1990 Pontiac Bonneville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bonneville model:
1990 Pontiac Bonneville.. can't go wrong
By braden007 on 07/28/13 23:08 PM (PDT)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

I'm 17 and this is my first car. I worked hard and saved my money and 850 dollars later I was driving home in a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville. Now after owning this car for almost a year it has done nothing but been good and preformed great I put in probably 300 bucks into it and another 400 "nitpickiness" and Ill have myself a car that'll get me going for a while. The ignition module box went bad but after a 130 dollar replacement I was driving again with no worries of my car randomly dieing on the road when i stopped. This car is great, very roomy, good sound and speakers, just not an average car a teen looks at but none the less I couldn't ask for more.

This Old Bonneville
By volcanaustin on 11/11/11 22:44 PM (PST)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this bonneville back in December used from a friend who owns a used car lot. Car is Rather reliable, getting almost 31 mph on highway (covered 300 miles on a half tank of gas). Idles very quiet, and one of the few old cars that cold-starts well. I have had to replace the rear brake lines, fuel pump and ignition control module and the paint is fading. Very clean w/no viewable rust and undercarriage has held up well. Transmission shifts very well, and at 70 mph, the transmission holds the engine to a modest 1900 rpm, great for highway travel. Overall a great car.

My Bonneville
By mike on 04/01/10 21:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

1990 LE, bought it in 94 with 40k. its now 2010 with 173k. always dependable and a sharp looker. wish I could post pics. Looks as good as it did when if came off the showroom floor. have put money into it repaint and sound system, but mechanically very sound. They have plenty of get up and go. very smooth, quiet and sexy design, one of their best. I swear by this car. Old enough to handle most of repairs/maintenance yourself and mileage is fantastic; with mods (simple ones) I'm getting 35 highway. Hard to beat that. But it does seem to eat up power antennas for some reason. With the sound system and new paint I wont let it go for under $5K.

440 T 4 Transmissions Stinks!!
By Del on 11/01/09 21:12 PM (PST)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Car in 2002. I was impressed with the get up and go the 3800 is a wonderfull power plant.other then the oil pump that dropped out of it in case was the death of this car at about 140,000 miles. the (440 t 4) Transmission stinks I went threw 2 tranny's in this car and the owner before me just had it rebuilt. Over all handle-ing was nice gotta love the independent rear susp. I would not buy another Pontiac they are well known for eating up trannys

Best car I ever bought
By carl on 02/14/09 22:09 PM (PST)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new. This car still drives like a new car, always a smooth ride with plenty of pep. Last time I checked I got 25mpg.

1990 Pontiac SSE
By Grumpy Old Man on 05/31/08 16:56 PM (PDT)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

I just recently sold my 2002 Pontiac SSEi for a mini van. Wasn't my choice but needed a van carry my wife's power wheel chair around. I still have my 1990 Pontiac SSE in the garage. It was a hard decision as to which one to trade. I really liked the Bonneville because of all the high tech features. Too bad GM decided to discontinue the model. The only thing I regret is the governments decision to discontinue the use of Freon for the A/C. I can't see paying $2000+ for another A/C - so I drive it without one. Damn government. The car has never had any work on the engine, transmission, electrical, exhaust or mechanical systems other than routine maintenance. Still love the car.

My Bonnie
By C. Bryson on 03/06/08 09:20 AM (PST)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 4dr Sedan

This series of the Pontiac SSE was one of the best. Designed way ahead of its time, has plenty of built in confort and instramentality equipped. Some of the features on this car didn't appear on other car for a few years down the road. Transmission could have been stronger, had mine rebuild and "beefed up". I bought the car (my second SSE) in 2000 and have a love affair with it. To my sorry I will be selling it soon, must buy a rear wheel drive to pull my bass boat. This is the longest I have ever kept a car, it is fun to drive.

This is a great car.
By Terri Pitts on 10/17/07 16:51 PM (PDT)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

This car drives very nicely. The take off is very smooth. When idling it is very quiet. It excels very nicely on the open highway. In town it is very dependable. This car starts on the first try with no hesitations. I bought this car from an elderly couple that bought the car new. This car is in exceptional shape.

Deal of the century
By Happy with my Bonnie on 03/03/06 13:52 PM (PST)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1990 Bonneville LE from a salesman who had put 232,000 miles on it in 12 years, all highway. Today my Bonnie has 256,000 and she still runs like a gem of a gal. Sure there have been repairs but nothing that one could consider major. For a car that's 16 years old and this many miles on it I got the deal of the century paying only $500, yes that's only 2 zero's, Five Hundred dollars. I'm a Honda junky but this baby is a dream. The 3800 engine is by far the most amazing thing that keeps her humming. I can only hope she'll last me another 40000- 50000 more.

232,000 miles and still running!
By Stephanie on 09/22/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 4dr Sedan

This car had one owner before it became a family car, belonging to my mom, my brother, me, my boyfriend (now husband), and back to me after a newer different make and model vehicle died on me. It's never had any major problems. The car has always had great power. The air hasn't worked for a while and the windows roll up and down a little slowly now. I have a really bad transmission leak and have been concerned that the transmission might not last for about 50,000 miles, but it still keeps running. The stereo is starting to go out too now. But it's truly amazing how long this car has lasted!! I can't believe it still runs as smoothly as it does at 232,000 miles!