Used 1998 Pontiac Bonneville Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

Big Green Lemon
By haugent

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

Bought this used, with clean CarFax and low miles. Put few miles on per year, and keep up with routine maintenance. Thank God I got an extended warranty. Thousands in repairs of all sorts in the 4 year warranty period, including a replaced engine - which lasted 5500 miles before the 3rd engine. Add'l items not covered by warranty, like sunroof, gauges, fuel lines, starter, and on. Rusting in odd locations - under fuel fill, window pillar on driver's door. HUD is cool, but invisible on sunny days. Power is inadequate - couldn't outrun anything but a heavy truck.

Leather upholstery, power seats.

Learn reliability from anyone else.

Project Bonneville
By Trent

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from family a year ago, first of three. My first car at seventeen, my Bonneville is one of thirty or forty cars I've drove and I'm beyond happy with it. I underestimated the performance before I owned it; I've ran the car in about twenty races, losing twice- once to a 2004 v8 mustang and a second time to a v6 celica. The cars been modded to be a sleeper and has as much performance add ons as possible without ridding comfort. I love it but am considering a full ssei conversion, or maybe even reinforcing the entire car and putting in a gto or ls1 engine along with new transmission and exhaust layouts. I love this car and am extremely satisfied with it.

Reliability, driveability, couldn't ask for better fuel economy in a full size vehicle. stock options are great. car has potential for any sort of build only hindering aspect is weight.

cheap build pieces. [i.e., plastic lugnut covers, plastic/styrofoam reinforcements.]

My Bonnie
By Cecilio A. Perez

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a used car that was comfortable and reliable. I've got it. Responsive, comfortable, nice looking. I want to soup up the performance a little bit by adding aftermarket items like a high performance air filter and a better exhaust.

most every thing about the car

Warning!
By VincentModrak

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car a year ago off my Dad and ever since it has been a nightmare. Shutting off randomly at first. Then the water pump blew out in October, $300. One month later my Upper Intake Manifold cracked for a second time in 3 years flooding the engine with coolant causing my starter to blow as well when trying to restart. The Upper Intake Manifolds on these cars are made of cheap plastic. They will crack on your car around 100k to 130k. Its a 1200 dollar repair bill as well. After happily owning a 95 Grand Prix, 94 Trans Am and an 02 Grand Am I was very disappointed by the Bonneville..

HUD, fully loaded, stereo, leather, trunk space can fit all my tail gating gear for the Brewer games.

Don't make crucial engine parts out of cheap plastic that cost an arm and a leg to replace. Factory tinted windows would be nice too.

150,000 and still willing
By 601Sunset

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 4dr Sedan

Bought this because my wife thought it was nice. Then she kept it for herself and wouldn't share except on weekends. Had to much fun with it so I ended up buying her a new car just so I could keep it all to myself. So I just had to make a decision whether to save it's life or DNR but I decided to have the tranny fixed, cost me $3100.00. Call me crazy but I had it fixed, so what's that say about the car. It's been a great affair with it and hopefully it continues once it gets healthy. It's amazing what your willing to do for a loved one.

Handling, the power and of course all the fun onboard buttons to control everything without hardly moving a muscle while driving those winding mountain roads. The feeling of being in the cockpit of a jet fighter.

Cheaper parts