Used 2003 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Aztek

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

good early - poor midlife-okay now
By ttbbjjmm

2003 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

bought aztek new 2003 was great till warranty ran out. common problems occured then. Wheel bearings, intake gasket, 2 ignition key switches. I kept the vehicle after all the repairs and it's been good. I like the features especially the awd.

Favorite Features

AWD and versatility.

Beautiful, but flawed
By Angela

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful SUV, classy and elegant in black. Bought @ under 7,000 mi. Had to replace passenger wheel baring @ 40k mi. Replace driver wheel baring @ 50k mi. Now must replace again 4 months later. Need to replace brakes too often. Leaks coolant. Doors don't always unlock. Locking doesn't always "beep". Rear hatch doesn't release without helping hand. Settings 1 & 2 on AC/heat don't work. At a stop it will "jump" forward for no reason nearly bumping car in front of me. Rolls forward after putting in park. Hard to find parts outside of dealership. All common problems according to other sites. I'm so sad b/c I love this car so much. I want to keep it forever, but may have to trade someday soon.

Favorite Features

Interior is very sophisticated and attractive. Love all the extras. Drives like a dream. Feeling of safety b/c of size and spaciousness inside.

Suggested Improvements

Overhaul on wheel baring systems, and cooling system. Simple repairs such as door locks and hatch should be done in a recall. Lots of little things could be fixed and would leave owners feeling more satisfied with vehicle and less upset about big repairs which will be needed with many Azteks.

Aztek
By Derek

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Do not buy! I bought this vehicle a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. So far I've had to replace the intake gasket ($1000) head gasket ($1500), heater core ($500) and shifter ($500). I bought this vehicle at a reputable dealership thinking it would be OK, boy was I wrong. So far the tally has come to $3500 in repairs and of course the warranty covered nothing at all. Every review I read at the time said it was a great vehicle. It is anything but a great vehicle. Your better off getting something else

Suggested Improvements

The whole engine

A lot bang for the buck
By H

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Aztek new in 2003. I drive a lot of highway so I wanted a few more comfort options and I wanted a vehicle that would sit up higher and have more room without getting a truck or a minivan. The car has been great with 2 large dogs and our child. It rides comfy and even though I thought these cars were so ugly when they came out, I actually like the look now. The car has been very reliable. I have read that consumer reports says to avoid them yet I have had few problems. The oil changes were always on time, I replaced the front brakes and bearings and had the 100,000 mile flushes done. At 113,000 miles the car is still riding as good as when it was new.

Favorite Features

The heated seats! Definitely a must have in the winter. I also love my heads up display on the windshield and my premium sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Rear hatch does occasionally stick and it is heavy. It also took a very long time to get used to the bar in the middle of the rear window.

love my aztek
By Barbara

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this has been an exceptional SUV. I bought it when it had 35,000 miles and now it has 146,900 + miles! I have had a few problems, but who doesn't on an older car? Of course, I didn't buy it for its looks! People laugh at me, but now they think I'm pretty smart.

Favorite Features

It handles well. It has a lot of room and with the price of gas $3.55 to $4.00 per gallon, it is worth driving.

Suggested Improvements

More driver leg room. No spoiler (fin) in the middle of the back glass. It is really hard to get use to.