2002 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:
So Far so good!
By Robert on 01/03/08 19:23 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was searching for a family car just after our 2nd child, weighing heavily on utility. We were going to be making a lot of long distance trips because my wife's family is from all over the USA. Overall we have been delighted with the amount trunk space that is in this car. Very happy with the comfort level when traveling over 2k miles one-way. Love the leather with kids, and heated for mommy and I. Out west in states with higher speed limits we found the biggest weakness, not enough horsepower. It'll hold 70 to 75 with no problem, try 80 even on the flat, in and out of overdrive. So, we slowed down and maxed out the fuel milage 21 mpg could be better. Overall nice crossover!

Better than you think
By mike on 08/01/07 12:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bouth this car in '04. Used to sell them, and I was always a fan. Killer motor after you replace the head and intake gaskets(warranty) Front wheel bearings after 90k. Otherwise, it's been a great car. 22-28 mpg with a K and N filter and has good power. Tons of room and a killer interior. Rear seats fold up or pull out, and even recline. The console cooler is the best! So is the stereo! Have 115k on it now and it runs perfect! Understeers in snow, but once you learn to drive it, it will go most anywhere with good tires. Buy this car used and it will not let you down.

Love This Truck
By JT on 07/29/07 12:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. My wife normally doesn't care about a vehicle as long as it runs. She saw a used one at the dealership and loved it and she wouldn't look at anything else afterwards. Hard time finding them but we love it and wouldn't give it up. Gets better gas mileage then my 2003 Ford Taurus SES and both have a 6 cyclinder. Roomy and lots of comfort. Love the split seats and how easy the old up and / or come out completely. A lot easier then removing a bench seat from the mini van. Just can't say enough about this vehicle. Thought about getting a second one for me but don't want two of the same vehicle. Too bad Pontiac discountinued it.

Love my Aztek
By gramhar73 on 05/29/06 20:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Didn't like this car at first glance, but glad i gave the inside a look. The drive is smooth and the interior is beyond spacious. The back seat can comfortably hold 2 car seats and a large adult - and there is plenty of room for EVERYTHING that you need to bring.

So UGLY-it's CUTE
By dogd923 on 03/13/06 04:56 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this '02 Aztek,and I love it.The dealer gave me a great deal on it, since he thought it was so ugly, he didn't want it on his lot. It is roomy, and very easy to drive. Plenty of cargo/storage area, and the rear seats lift out like a mini-van.This is very helpful for moving large objects, or transporting a huge dog, as I do.A very versatile, and unusual vehicle. The AWD version (which I own) gives you the SUV you need-I live in CT-plus minivan type room-all wrapped up in a unique package.

White Aztec
By bluewaves on 01/21/06 20:53 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced rear hatch shocks, brake safety switch, front passenger side wheel axle, thermostat, rear defrost doesn't work and hatch is hard to close. Fixing things costs a lot of money because you have to go to a dealer. I was better off trading it.

Very competent not so cute AWD
By Brad on 01/01/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with under 40K miles from a Ford dealer on e-bay. My trip home averaged 27 mpg. I often drive the car to Northern Vermont, a six hour trip feeling refreshed and confident that the AWD will perform in snow as expected. With side airbags, ABS, fog lights, truly comfortable heated seats and an average mpg consistently in the low to mid twenties and a price below $12,000, this car offers good value. It is easy to find in parking lots bcause of its size and rarity. If the car had a more appealing exterior, I would probably own TWO.

Unique, Reliable,Affordable
By NEBTEK2002 on 11/13/05 11:35 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I loved the concept car and wanted the production model from Day 1. We test drove a 2001 GT,loved that one but resisted it until we could travel 30 mi. to see this "basic" 2002 with fewer miles and a lower pricetag. With Azteks, basic doesn't mean stripped. We don't have ONstar, dual A/C controls, power seats; but we do have most everything else. We used to be Chrysler minivan owners. This one is has a tighter body than any of the 3 Chrysler products we've owned. It rides better than the standard Caravan, handles better, and the transmission has none of the Chrysler "hunting" tendencies on long upgrades. Other than replacing a ruined tire, no repairs at all thus far.

Great Value
By GJB on 04/03/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

starting to use oil and the heater fan is a little load on high. Other than that, it has been a great car.

fun and functional
By wayne stanton on 04/02/05 09:17 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned our Pontiac Aztek for a month now. After looking at several different models we chose this one due to price and initial impressions, with both room and comfort in mind. This car has proven to be a great choice, it is so quiet inside the cabin, and both very roomy and comfortable. I find its exterior looks to be very appealing, and the ride is both smooth and responsive. I think we have made an excellent choice. I am sorry they won't be making this car anymore after this year though, I do recommend it very strongly.