1998 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:
great car overall
By mashka on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 4dr Sedan

This car is very easy to drive and it gives you alot of safety due to its size.

1998 SSEi
By RyanMac on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 4dr Sedan

The Bonneville SSEi is just an amazing piece. It's very quick, handles well, and is completely loaded with every option. It also looks mean and catches eyes everywhere I go.

Point and shoot driving
By SlyDover on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 4dr Sedan

This 1998 Bonneville SSEi is my second Bonneville. I had my 1988 SSE for 7 years and loved it too. The 1998 is so much fun to drive, I can' believe it's legal. The dual mode suspension is great. The performance mode is very stiff and accomidates aggressive driving while the touring mode is perfect for gliding down the freeway. In performance mode you just point the car where you want and it goes there. Point and shoot driving at its best!

Reliability is not worth the price!
By ATS on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

We like the vehicle and the first 40,000 miles were fine. Then the problems began to appear. They included failed intake manifold (requiring engine rebuild) at 60K, ABS pump at 70K, transmission at 52K, radio twice, computer modules three times, and now at 105K, the manifold went again to the tune of $1200! For what we paid for the car, I would not recommend this model especially when GM has issued tech bulletins on these issues yet will not cover the repair costs.

ok car-nothing special
By gc22 on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

basic car nothing special good mpg reliable

Bad Manifold
By Rick Vines on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

Somewhere between 63000 and 69000 miles, my intake manifold leaked enough collant into my engine to destroy my lifters. The repair cost over $2000. Even though this was due to a design flaw and is a common problem, Pontiac told me that it's my problem and offered no assistance. The Pontiac dealer that did the repair said they have seen hundereds of these, and the replacement manifolds have been redesigned to address this problem. From what I've read, complete engine failure is not an uncommon result.

Same Engine Problem -Intake body
By CAF on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

Same experience as others ... cracked intake body allowing antifreeze to enter engine. A big mess ...about $2.2K in damage/repairs. Car never did seem to run well for a long period of time since we purchased it ... always replacing fuel injectors and plugs ... maybe that's why the original owner did a dump-n-run on it after 5K miles!?

1998 Bonneville
By JoeB. on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I have the standard model (SE), purchased as a lease-end car. I have seen some horrible reviews for this car, and I know a lady whose tranny went out over 90,000 miles. I have to say, though, that my car has been one of my all-time favs. It rides well, handles well, has adequate power, is reliable every day. It has 103,000 miles on it, still going strong.

No not a blown engine for $5,000.00 !
By CHW on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

Not recommended! The looks, ride and comfort are excellent, but it leaves alot to be desired from a reliability standpoint. The engine went out at 56,000 miles. It has already had a starter replaced. I usually get 150,000 from V8 rear wheel drive cars before any repairs.

The car you dont want to buy
By james101 on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Pontiac in 1998 its been the worst car I ever owned. I like the way the engine runs and the way the car looks, but thats where it stops! I had to replace the engine in it, had to replace the main oil seal, the power stearing pump twice, and i had to change the starter twice you do not want to buy this car just for this reason! Luckly its all under warnty or i would have around 5,000 to 10,000 in work done to it.