Used 2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

My 2000 Bonniville
By cmorgan429

2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This has been one of the best cars I have ever had. No mechanical problems in seven years except for a rear power window malfunction while under warranty. Great fuel mileage for a full sized car with the 3.8 V6. On trips I always get near or above 30mpg on the highway on regular fuel. Good power and smooth ride. Comfortable seating for my 6ft 4in frame. I only wish they still made them so I could get another new one.

Favorite Features

Great fuel mileage for a large car! Drives very nicely! Comfortable seating! Good sound system! Dependable! Exterior styling of the SE. SSEI nose was a little bizarre.

Suggested Improvements

Would have loved to see them revert this car to a V8 rear wheel drive platform rather than stoping production. Maybe the new G8 will suffice here.

OK , But not great!
By SeniorSooner

2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle new. Replaced water pump at 17000 mi, replaced ABS system at 38000 mi. Replaced tie rod ends, brakes at 52,000 mi. Replaced right rear window power motor about 55,000 mi. Radio has a mind of its own sometimes. Steering column continuously makes clunking noise when turning. GM says it needs to be serviced, but OK/safe to drive with the noise. Overall, I've spent less than $2000 out of pocket in 6 years. Engine and transmission seems to be the best part of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, chrome wheels, dash layout and lighting

Suggested Improvements

Power seat should have had power back tilt and lumbar. Steering and steering structure needs significant quality improvements. Wife would like to have side turning lights.

Jeff's 6 year itch
By Jeff's 6 year itch

2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

New 2 year old with 32k in 2002. 2 mnths later trans went. Dealer replaced at their cost, but forgot a few bolts during the repair. Yup fluids all over the engine and driveway. Rear window came off the track 2x's. Sunroof was completely replaced(glass and all) because of wind noise. Wonderful steering noise started just after 39k miles(sorry warranty done). After that my ignition key doesn't always want to turn (happens to both of my keys), and leaves the million dollar question- will it start today. 2 alternators later and 4 weeks after the last one car died again. To make if even better it was on my Birth Day (9/16). I only have 57k miles on a 6yr old car-why I ask do I have so many issues.

Favorite Features

Like the ride and style. Although mine is the SE, it has may bells and whistles (leather, track control, ABS).

Suggested Improvements

GMAC reps told me they are seeing many issues with the redesigned models. Let's improve on quality folks. It would be ok if the purchase price was slightly higher as a result. In the end it is the same old story PAY OF IT NOW, OR PAY FOR IT LATER-I prefer up front. Hope redesign brings back quality.

Pre-Retirement Thrill
By slnews

2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SLE 4dr Sedan

In my search for a comfortable, roomy car for a big and tall person like myself, the Bonneville was last on my short list. After driving it, I had to have it! Deceivingly roomy, yet drives and performs outstandingly. The creature features are just enough to pamper me but not too much to spoil me. I'd rather have a responsive "big" car in today's deteriorating roads, jam packed with inattentive (aka cell phone handicapped) drivers. The 3.8 liter V6 is the perfect bridge between typical 3.5's and less that cars around this weight class usually get, and the gas guzzling V8's. I don't know if it's on purpose, but Pontiac dual exhausts have always "growled", which you won't hear in a Buick!

Favorite Features

Speed Controlled Volume (SCV) of the stereo system is awesome, and the steering wheel controls are wonderful. Full power, leather buckets fit me like a glove, and the bulges at the 10- 2 positions on the steering wheel are perfect for my hand grips. Abundance of analog displays great for old timers.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk seal is easily damaged where you load objects, causing water seepage. Could have better protection for that. No option for front license plate - is that legal?

Excellent Fun Vehicle
By David Craig

2000 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSEi 4dr Sedan

This car handles like a dream - love to take it on curvy roads. The power is awesome and has great fuel economy when driving normally. Get lots of compliments on the exterior still (2006). Like that there are very few of these on the road and it has outrun anything I have raced against. The interior is very roomy and comfy. Love the dash and lighting design.

Favorite Features

The exterior look, Bose sound system, large car comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a recall on the steering problem. Everyone I know who owns this car has had it replaced at least once.