Used 1998 Pontiac Bonneville Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

1998 Pontiac Bonneville

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

My Bonnie is the best car I've ever had
By Stephiey13

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from an individual, and I am ashamed to say that I was very ruluctant to buy it because of a Grand Am I had before, which was a big piece of junk, but now I am so glad that I did. It's the best and most dependable car that I have ever owned. Rides smooth, the seat adjustments are awesome, very comfortable, has a lot of kick when you need it. She has 230,000 miles on her and shows no signs of stopping. I have had to replace the water pump, a pulley and the belt, and the radiator hose, thats it. Awesome car, and I would love to buy another one but they are getting hard to come by anymore, the 98 models are the best in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Control panel, heads up mileage display, stereo adjustments on steering wheel, air compressor in the trunk that will air up your tires in case of a flat, big sunroof, basically everything about the car just screams performance without skimping on comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Well it doesn't matter now since they don't make them anymore, but I hate the cup holders being in the door,it spills when you shut the door. BRING BACK MY BONNIE TO ME. Need to start production again, get rid of the crappy Grand Ams and bring back the Bonneville!!!!!

Amazing
By Jared T

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for $222 after taxes from my dealership about a year ago. A fillup of chevron gas and a dose of Mystery Oil and she is running like a brand new car with 322,000 miles!!!! Best buy I have ever made. It gets better gas mileage than my 4 cyl camry, and it has more power than any V6 I have ever owned. It runs 90mph without any effort. The ride is smooth and fairly responsive, but it does lack the grip my camry has, which might have somthing to do with the cheap tires it is riding on. Overall I love this car best $222 I have ever spent!

Favorite Features

TORQUE! Has more room inside than my and car I have owned. The trunk is the size of a small pickup truck bed. Very smooth startups, and amazing gas mileage (about 30 mpg highway)

Suggested Improvements

Interior trim is a little cheap, maby a degree of camber on the front to give it a little more bite in corners.

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!
By Feyee

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

This is a fantastic car, drives like a dream, corners well, handles well in ALL weather conditions. Have driven 14+ hours a day, could never do that in most vehicles. Seats are unbelievable comfortable for driver & passengers. Have enjoyed having a sunroof. VERY Reliable, if could would buy the same car over again!!!LOVE IT!!! With over 121,000 miles on it trying to decide to sell or not?? Hate to let it go.

Favorite Features

Leather power bucket seats, cup holders,skylight, ABS,its the sports version & drives great!! large trunk. Nice size overall.

Suggested Improvements

Only wish they made this same car. I can't imagine why they would drop this model.

I'll miss this car
By Karl

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 44,000 miles on it and will be selling it at over 203,000. This car has provided me with safety (through 2 deer accidents), reliability (only one major engine problem- a gasket recall) and comfort (the a/c went but everything else still works fine). The performance was never top notch but it could more than get out of its own way (and past the occasional highway fool). Some rust here and there but I still walk out, stop and admire the way it looks; the lines of the car never get old. Unfortunately, the signs of old age have arrived all at once. Problems with the gas tank and filler and some big maintenance hurdles. Don't know what to buy now. Too bad GM axed Pontiac.

Favorite Features

The metallic deep red paint and the curved body style. Oh, and the rear spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

If I ever meet the person who designed the trunk lid (the one that drains all the water directly into the trunk when opened), I will sock him or her right in the nose.

Solid Car
By Ben

1998 Pontiac Bonneville SLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle last year. It has 237,000 miles on it and still drives great. I have put over 20,000 miles on it. Just needed oil changes and tires so far. There is a small whining noise under the hood, and the paint on top of hood peeling. But for the high mileage, still has plenty of V6 power and very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Orange lit dashboard (easy to see at dark). Handles great in bad weather with the traction control. Smooth ride, power, and dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint quality