1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:
Amazing Bonneville
By Gerry on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car new 8/1997. He left the car to me after he passed on in 7/2004 with under 90,000 miles. I've been driving it since and now has 215,000 miles. It is the best car I've ever owned. Except for routine maintenance, I've only replaced the exhaust system, struts and the alternator. It is a shame that GM decided to throw Pontiac under the bus. In the end all Pontiac had were rubber stamped Chevys. Instead, they should have been allowed to develop newer cars.

Amazing car
By BONNE FAN on 04/18/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Absolutely amazing car especially the SLE with all the creature comforts. Steering Wheel radio controls and leather make this car extremely comfortable on the inside while the 205 HP V6 under the hood is more than enough to throw you back in your seat or squeal the tires. Overall it is a very good mixture between sport and luxury and in a 4 door package to make a sport luxury sedan. I have owned 4 of these cars over the last 12 years and I still have all of them if that isn't reliability IDK what is. These engine are bullet proof and currently I have 275,000 miles and still going on my car and it still runs like brand new no ticks or knocks or squeals or anything Best engine EVER!

the beast
By Bobbie Alexander on 02/26/10 12:05 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

exterior still in fair condition

After 12 years
By David in PA on 05/02/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSE 4dr Sedan

Nice looking car, paint still looks great after 12 years. Previously owned a 1988 SSE. Replaced original two position sport struts with Monroe Reflex after 75,ooo miles. Reflexes are great! Avg 16 mpg city and 26 mpg highway. Traction control is nice in snow. Intake manifold gaskets leaked at 55,ooo then again at 102,000 miles. Luckily engine wasn't damaged. Transmission replaced at 75,000 miles because trans yoke body went bad. Car would surge at highway speed when going up a slight incline. There's a tech bulletin on this but no recall. Overall I really like the car.

1997 Pontiac Bonny SE
By hazenguy on 05/02/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Bonny for a whopping $500. The guy thought the reverse was out on it, when their was no fluid in the trans. I put 3 qts in it, drove her home. My car has 268000 miles and looks great! Everything works on the car! I have tuned her up. She has been well maintained. I would recommend this car to anyone needing a good car on a budget. You can pick up a NICE one Cheap! The parts are common and there is alot of info on the "trouble spots" and "how to's" on the car. I usually would NOT buy a car with this mileage, BUT so far so good!!

Love my Bonneville SSEi
By Wayne S on 11/04/08 09:41 AM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSEi 4dr Sedan

Have had my 1997 Bonneville SSEi for 8 years. Have had six Corvettes and was a fighter pilot so tend to like fast cars. The supercharged six is simply amazing. Great mileage (30 MPG + on highway)plus more than enough power for everyday driving. At 7 seconds 0-60 MPH according to the magazines, it is actually faster than some of my mid- 70's Corvettes. The car seems faster since the power band is broad and instantaneous due to the supercharger. Engine has been flawless since owned. A nice daily driver, I like the real Heads-up Display and good instrumentation. The 8 Bose-speakered stereo is the best factory car stereo I have ever heard. Nothing has even come close. Great car.

fun fun fun
By supercharged on 06/17/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSEi 4dr Sedan

This car was great and fun to drive. It was one of the most comfortable cars to drive and had a lot of power.

97 SSEi
By Kevin on 05/31/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSEi 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive! Powerful and still good fuel mileage! With a few Mods, Upgraded exhaust, Cold air intake, upgraded Supercharger pulley and PCM upgrade, Car is even more powerful ( up to about 290 HP.) And driving normal still gets great MPG. Love it !

Nice ride, but many problems
By JaniceB on 01/14/08 17:43 PM (PST)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Happy w/ the Bonneville as far as looks & ride. Plenty of room and decent gas mileage for a big car. I loved all the features. Had to replace the AC ($700). Also had tons of problems with it not wanting to start. Someone else mentioned the battery corrosion problem, we found this true to. Also, we had to have a switch resistor in the ignition replaced to the tune of $100. I've read this is a common problem. The vents quit working. Took it to the dealership, they said they couldnt duplicate the problem, but informed me of the plastic intake manifold gasket problem. Cost to be over $600, and is a well-known problem with these GM 3.8's! At that point, I decided not fix, bought an import.

What GM was, and is not today
By Salt Belt, USA on 05/04/07 21:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Sedan SSE 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car on the planet. I now have 185,255 miles on it and has never had more than $500 worth of repairs since I bought it 10 years ago new with 7 miles on it. I'd recommend this 1997 to buy used over the other two newer ones any day. The 1997 "3800" engine is what Japanese quality motors are today.

1 2 3 4 5 next »