Used 2002 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Aztek

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

So Far so good!
By Robert

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was searching for a family car just after our 2nd child, weighing heavily on utility. We were going to be making a lot of long distance trips because my wife's family is from all over the USA. Overall we have been delighted with the amount trunk space that is in this car. Very happy with the comfort level when traveling over 2k miles one-way. Love the leather with kids, and heated for mommy and I. Out west in states with higher speed limits we found the biggest weakness, not enough horsepower. It'll hold 70 to 75 with no problem, try 80 even on the flat, in and out of overdrive. So, we slowed down and maxed out the fuel milage 21 mpg could be better. Overall nice crossover!

Favorite Features

Heads up in the windshield, moonroof, leather, trunk space, looks different, awesome all-wheel drive for snow & rain. The ole girl has 100k on her now and the few small problems were covered under warranty. So far so good!

Suggested Improvements

Rear hatch in winter, tailgate kind of combersome to get over to get that one item that slid to the back seat.

Better than you think
By mike

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bouth this car in '04. Used to sell them, and I was always a fan. Killer motor after you replace the head and intake gaskets(warranty) Front wheel bearings after 90k. Otherwise, it's been a great car. 22-28 mpg with a K and N filter and has good power. Tons of room and a killer interior. Rear seats fold up or pull out, and even recline. The console cooler is the best! So is the stereo! Have 115k on it now and it runs perfect! Understeers in snow, but once you learn to drive it, it will go most anywhere with good tires. Buy this car used and it will not let you down.

Favorite Features

Very practical and sporty interior. Everybody always compliments it. Steering wheel audio controls. Removable console cooler! Faster than it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Rear hatch rattles and sticks on occasion. Take the remote with you and open it from outside. Too late to improve this model, but GM has other new cars built on this platform with the needed improvements. Plastic body cladding fragile in the cold.

Love This Truck
By JT

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. My wife normally doesn't care about a vehicle as long as it runs. She saw a used one at the dealership and loved it and she wouldn't look at anything else afterwards. Hard time finding them but we love it and wouldn't give it up. Gets better gas mileage then my 2003 Ford Taurus SES and both have a 6 cyclinder. Roomy and lots of comfort. Love the split seats and how easy the old up and / or come out completely. A lot easier then removing a bench seat from the mini van. Just can't say enough about this vehicle. Thought about getting a second one for me but don't want two of the same vehicle. Too bad Pontiac discountinued it.

Favorite Features

Love almost everything about it, roof rack, easy of adjusting bars, cargo space, passenger room and comfort in front and back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Only suggestions would be to add a rear window wiper to clean debris but have been pleased with it self cleaning itself. My suggestions to Pontiac is to bring back the Aztek.

Love my Aztek
By gramhar73

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Didn't like this car at first glance, but glad i gave the inside a look. The drive is smooth and the interior is beyond spacious. The back seat can comfortably hold 2 car seats and a large adult - and there is plenty of room for EVERYTHING that you need to bring.

Favorite Features

The spacious and comfortable interior. This car handles better than a sedan and smoother than an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint i have is in regards to the rear latch. It sometimes sticks and you have to release it several times to open it. A small price to pay for the most comfortable vehicle i've ever owned.

So UGLY-it's CUTE
By dogd923

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this '02 Aztek,and I love it.The dealer gave me a great deal on it, since he thought it was so ugly, he didn't want it on his lot. It is roomy, and very easy to drive. Plenty of cargo/storage area, and the rear seats lift out like a mini-van.This is very helpful for moving large objects, or transporting a huge dog, as I do.A very versatile, and unusual vehicle. The AWD version (which I own) gives you the SUV you need-I live in CT-plus minivan type room-all wrapped up in a unique package.

Favorite Features

The roominess.Big inside,seats in back lift out easily-when needed.Drives,and shifts very nicely.Easy to park,goes well in snow-a neccesity in the Northeast!Plus it looks like nothing else on the road-not many unique vehicles around these days-drive an Aztek-people will recognize it

Suggested Improvements

Just two complaints-first,that rear spoiler really hinders your vision out the back window.Secondly,the hatch should have a button,or handle to open it.To access the hatch,you have to turn the key once,lift,then turn it again.Very confusing-took me a LONG time to figure out how to open it.