Used 2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

The Best UGLY car you could ask for.
By magicbus20

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

167,000 miles is much more than I wanted when getting my first vehicle. This thing was ok and gave me a great experience. It lasted a littler over 200,000 before I gave up on her. (I can't tell for sure because of a short in the odometer.) Which brings me to the first con, electronics. There were a couple of shorts and other weird things happening. The transmission started to shift hard and slip out of gear on hot days. Overall I trusted this car with my life. Usually got me point a to b until a cold winter day. Heater had gone for some time and finally she overheated and kicked the bed, or so I thought. Family mechanic brought her from the dead. Still rotting in the yard.

Becomes a tent! Air compressor conveniently located behind hatch. Seats 5 and fold the seats for extra cargo or an air mattress. The tailgate has seats and cup holders etched into it. Simple design and easy to drive. Privacy glass and a lot of standard features! Least favorite- Trans. issues, overheats, wire issues, wheel issues, brake issues. Ugly interior cloth stains easily. Obviously the entire exterior too.

Overall build quality. Cosmetics need vast improvements. Better looking interior as well. It came WELL equipped.

New buyer needs help with quirk!
By rodgerramjet47

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV GT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought for 15 yr old Son for him to drive in a 6 months, and wife now after some brainless driver side- swiped her beloved 2005 Screeming Yellow mustang! Bought cheap and car is absolutely like new red/black GT AWD. Got from original owner who has regularly documented maint hx and new guaranteed trans. SUV has intermittent very loud intermittent rattle that seems to come from left front. Rattle comes on more when air is on, maybe(?) Thought at first to be worn/loose shocks, but with all the A/C comments, wondering if condenser is failing and making grinding noise-- RPM drop? Note: Air bolws VERY cold!?

Cool ahead of-time retro looks/utility. Sort of like a US made Honda Element!

Rubber mats over luggage area and more soundproofing in area?

Not too sure.
By SUE

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car from my in laws. What a bad choice. It was low on miles when I bought it from them. Fuel censor went, and they never replaced it. It was just 32 days after they purchased it. They had done some minor repairs on it. They barely drove it. So when I bought it 9 yrs old with 114k on it. I though I was laughing. I have now put it up to 154k in about 1 1/2 yrs. And the transmission just pooched on me a few days ago. The engine light comes on often, the breaks go, the gasket needs changing. No heat in the winter or air conditioner in the summer. And its been fixed repeatably. I am glad to hand over this hunk of junk.

I like the option to camp in it. I hate setting up a tent and with this option you can move the seats up to sleep in the back. I also like the room in the trunk. But that is about it.

make a better car.

It got a bad rap
By Mina

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At first I thought it was just plain ugly! Then I drove it and bought it, needing a car NOW. Fun to drive, great U-turns, comfortable, enough features. New engine at 72,000 miles - a piston/cylinder spring broke - but that's the only problem. 26 mpg on trips - really good for the space we had. Seating was good, even used the tent and mattress once (we're older). Liked having shoulder belt in middle of back seat. Disgusted that Pontiac/GM didn't have a comparable sized replacement, now in 2007 Rendezvous. Like that, but, again, discontinued.

great
By justin

2001 Pontiac Aztek SUV GT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

never have had a problem with my aztek. runs great. a few things have gone wrong. but i got the car with 150k. should have gotten a bigger motor. but i can't complain. i know everyone thought they were ugly but i think they're one of the nicer mid level cars GM built.