Used 1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

I would buy another
By Steve

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought my 1997 Voyager when I still had kids at home and after eleven years/215,000 miles and no major work done, the tranny finally gave out. I hope to rebuild myself, I would hate to give up on this car. I would like to buy another new one, I liked it so much!

Junky
By nicomp

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought a '96 Voyager, returned it under the lemon laws less than a year later. Had to pay $1K to lose the '96 and get the '97. At 55K miles check engine light came on. No other symptoms. Dealer couldn't make it go off. Finally they decided to do a valve job. I had to pay $1500 for that. They thought it was a good deal. I guess it was a good deal for them. Since about 70K miles the engine has been tapping. It sounds like a lifter problem and at 140K miles, it's a constant sound when the engine is running. Sounds like a diesel. Uses oil, burning it and dripping it. Headliner is falling off. Always runs OK, taps constantly. Eats belt tensioners annually. HVAC head has become intermittent.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, except headliner. Easy to change oil in the driveway. Seats are not stow and go but they are on wheels and easy to get in and out if you are strong enough or there are two of you.

Suggested Improvements

Make the power train reliable. Engineer it better. Only 5 spark plugs are accessible. Make the 6th one accessible.

No more Chrysler
By Lisa

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought our Voyager brand new. Virtually everything has been replaced in it. It is ridiculous! Chrysler and other American automakers just cannot compare with foreign automakers which explains the decline in sales. You will be sorry if you buy any Chrysler-made vehicle. The transmission in our Voyager blew at 55,000 and 125,000. Every single American-made vehicle we have bought has had transmission and/or engine issues! Our Toyota Camry has over 200,000 miles on it, and no problems yet!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Major mechanical flaws!

Buy a Toyota or Honda
By ---

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Spend the extra couple thousand dollars on a decent minivan/SUV. We have a '97 4-DR SE, and it has been towed 4 times within the last year. We take it to Chrysler to get it maintained on a yearly basis due to the non-reliability, and we also take it to our regular mechanic. Yet, it still croaks. Bought it brand new. Never again. Chrysler needs to clean up their act...and what's the deal with the transmission not being recalled? We baby this minivan, especially with young children. It rides very smoothly one day, and the next, well, we're on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck...has happened 4 times this past year. At least Toyota and Honda stand behind their products.

Favorite Features

Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Interior feature quality, mechanical system, engine, transmission, and just about everything else. This is not a safe vehicle!

'97 Voyager
By Warren

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has been excellent. The dealership in Durham however is terrible. Over the years (10) we have had minimal repairs and strictly standard maintenance. I change my own oil and keep an eye on fluid levels. Leaking gasket around oil pan at around 100,000. We are at 120,000 and alas the transmission is slipping. Other than that, a very dependable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Built-in car seats were a great idea until they locked up. Dealer could not repair but luckily our children have out grown them. Removable seats are great, were new in their day. Lots of good, thoughtful engineering that was copied by the Japanese. A real breakthrough in design for its time.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, maybe one more speed. Diesel option would be great. I drive them in Europe.