1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:
great van
By jamie2652 on 08/30/13 08:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I have had my 97 for almost 2 yrs I have put some work into it and for the most part this van has been GREAT I have done most of the repairs myself by watching you tube and i must say I now know I have been getting ripped off for a long time by taking it in to do simple maintenance My husband loves the money we saved I would buy another one in a heart beat

14 Good Years
By mebt315 on 06/25/11 21:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

"Wanda", our beloved family vehicle of 14 years has finally gone to car heaven mostly due to a dying transmission. We took this van everywhere (especially camping), and when I went to college it became my car. Does not like going fast, and sometimes taking turns can make you feel like you're driving a tank...but realistically it's a mini-van not a BMW 5 speed. Would have loved to have driven it for at least another year, but fixing the tranny would cost $2000+ which is a lot more than the car is worth.

Drove her into the ground
By Van to VW on 07/13/10 17:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I got this van from my parents when it had roughly 140k on it. I just turned 202k and am only now starting to have problems with it (a variety of things that add up to me getting a new car). The most I ever put into it was new tires, oil changes, brakes and new joint of some kind (not very car savvy). It is by no means pretty to look at or not even close to being cool to drive, but it's comfortable and extremely reliable. I would absolutely buy another one if I had purpose to. Only getting a Jetta because I have no need for a mini van anymore.

My Favorite Car to date
By Henken on 10/27/09 18:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I am 6 feet 3 inches and have lots of room in this little marvel. The dashboard is sexy and easy to maneuver around. I had the dealer make a modification to the accessory relay so that my GPS and phone chargers will stay charged when the vehicle is not running. The ride is smooth and with the double-side doors not a single feel of flex or squeak.

Very Reliable
By mikego on 06/19/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

OK- I got the 3.0 L with 3 speed automatic, simple version. Good choice. I have owned since new, have put on 150K with only oil leaks (seals), a starter, a battery and a water pump to go bad. Still has original exhaust. I cannot complain about a single thing on this car. If there was ever a car to just do oil changes, brakes and an occasional timing belt, this is is. I would buy another in a minute.

I would buy another
By Steve on 10/24/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought my 1997 Voyager when I still had kids at home and after eleven years/215,000 miles and no major work done, the tranny finally gave out. I hope to rebuild myself, I would hate to give up on this car. I would like to buy another new one, I liked it so much!

Junky
By nicomp on 09/08/07 08:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought a '96 Voyager, returned it under the lemon laws less than a year later. Had to pay $1K to lose the '96 and get the '97. At 55K miles check engine light came on. No other symptoms. Dealer couldn't make it go off. Finally they decided to do a valve job. I had to pay $1500 for that. They thought it was a good deal. I guess it was a good deal for them. Since about 70K miles the engine has been tapping. It sounds like a lifter problem and at 140K miles, it's a constant sound when the engine is running. Sounds like a diesel. Uses oil, burning it and dripping it. Headliner is falling off. Always runs OK, taps constantly. Eats belt tensioners annually. HVAC head has become intermittent.

No more Chrysler
By Lisa on 04/08/07 21:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

We bought our Voyager brand new. Virtually everything has been replaced in it. It is ridiculous! Chrysler and other American automakers just cannot compare with foreign automakers which explains the decline in sales. You will be sorry if you buy any Chrysler-made vehicle. The transmission in our Voyager blew at 55,000 and 125,000. Every single American-made vehicle we have bought has had transmission and/or engine issues! Our Toyota Camry has over 200,000 miles on it, and no problems yet!

Buy a Toyota or Honda
By --- on 03/27/07 21:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Spend the extra couple thousand dollars on a decent minivan/SUV. We have a '97 4-DR SE, and it has been towed 4 times within the last year. We take it to Chrysler to get it maintained on a yearly basis due to the non-reliability, and we also take it to our regular mechanic. Yet, it still croaks. Bought it brand new. Never again. Chrysler needs to clean up their act...and what's the deal with the transmission not being recalled? We baby this minivan, especially with young children. It rides very smoothly one day, and the next, well, we're on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck...has happened 4 times this past year. At least Toyota and Honda stand behind their products.

'97 Voyager
By Warren on 08/23/06 06:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has been excellent. The dealership in Durham however is terrible. Over the years (10) we have had minimal repairs and strictly standard maintenance. I change my own oil and keep an eye on fluid levels. Leaking gasket around oil pan at around 100,000. We are at 120,000 and alas the transmission is slipping. Other than that, a very dependable vehicle.