2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:
brought me back to Pontiac
By old max on 03/08/05 01:30 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

A couple of years ago we traded in our 1993 Grand Prix for a 1997 Nissan Maxima. The check engine light came on, was told it would cost many $ to replace O2 sensors. Drove directly to dealer and traded in for an Aztek. On the plus side-typical excellent Pontiac driver layout. Minus-really sluggish 3.4 v6 compared to the Nissan engine. But it uses regular fuel vs premium. Would I buy another Aztek? You bet!! Now, if some dealer will only take my 1999 Maxima in trade so I don't have to fight with my wife over who gets to drive the darn thing!!

Can't ask for much more
By Chad on 01/12/05 22:46 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

People often complain about the Aztek because of the appearance, but as soon as they get in and go for a ride, they love it. There is plenty of room for 5 guys, and it is very comfortable for long trips. I get over 20 MPG going back and forth to work every day and over 25 on the highway. It also has enough power to stay over the speed limit driving through the Rockies or pulling two snowmobiles on normal roads. With AWD, I can drive through snow deeper than the front bumper. Only problem was a sticky latch on the rear hatch, but my dealer promptly fixed that.

Best Kept Secret
By italian princess on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I'm on my second Aztec now after ridding myself of a gas-guzzling uncomfortable, sluggish toyota 4runner. Fun to drive, comfortable,and decent gas mileage. Only complaint so far is that it's underpowered for climbing hills, which is really not a problem in Florida. Back hatch sticks sometimes; still trying to get that resolved. Could have never gotten all the bells & whistles this has on a Toyota or Honda for the money. I'm even starting to think that it's not really that ugly on the outside anymore!

50-50
By Siochain on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love the interior of my vehicle. So many good things to say. Comfortable for shorter people. Like sitting up higher. Can do an up north trip and still feel comfortable. Mileage into Detroit during the week is not good but true highway trips it seems much better. Not had good luck w/performance. Cricket sounds, tough brakes, hard to start, stalling, rotors have had me in and out of repair. They tell me there is nothing wrong w/it and send me on my way. Will be very upset if I have to pay for costly repair even though I have tried to get them to take care of it.

Pontiac Aztek 2003
By thekrekes on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Quiet, comfortable, and roomy

Best package for mileage, size, price
By Inca Guy on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We looked at everything, and for the price, gas mileage, room, towing capability, cargo capacity, nothing came close. Didn't want minivan or guzzler SUV, but still needed power and room. Depreciation means got great deal on used '03. Pontiac did a great job creating the entire package, even with its "aggressive" styling.

Get past the looks
By jonic911 on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Extremely happy. Great gas mileage. Unbeleivable room. Very solid.

A Surprise To Me
By buddyrtr on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

As a diehard pickup driver, I'm still surprised that I bought an Aztek, but I've never regretted the choice. This is the most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. I can haul a load of paneling, take my wife out to dinner, and go camping with the grandkids at the lake - all in the same vehicle. I've driven it over 31K miles in 17 months and I still love the comfort, the great handling, the peppy performance, and the great gas mileage (I average about 23mpg in town and 29mpg on the highway).

You CAN fix ugly.
By popeye2347 on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Like most people the wife and I thought it was the most ugly car on the market in 2001. Fast forward to 2003. We needed a new car, and after much consideration the Aztek was one of the top contenders. One drive convinced us that this was the car for us. Using Edmunds.com we found a good used 2003 and are very satisfied with our Aztek. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

More than looks
By mantis406 on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ok, a lot of people hate the looks of the Aztek; I personally love it. There is so much more to this vehicle that makes it really great. Engine has some power to be desired, but it gets great mileage (especially compared to other SUVs) and still has enough power to pull my two snowmobiles down the highway. There are some minor issues like the rear hatch not always releasing, but typically a dealer can fix that while it's still under warranty.