2003 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:
good early - poor midlife-okay now
By ttbbjjmm on 06/12/09 11:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

bought aztek new 2003 was great till warranty ran out. common problems occured then. Wheel bearings, intake gasket, 2 ignition key switches. I kept the vehicle after all the repairs and it's been good. I like the features especially the awd.

Beautiful, but flawed
By Angela on 03/29/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful SUV, classy and elegant in black. Bought @ under 7,000 mi. Had to replace passenger wheel baring @ 40k mi. Replace driver wheel baring @ 50k mi. Now must replace again 4 months later. Need to replace brakes too often. Leaks coolant. Doors don't always unlock. Locking doesn't always "beep". Rear hatch doesn't release without helping hand. Settings 1 & 2 on AC/heat don't work. At a stop it will "jump" forward for no reason nearly bumping car in front of me. Rolls forward after putting in park. Hard to find parts outside of dealership. All common problems according to other sites. I'm so sad b/c I love this car so much. I want to keep it forever, but may have to trade someday soon.

Aztek
By Derek on 11/18/08 07:57 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Do not buy! I bought this vehicle a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. So far I've had to replace the intake gasket ($1000) head gasket ($1500), heater core ($500) and shifter ($500). I bought this vehicle at a reputable dealership thinking it would be OK, boy was I wrong. So far the tally has come to $3500 in repairs and of course the warranty covered nothing at all. Every review I read at the time said it was a great vehicle. It is anything but a great vehicle. Your better off getting something else

A lot bang for the buck
By H on 09/15/08 17:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Aztek new in 2003. I drive a lot of highway so I wanted a few more comfort options and I wanted a vehicle that would sit up higher and have more room without getting a truck or a minivan. The car has been great with 2 large dogs and our child. It rides comfy and even though I thought these cars were so ugly when they came out, I actually like the look now. The car has been very reliable. I have read that consumer reports says to avoid them yet I have had few problems. The oil changes were always on time, I replaced the front brakes and bearings and had the 100,000 mile flushes done. At 113,000 miles the car is still riding as good as when it was new.

love my aztek
By Barbara on 08/22/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this has been an exceptional SUV. I bought it when it had 35,000 miles and now it has 146,900 + miles! I have had a few problems, but who doesn't on an older car? Of course, I didn't buy it for its looks! People laugh at me, but now they think I'm pretty smart.

03 pontiac aztec awd
By sassymom on 06/20/08 16:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my yellow Aztec in used had everything in it. High mileage but have not had any major problem, just normal wear and tear such as brakes tires, and wheel bearings.

I love Azteks, but...
By lovethe'teks! on 05/08/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Aztek for a year and put only 10k miles on it. Even though I have had to replace everything but the seatbelt buckles I still love it. It is very comfortable and handles well with Michigan weather. I don't like the fuel economy (gas is 3.89 here) but can't complain since for it's size it does well. I only need a new fuel pump and I'll be back on the road with the silly looking thing. :D

never by another
By Ray on 04/24/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got the truck 12/02 new it is an 03 and it has 65,150 mi on it now. I did not have problems until I took it for an inspection, all of a sudden, wheel hub, steering rack, strut mount, can't get key out, converter replaced, the lasted thing is this past Saturday my 3 yr old and I were out it the temp outside got to about 87dg and my truck would not start, had to have it towed to jim ball, they were closed and did not open until Monday, I called them about 10 a.m. and they asked me what was it in for, I stated because it did not start and they said it started them and they could not find a problem I told them it was not getting fuel and they couldn't find the problem at first it was the fuel pump.$700

So far so good
By Ambiegirl on 04/18/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car after researching it for hours and hours and came to the conclusion it would be a good car considering the lowest rating was a 6.5, compared to a ford explorer which was like a 1.1. I love the design of the car i like unique things and this is definitely unique. My camping vehicle i have been waiting for! I bought it at 68,000 miles and hopefully it has a lot of life left because I noticed ive never seen an Aztek for sale with over 100,000 miles which makes me kind of nervous

Never thought I'd buy one of these!
By Selhaus on 04/19/07 16:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Never in a million years would I have thought of buying an Aztek, they look awful. Then I drove one. Loved it. The flexibility it offers is great. The style has even grown on me. My friends all laughed when I bought it, but even they like it now. My only problems has been seeing past the spoiler and sometimes the back latch does not unlock. I have to press it 3 or 4 times. It was a lot of bang for the buck. Who knew?