do not feel like I am driving a grandma car because the sporty styling makes up for it being a boat.

No-More-GM
By Martyev on 11/24/08 11:25 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a loyal GM owner my whole life (now 45) and this is my last GM product. It is no wonder they are in the trouble they are. I have owned my Bonneville for almost 3 years. I love the comfort and it's a very fun car to drive. But if you read my review and other we all have the same problems. Mine has a bad noise in the front suspension. Persistent leaks. The rear spoiler allows water to store in the trunk lid and you get wet when you open the trunk after a heavy rain. I also leaks at the driver door and the rear floorboard. Had to replace a rear window motor and heated seat element failed.

2002 Bonneville SE
By Bennett on 10/26/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We would not recommend this car to anyone. We have problems with the sunroof leaking, the windshield leaks, the control for the heated seats doesn't work. We had it replaced twice. The steering wheel has a hang in it when turning left. The antifreeze that is recommended for this car clogs us the radiator, and there is a gasket that leaks water into the motor.