2001 Pontiac Aztek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:
The Best UGLY car you could ask for.
By magicbus20 on 05/05/14 10:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

167,000 miles is much more than I wanted when getting my first vehicle. This thing was ok and gave me a great experience. It lasted a littler over 200,000 before I gave up on her. (I can't tell for sure because of a short in the odometer.) Which brings me to the first con, electronics. There were a couple of shorts and other weird things happening. The transmission started to shift hard and slip out of gear on hot days. Overall I trusted this car with my life. Usually got me point a to b until a cold winter day. Heater had gone for some time and finally she overheated and kicked the bed, or so I thought. Family mechanic brought her from the dead. Still rotting in the yard.

New buyer needs help with quirk!
By rodgerramjet47 on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought for 15 yr old Son for him to drive in a 6 months, and wife now after some brainless driver side- swiped her beloved 2005 Screeming Yellow mustang! Bought cheap and car is absolutely like new red/black GT AWD. Got from original owner who has regularly documented maint hx and new guaranteed trans. SUV has intermittent very loud intermittent rattle that seems to come from left front. Rattle comes on more when air is on, maybe(?) Thought at first to be worn/loose shocks, but with all the A/C comments, wondering if condenser is failing and making grinding noise-- RPM drop? Note: Air bolws VERY cold!?

Not too sure.
By SUE on 08/17/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car from my in laws. What a bad choice. It was low on miles when I bought it from them. Fuel censor went, and they never replaced it. It was just 32 days after they purchased it. They had done some minor repairs on it. They barely drove it. So when I bought it 9 yrs old with 114k on it. I though I was laughing. I have now put it up to 154k in about 1 1/2 yrs. And the transmission just pooched on me a few days ago. The engine light comes on often, the breaks go, the gasket needs changing. No heat in the winter or air conditioner in the summer. And its been fixed repeatably. I am glad to hand over this hunk of junk.

It got a bad rap
By Mina on 07/16/10 07:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

At first I thought it was just plain ugly! Then I drove it and bought it, needing a car NOW. Fun to drive, great U-turns, comfortable, enough features. New engine at 72,000 miles - a piston/cylinder spring broke - but that's the only problem. 26 mpg on trips - really good for the space we had. Seating was good, even used the tent and mattress once (we're older). Liked having shoulder belt in middle of back seat. Disgusted that Pontiac/GM didn't have a comparable sized replacement, now in 2007 Rendezvous. Like that, but, again, discontinued.

great
By justin on 05/18/10 19:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

never have had a problem with my aztek. runs great. a few things have gone wrong. but i got the car with 150k. should have gotten a bigger motor. but i can't complain. i know everyone thought they were ugly but i think they're one of the nicer mid level cars GM built.

keep it for life
By derek16 on 01/14/10 18:18 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for about a year now and i love it! When i first got it the temp. gauge went out so i returned it to the car dealer ship. They tried to fix it but the just broke it even worse and the broke the gas gauge. But i know when im gonaa run out. It is in the shop because the air conditoner compresser fell off but what can u expect. Every car will need work done to it eventualy. I have treat this car like crap and it has only broke down onec. Everyone says that it is good on the snow but i have ran into many curbs and bent the rims. All in all this is the best car that i have had and i plan to switch to the torrent when this one goes out. Very roomy. Hope this was helpful.

Best Vehicle Ever!
By Best Vehicle Ever on 01/05/10 07:48 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

You must purchase this vehicle! It is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have purchased brand new vehicles time and time again. This time I thought it would be smart to pay cash for a vehicle. The Aztek's are priced low and literally the best vehicle I have ever owned. I work at a large dealership and it literally drives better than a brand new vehicle! Really reliable I've never had a problem which is amazing with such high mileage. This vehicle is in showroom condition even the leather is like new. Pontiac really made a sound vehicle this time! Really pround of my vehicle, and enjoy driving it each and everyday! After getting out of new vehicles I look forward to mine! Buy 1!

Love my Aztek
By LostNotForgotton on 10/23/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek GT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have never had a problem with my Aztek. I put nearly 30,000 miles a year on it and it has never given me any trouble. My Aztek is fully loaded with the exception of AWD and heated seats. The heads up display is a cool feature. The storage tray is convenient although if you set anything on it while drive it will slide around. I think the storage tray should have been coated with a rubber surface. The onboard air pump should be standard on all vehicles. I can pump up an air mattress, basketball or all of my tires. The 6 disc in-dash CD player and factory 10 speaker Pioneer sound system are great. I would say the engine is a little under powered for the weight but overall I love my Aztek.

Switching To Ford or Foreign!
By TonyaHarding on 10/14/09 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

When the Aztek was introduced, it was love at first sight! I just HAD to have one! Six pricey years later, I can't wait to get rid of it. I gave it a 5 for reliability because it's never broken down and left me stranded, but only a 5 because it's been one thing after another with this vehicle. Three A/C condensers,odometer went out so had to replace ENTIRE display, heat/AC control went out, dual temp control went out, head gasket, gas gauge doesn't work, driver side window, black trim paint started fading and peeling away when 4 years old, roof rack clamps rattle in wind, taillights and center brake light weathered & cracked @ 4 years. 5th GM car AND my last! Ford or foreign next time!

2001 Aztek things I learned
By mike on 09/22/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2008, with only 63K miles on it for 5K. Needed to put on new AC condenser, which the dealership wanted $1,100. I bought a reconditioned one on ebay for $200, and then a shop installed for $75 Also I problems with steering PULLING hard left, and then hard right, until I noticed that there were two different brand of tires on front. Once I bought two new tires that matched, it drives like a dream. I still get lights that flash on the dash, I keep taking it in, and , two weeks later they come on again.