1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:
The truth
By markoregon1986 on 08/25/14 14:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

The engine is over powered for this transmission. it has a recall for the airbags and the cruise control. so if you get one bring it into a Chrysler dealership. I bought this car for 1,200.00 and you get what you pay for in older cars. the dealer was honest but didn't mention the common problem with this vehicle at the time which was the transmission/clutch. the computer system is notorious for failing and not registering the proper codes for when there is a mechanical issue such as a transmission issue. so yes the computer system isn't reliable. the transmissions on these vehicles are not equipped to handle that 3.3l engine and are prone to falling apart. constant maintenance and upkeep.

done in too soon
By nomo van on 12/03/09 20:26 PM (PST)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

bought this basic van new with 4 cyl and 3 sp auto. Never really loved this car, but used and abused it for over 10 years, and exactly 181000 miles, overloading it with college students stuff, and home remodel materials. expensive repairs limited to both rear wheel bearings, and seemingly too often brakes. look for rusted strut towers if looking at a used one. This is what killed mine. Lots of long trips and lots of snow and salt over the years.

1999 Voyger performance
By Eddie Money on 09/24/09 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this amazing minivan with 212,000 original miles with everything original except the tires and couple of belts. I've had other mini and full size vans, but this baby just goes and goes and everything works. Needs improvement on CV joint for its not easy to service. Other than that this is a great mini van and having such excessive miles everything in this van works great.

Best mule I ever owned
By JLA on 08/02/09 18:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I have had this van for 10 yrs. Great AC, safe on the road and pretty good MPG. It has lasted through my daughter's middle school years, high school years and my private business. It has transported cheerleading teams, volleyball teams, bowling leagues and swimmers. It has traveled back and forth over the state of FL. Has pulled hot dog carts and tree roots and is a trusted old friend. Most reliable of any cars/vans I have ever owned.

Love this Van, BUT.......
By bev crossley on 06/28/09 09:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

This van has been great untill recently. We bought it new with the intention to keep it forever. One year ago, two computer sensors had to be replaced because it would not automatically shift gears. Just a week ago, the transmission had to be replaced because the torque converter was falling apart and throwing metal into the works. The air conditioner just died. And the ignition needs replaced because the key will not turn. This van has had great care and upkeep. We do not understand why it seems to be suddenly falling apart.

oil leak problems
By michelle on 05/14/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought this van used and I loved it until it developed an oil leak. So far I have replaced the valve cover gaskets, oil pan and gaskets and the oil is still leaking. These repairs have totaled $750.00. Had it into the mechanic today and was told they will redo the valve covers, and if it doesn't stop leaking then its a head gaskets. Other than struggling with the oil leak its a pretty good vehicle.

Best Bang for Your Buck
By Minivan Mama on 05/28/08 07:21 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Not a flashy car but it's not ugly either. I bought my Voyager for a steal from a private owner when it was 2 yrs old w/almost 89,000 miles on it (former fleet car). Fast forward 2008: it now has over 178,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Other than the normal tire, brake and fluids replacements, I've had no major problems with it. It was only last year the ty rods & wheel bearings had to be replaced; yesterday I replaced the spark plugs/wires (to be expected given its age and use). It will be a sad day indeed when my minivan kicks the bucket.

Pretty good.
By SomePerson on 12/26/07 17:57 PM (PST)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

We've had this van for eight years and it has been very reliable. It took us from Alabama to Washington State with no problems. We've since upgraded to a Hyundai Azera, but we still keep it around because it's a good reliable car. As the car ages it needs more repairs though. Gets good gas mileage and as decent features. My biggest beef against it is that it is not fun to drive at all. Over all a good car.

good car
By good car on 08/10/07 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I had this cars since 2003 and it is a good car. Of course I changed like every pipe and wire on it because they were all burned and broken.

Good to go
By Pat & Bill on 09/04/06 10:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

Have had no trouble with this van. Had bad EGR valve and dealer repaired. Just regular maintenance. Have pulled a small tent trailer with no problem, hauled many people and with seats out, much junk. It's our "truck" with lots of seating for people and especially for our grandchildren, who have loved the built in child seats. This has been a reliable, versatile van.