1998 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:
Voyagers Rock
By voyager99 on 03/31/13 18:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I bought a 1998 Plymouth Voyager with 165,000 miles on it in 2011 for 1100 and all I can say is Im impressed. Ive put just about ZERO money into it and even was late on the oil changes but this thing still starts with the first turn of the key. Other minor things have gone wrong as the car is old but nothing major. I work with a guy that also owns one and he says its the best vehicle he has ever owned. I hear these are not so reliable but that has not been my experience. Take it for what it is, if you can find one for a cheap price grab it. Its a fun and comfortable vehicle to drive and I loved mine till I sold it for a newer car.

An Excellent vehicle EXCEPT
By rasdebol on 05/03/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

The Chrysler mini-van line is a pretty good one. Reasonably well styled, very reliable engine, comfortable, extremely practical, nice to drive and ride in, so it's almost all PROS BUT as good as they are the ONE bad feature is a BIG one:The Transmission! The Chrysler mini-van transmission is legendarily BAD! If you own one and have not had to replace the transmission at least a couple of times consider yourself lucky! Then again if you like everything else about the vehicle you can keep driving your beloved van for a few more years for the cost of a transmission. SHAME on Chrysler for letting this go on for so many years AND not offering ANY help when they fail.

Best Vehicle we ever owned
By 98 voyager on 04/08/10 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

I never thought I would say this, but this is the most reliable vehicle we owned. We bought it used (110k mi) intending to keep 3-4 years, and still have it after 7. Looked at Ford, GM and Toyota, but the Voyager had the best ride, interior and styling. Transmission was repaired for a seal leak. Otherwise no problems with 190k miles today. Very smooth and quiet, comfortable ride. Nice interior and styling. A real dependable workhorse for us. 3.8 engine is smooth and reliable. Pulls a camper easily. Great gas mileage!

Great van
By John A on 12/15/09 13:45 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 98 van in 2005 with 70,000 on it for $5,000. I now have 150,000 on it and have had zero problems. I have changed oil regularly, maintained transmission, flushed radiator, etc. I get 26mpg hwy and 22 city. I use my van in my job so recently bought a 2007 Dodge Caravan with 30k on it because of the success with the Plymouth. Hate to part with my Plymouth but expect to get a minimum $2,500 for it. It has been a great vehicle for me.

hmm
By rickstaxi2009 on 12/02/09 18:14 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

well we bought one these 98 junks got it with 100k on it at 140 tranny went then starting getting electrical problems fuel gage and all lights flashing all the time. still have electric problems bought a third tranny sofar 15k miles on it still holding up with a bit of a glunk with applying brakes

swap festeva for a voyager sport :-)
By none on 06/17/09 00:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

swapped festeva for voyager sport w/3L am real happy with it replaced DOA alternator former owner had no idea what was wrong been driving it ever since ate 2 serpent belts loves wiper blades don't last 3differnt sizes front rear eeeerrrr rear seat's dam to heavy rust never sleeps it's dieing of cancer to the strut mounts bad poor design

Good ole faithful
By Angie on 10/04/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

This has been the best van that I could say our family has ever owned. We got it with about 90K and now it has 113,000 and is still running like a champ. The interior is crazy comfortable and it is built nice a strong on the outside. We abuse our cars though a little, since we are always so busy, but this vehicle hasn't given out on us at all. No major repairs whatsoever, just some brake fixing but that's about it. Love this van, it's picked up almost every single person in our family like a taxi cab and it just goes all over the city like a little bus. I love this vehicle!

My Baby served me well!
By kathy on 09/04/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

I have enjoyed my Voyager over the past 11 years. I average 20 miles per gal in the city and 25 highway. I have been doing many trips to Virginia Beach since my twin grandsons and daughter live there and I feel its time to look for a new vehicle but I don't know what I want. I love my Voyager and just had the evaporator core replaced. My mechanic says its time to start looking for something newer to be safe since I am female and drive the trip alone. I do not have one scratch or rust spot on it and until the past year it was keep outside year round.

Great van
By johnabirk on 08/07/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager Expresso 4dr Minivan

I've owned my Voyager for 10 years. It has been by far my best car experience, and I've had a lot. It gets the kind of mileage you'd expect from a minivan. It is reliable and comfortable. I've had no major issues at 140,000K. The engine seems bulletproof to me. Normal oil, transmission, and tuneup work. It was and is a keeper. I must have gotten ahold of a good one.

It's still running and running well.
By '98 Ply Voy 3.3L on 08/04/08 02:15 AM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Voyager SE 4dr Minivan

I've ridden in this thing since it was purchased. First, my grandmother drove it (no joke) on weekends to the grocery store. My family used it a bit more intensely as a hockey van for trips to and from hockey rinks around the county. Now I use it to haul college friends around, and I'm a bit of speed demon. This thing has been through hell and back. Lady backed out of her driveway and hit the right sliding door. Numerous flat tires, one bent rim, and a frantic drive from Tallahassee to West Palm at an average of about 90 MPH. Never had a major issue. Change brakes often, but as long as its maintained it keeps on going and going. Just passed 110K Miles.