Used 1990 Pontiac Bonneville Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

1990 Pontiac Bonneville

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:

1990 Pontiac SSE
By Grumpy Old Man

1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

I just recently sold my 2002 Pontiac SSEi for a mini van. Wasn't my choice but needed a van carry my wife's power wheel chair around. I still have my 1990 Pontiac SSE in the garage. It was a hard decision as to which one to trade. I really liked the Bonneville because of all the high tech features. Too bad GM decided to discontinue the model. The only thing I regret is the governments decision to discontinue the use of Freon for the A/C. I can't see paying $2000+ for another A/C - so I drive it without one. Damn government. The car has never had any work on the engine, transmission, electrical, exhaust or mechanical systems other than routine maintenance. Still love the car.

Favorite Features

Plush leather seats. Controls on the steering wheel. Never failed to start engine. No body problems. Overall decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Things I miss after trading in the 2002 SSEi Heads up display CD player Orange digital display Compass Working A/C I might miss these things but most weren't available in 1990. That's progress. The G4 might be a good car but the decision by GM to stop production on the Bonneville was bad.

My Bonnie
By C. Bryson

1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

This series of the Pontiac SSE was one of the best. Designed way ahead of its time, has plenty of built in confort and instramentality equipped. Some of the features on this car didn't appear on other car for a few years down the road. Transmission could have been stronger, had mine rebuild and "beefed up". I bought the car (my second SSE) in 2000 and have a love affair with it. To my sorry I will be selling it soon, must buy a rear wheel drive to pull my bass boat. This is the longest I have ever kept a car, it is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The instrument panel, with it's green and red lighting, compass, information center, steering wheel controls, nine controls for seats (both front). Car is a real pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

Make them like this again.

This is a great car.
By Terri Pitts

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

This car drives very nicely. The take off is very smooth. When idling it is very quiet. It excels very nicely on the open highway. In town it is very dependable. This car starts on the first try with no hesitations. I bought this car from an elderly couple that bought the car new. This car is in exceptional shape.

Favorite Features

Everything about this car is great. There is nothing that could improve on it. It drives very nice, it has all the power features. I am very impressed with this car.

Suggested Improvements

None

Deal of the century
By Happy with my Bonnie

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1990 Bonneville LE from a salesman who had put 232,000 miles on it in 12 years, all highway. Today my Bonnie has 256,000 and she still runs like a gem of a gal. Sure there have been repairs but nothing that one could consider major. For a car that's 16 years old and this many miles on it I got the deal of the century paying only $500, yes that's only 2 zero's, Five Hundred dollars. I'm a Honda junky but this baby is a dream. The 3800 engine is by far the most amazing thing that keeps her humming. I can only hope she'll last me another 40000- 50000 more.

Favorite Features

Drivability by far is the my favorite feature and the roominess. Still smooth as ever.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any. For a car this age and as many miles on it, heck I'm amazed she's as good as she is.

232,000 miles and still running!
By Stephanie

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

This car had one owner before it became a family car, belonging to my mom, my brother, me, my boyfriend (now husband), and back to me after a newer different make and model vehicle died on me. It's never had any major problems. The car has always had great power. The air hasn't worked for a while and the windows roll up and down a little slowly now. I have a really bad transmission leak and have been concerned that the transmission might not last for about 50,000 miles, but it still keeps running. The stereo is starting to go out too now. But it's truly amazing how long this car has lasted!! I can't believe it still runs as smoothly as it does at 232,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior. Great factory sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I don't really have any.