2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:
LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP
By Joe on 06/16/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my aztek for its practicality and verstility. There s tons of room for my kids, dog and gear. Unfortunatley its got reliability issues. All the wheel bearing have been replaced, computers have failed. Versatrak rear differential was replaced for $6000. Head gasket leaked. Whats next? I m torn because I like the car so much but I m scared of whats going to break next. My next car is definately not going to be a GM.

Great Car - Fun to Drive
By talia5307 on 05/10/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Aztek almost 7 years ago and have never regretted it. It now has 98000 miles on it and has only ever needed minor repairs (brakes, etc). I love that nothing else on the road looks like it, this is not your cookie cutter car for your cookie cutter neighborhood. The ride is smooth, quiet and comfortable and the car handles well in my northern Illinois winters even with just FWD. My only complaints are that the back seats don't fold flat, but not many 2002 vehicles do. Also, the bottom of the back window is totally flat, which leaves it almost always dirty.

My Aztec
By Hofmanms on 04/03/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used from a private seller. Within about 4 months the BCM quit while driving to a wedding 300 miles away. Luckily this only affected electronics and I was able to continue with little more than inconvenience. Had the BCM replaced by the dealer for about 500. I dont think the A/C ever worked but I hear its a 1000 dollar fix so I wont. Despite these problems I love the car. It can handle snow better than any car I have seen and I live in upstate NY so I see real snow. I get a lot of compliments and you cant beat the tent option with the cooler. Very Happy with the Aztec

We call it the "crapteck"
By aztec hater on 12/11/08 16:31 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the car at first! Very comfortable and roomy--fits 4 and a dog very comfortably. Was very excited to get our first SUV and loved it for about a year. The air conditioner died at about 17k, the head gasket at 30K, the hatch never opens, anti theft system locked up for no reason & cost about $500 to replace. Head gasket again at 120K. I have a $50,000 car after all of the repairs that have been made on it--wise to quit producing this vehicle.

Love-d It!
By Cathy on 09/25/08 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it new and liked its uniqueness. Yellow is easy to spot in the Wal-Mart parking lot! Very comfy for tall people and all seats recline for long trips. Interior is durable,everything in the right place. Most room for a mid-size SUV--I put several large trees and numerous plants in this thing! If they made them again, I'd buy one. Mine was 2WD and handled very well in snow/ice. The only reason I don't have one now is because a tornado destroyed it! had over 144K and ran great.

Bad experience
By not happy on 06/11/08 10:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with about 60k miles, at 63k all the problems began with the check engine light. GM said it was the ECM, electronic control module. It resembles a long cable (wrapped in black plastic) that is underneath the car and plugs into a socket like thing on the undercarriage. Very exposed to the road elements! GM wanted $1100 for the part & another $900 to install. I paid, and the engine light still stayed on. GM tried to say it was not the ECM after I paid $2,000! I took it back to the Dealer prior to any of this, that was a hoot. That is another story. I could not get the car inspected, so traded it recently, took a beating and learned a lesson, run away from Pontiac Cars!

Not worth your money
By Shannon1283 on 04/19/08 07:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I first bought my AWD Sports Aztek because of 2 friends owning one. I took a ride in it and fell in love. 2 days later, I went and bought one. As ugly as it is, my Aztek is super sporty with a lot of features most don't have. However, I have had nothing but problems with it (My 2 friends sold theirs a year later and later found out it was documented a "lemon"). I have 72,000 miles on it right now. I have replaced both front rotors twice, brakes twice, windshield always leaks,gas mileage is horrible.I fill up every 4 to 5 days (I only drive about 30 miles every day). Rear latch always sticks, tires wear out easily, now the car is shaking and a bad grinding noise which is affecting driving

Garbage In Garbage Out
By simpleaztek on 04/08/08 06:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Words of Wisdom - once the Aztek is over 3 years old or 50,000 miles it will deteriorate into a money pit. We absolutely loved ours until about eight months ago. Front passenger wheel bearing went, then the intake manifold leaked (yes, I know about the DexCool settlement) and then we had a cracked head gasket. Over $3k into the car in the past six months and its only 5 1/2 years old and with only 60,000 miles on it. Here I come Honda! Never a GM car again for me.

Off the Beaten Path.
By Krovas on 03/02/08 08:01 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had my '02 Aztek for a few months. Purchased at 54k for $8000 even. A few initial repair issues (wheel hubs/bearings) that the dealer took care of. Decent mileage overall for a vehicle of this kind, but truly excellent on the highway. Possibly the most comfortable SUV ever made; a four hour drive feels like a ten minute trip to the supermarket. Interior design more than makes up for funky exterior styling. Somewhat irritating hatch release mechanism. Sufficient power for itself, but I probably wouldn't try towing anything with it. AWD performance is terrific. Overall, it's looks aren't the Aztek's only eccentricity, but I'll bet you'll forget all about them if you drive one.

I will never buy a GM again
By eebrando on 01/17/08 06:41 AM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I thought I had made a pretty good deal at the time of purchase but when you add up all I have spent in repairs (transmission, a/c (had only 48k miles at the time), traction system) I am driving a $30k PONTIAC. I hate cars.