Used 2002 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Aztek

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

Love-d It!
By Cathy

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new and liked its uniqueness. Yellow is easy to spot in the Wal-Mart parking lot! Very comfy for tall people and all seats recline for long trips. Interior is durable,everything in the right place. Most room for a mid-size SUV--I put several large trees and numerous plants in this thing! If they made them again, I'd buy one. Mine was 2WD and handled very well in snow/ice. The only reason I don't have one now is because a tornado destroyed it! had over 144K and ran great.

Killer stereo and surround sound, roomy and good gas mileage. Reclining seats all around and back seat area large enough for tall teens. Loved the tailgate and functionality. The sliding trunk tray/junk holder was used and abused. I miss all those handy compartments:)

Recall letters were sent AFTER I was past the mileage EVERY time--wheel bearings first, then all the other problems everyone else has had with the Aztek. If they make 'em again, use green coolant, no orange stuff that ruins them. Fix hatch, use good tires-mine wore out at 9,000 mi.

Bad experience
By not happy

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with about 60k miles, at 63k all the problems began with the check engine light. GM said it was the ECM, electronic control module. It resembles a long cable (wrapped in black plastic) that is underneath the car and plugs into a socket like thing on the undercarriage. Very exposed to the road elements! GM wanted $1100 for the part & another $900 to install. I paid, and the engine light still stayed on. GM tried to say it was not the ECM after I paid $2,000! I took it back to the Dealer prior to any of this, that was a hoot. That is another story. I could not get the car inspected, so traded it recently, took a beating and learned a lesson, run away from Pontiac Cars!

Car design, comfort for a 6ft.6inch tall guy, gas mileage, room for storage, easy to park.

Not made to tow a small boat even with the awd. Electronic Control module!! Car has been cleverly remade as a Torrent, hope they corrected the ECM.

Not worth your money
By Shannon1283

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I first bought my AWD Sports Aztek because of 2 friends owning one. I took a ride in it and fell in love. 2 days later, I went and bought one. As ugly as it is, my Aztek is super sporty with a lot of features most don't have. However, I have had nothing but problems with it (My 2 friends sold theirs a year later and later found out it was documented a "lemon"). I have 72,000 miles on it right now. I have replaced both front rotors twice, brakes twice, windshield always leaks,gas mileage is horrible.I fill up every 4 to 5 days (I only drive about 30 miles every day). Rear latch always sticks, tires wear out easily, now the car is shaking and a bad grinding noise which is affecting driving

Tinted windows, built in cooler, rear radio controls at the tailgate, 6 disc cd changer, lots of room and extra storage!!! Sunroof, information center, heads-up display is super nice , air compressor in the back, cargo slide out tray, handle, AWD, heated seats, fold down seats, controls on steering

Better gas mileage, cover for the gas tank, tailgate always sticks, fix all the blind spots, the high beam lights don't work as well as the low beam, more reliable parts. It gets very expensive replacing everything nearly at every 12,000 miles.

Garbage In Garbage Out
By simpleaztek

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Words of Wisdom - once the Aztek is over 3 years old or 50,000 miles it will deteriorate into a money pit. We absolutely loved ours until about eight months ago. Front passenger wheel bearing went, then the intake manifold leaked (yes, I know about the DexCool settlement) and then we had a cracked head gasket. Over $3k into the car in the past six months and its only 5 1/2 years old and with only 60,000 miles on it. Here I come Honda! Never a GM car again for me.

Quiet, smooth ride.

Reliability, reliability, reliability!

Off the Beaten Path.
By Krovas

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had my '02 Aztek for a few months. Purchased at 54k for $8000 even. A few initial repair issues (wheel hubs/bearings) that the dealer took care of. Decent mileage overall for a vehicle of this kind, but truly excellent on the highway. Possibly the most comfortable SUV ever made; a four hour drive feels like a ten minute trip to the supermarket. Interior design more than makes up for funky exterior styling. Somewhat irritating hatch release mechanism. Sufficient power for itself, but I probably wouldn't try towing anything with it. AWD performance is terrific. Overall, it's looks aren't the Aztek's only eccentricity, but I'll bet you'll forget all about them if you drive one.

Cool (but practical) TIE-fighter-cockpit-like interior. AWD competency. Amazingly tight turning radius. Attention-grabbing exterior that grows on you.

If they were still being built, I'd say give the Aztek more horses and clean up the rear hatch design.