Used 2002 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

a few problems but I'd buy it again
By nah1978

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 AWD used with 25k and it is now up to almost 60k. Just a warning, be prepared to replace both the front wheel bearings at some point. I have done some research on the internet and this seems to be about the most common major problem with the vehicle. I was just out of warranty and it cost me about 400 bucks to do both. Even so I love this vehicle. You can get a good deal on them since some people don't like the looks. I just tinted all the windows and put a grill guard on and it looks awesome. It handles great, good MPG for an SUV (lower to mid 20's), plenty of room, good for hauling people or just flip the seats up and you can haul a ton of cargo.

Interior design, different from everything else, good sound system, decent power. I bought the tent package with air mattress and will never sleep in a real tent again!

Plan on having 2 people to open the hatch!

Aztek: The car people love to hate
By Aztek Happy

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Aztek because of all of the great things it can do. It is the best car I have ever owned (I am 60 so I have owned a bunch). It does everything and is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. We went 14k miles last summer and never had any comfort problems. Get past the looks and buy one. You will really love it. You can get a good deal on one and shop around for the bells and whistles.

All of the great things it can do. It is sooo comfortable! It is a camper, a van, a truck by removing the seats. It has a great sound system, door packs and a cooler between the seats..

It could look a bit better. The back window has the bar across the middle.

Dependable Alternative
By tjhbama

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my Suburban for my Aztek. Best economics trade ever... I have 52K miles on my 2002, and have had no mechanical problems, and get 20/25 city and highway. Don't have the space of the suburban (9 passengers), but have room for 5 adults and luggage for same. I tow a 8' utility trailer for recreation, and love the flexibility of flipping rear seats down, or up, or taking them out easily. Cargo space is nice in the rear, with 48" width for hauling lumber for those home improvement projects. Drivers seat cover replaced under warranty last year.

Economics of flexible, versitile vehicle, that will still hold 5 adults. Great sound system, and drive great in town, or at 80 on the interstate. Truck like aspects, with car like handling.

Rear hatch lift mechanisms need to be stronger to open in winter, or open at all some times. Like spoiler for looks, but severaly impacts clear vision to the rear. Rear seat cup holders difficult for adults, since they are located in the lower door panel.

Quirky, but a great vehicle
By randtauwers

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Some people don't like the styling, but we love it even though it is a little quirky. Styling aside, this is a great vehicle. It is practical, comfortable, lots of room to haul stuff around. The mileage is better than most any other SUV. We have the bright Aztek yellow and it is great because you can easily find it in the parking lot. It easily tows our 19 foot I/O boat with no trouble at all.

Very practical and useful vehicle that it is still fun to drive and unique.

Simply the best
By Ibhappy

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Did not like the looks at first in 2001. But now I love it. It's different! Great vechicle with a great sound system. Perfect for the family with a cottage and you need that extra space but don't want a van. Drives great! My friends at first said it was ugly, and then when they had there first drive, they liked it. I could not be happier with my purchase. I hope they don't stop making them because I think they are catching on. No problem at 60000.

Tailgate sound controlls and four ft.wide storage area. Great ride and totally original dash. Quiet ride.

View through rear view mirror took some getting used to. Probably better without air deflector.