Used 1996 Pontiac Bonneville Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Bonneville

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

Great cruiser and surprising handling
By Kent Lewis

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

We have 220,000 miles on this car and the engine, transmission, and suspension are all great. Our biggest expense was replacing the electric steering system at 180k miles, but I have never heard of anyone else having that problem. I wouldn't have put out the money for the steering except that this car is so otherwise mechanically sound and easy to drive. It stills gets 21 mpg around town and 27 mpg on the highway; and that's fully loaded for vacation! And this car holds a lot of stuff in its trunk. The most common, and most annoying, thing about this car are the power window control/motors that seem to need replacing about every 70k miles. The paint holds up very well. Our car is over 18 years old and it just this year started looking like it needs repainting. Overall the best car we have owned.

SSEI
By roman_gibson

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan w/Supercharger

I absolutely love this car. I am a little taller. I have plenty of room, the seat adjust to your comfort. The supercharged motor is excellent.

Heads-up Display Air compressor built into the trunk so I can actually air my tire up from anywhere.

The heater on Bonneville's seem to have a history of problems. If this could e changed it would be great.

Can't stop it
By Mark

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan w/Supercharger

This is my 3rd Bonneville and I couldn't be happier, currently at 346000 miles with little trouble. I did have to replace transmission at 289000 miles but a use one has served me well since. A number of pulleys and belts 2 water pumps an egr valve and a fuel pump struts are the repairs I have done (well brakes and tires, but they are a given) Infallible car, dependable and comfortable. I will be sad when it is gone but I am replacing it at 400000 miles.

power enough
By Randy

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. Sporty enough, power enough, roomy enough. Only problem, and a real problem, was that it would collect water in the rear driver's side floor pan after a rain. Not after every rain, but after a driving rain. No one could figure out where it came from.

Engine was a definite plus. Also, the climate control and cruise control were dead on.

The BEST car!
By Speed Demon2488

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

This car is my first car and it is far better than the cars I was looking at. It is so much fun driving in the snow. The ride is smooth and sharp. I have put over 1,000 miles on it. I have experience driving all kinds of cars and the Bonneville has the best ride of them all. This car can move! I just wish people would stop calling it an old persons car. I enjoy taking it on the interstate just so I can see it move. The trunk is massive!

I love its style, its performance, and its interior.

The flip out cup holder is nice but I wish the compartment was bigger.