Used 1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

great van
By jamie2652

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I have had my 97 for almost 2 yrs I have put some work into it and for the most part this van has been GREAT I have done most of the repairs myself by watching you tube and i must say I now know I have been getting ripped off for a long time by taking it in to do simple maintenance My husband loves the money we saved I would buy another one in a heart beat

lots of room

It does need to get better gas milage

14 Good Years
By mebt315

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

"Wanda", our beloved family vehicle of 14 years has finally gone to car heaven mostly due to a dying transmission. We took this van everywhere (especially camping), and when I went to college it became my car. Does not like going fast, and sometimes taking turns can make you feel like you're driving a tank...but realistically it's a mini-van not a BMW 5 speed. Would have loved to have driven it for at least another year, but fixing the tranny would cost $2000+ which is a lot more than the car is worth.

Space, removable/movable seats, safe under passenger seat is pretty cool. Roomy and perfect for family vacations with lots of gear. "Wanda" moved me into college, went through a safari in Six Flags NJ, went camping all over New England and NY.

better, long lasting transmissions :(

Drove her into the ground
By Van to VW

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I got this van from my parents when it had roughly 140k on it. I just turned 202k and am only now starting to have problems with it (a variety of things that add up to me getting a new car). The most I ever put into it was new tires, oil changes, brakes and new joint of some kind (not very car savvy). It is by no means pretty to look at or not even close to being cool to drive, but it's comfortable and extremely reliable. I would absolutely buy another one if I had purpose to. Only getting a Jetta because I have no need for a mini van anymore.

No particular favorite. Love the reliability of it.

The "idiot lights" are directly in line with the steering wheel for somebody my height.

My Favorite Car to date
By Henken

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I am 6 feet 3 inches and have lots of room in this little marvel. The dashboard is sexy and easy to maneuver around. I had the dealer make a modification to the accessory relay so that my GPS and phone chargers will stay charged when the vehicle is not running. The ride is smooth and with the double-side doors not a single feel of flex or squeak.

The built-in toddler seats have been a blessing. Mine have never locked up even when covered with saltines! Perhaps juices tend to lock them up. They are great even though my kids are grown, I have friends with toddlers. No more carrying HUGE child seats with this car.

The transmission "failed" at about 140000 miles. A new transmission was installed but this wasn't the problem. Turns out that the radiator clogs up in the transmission cooler section thus overheating and burning the transmission. I actually saw this demonstrated to me by the dealer.

Very Reliable
By mikego

1997 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

OK- I got the 3.0 L with 3 speed automatic, simple version. Good choice. I have owned since new, have put on 150K with only oil leaks (seals), a starter, a battery and a water pump to go bad. Still has original exhaust. I cannot complain about a single thing on this car. If there was ever a car to just do oil changes, brakes and an occasional timing belt, this is is. I would buy another in a minute.

This car does anything and everything. We love it - hauling, vacation, bringing a bunch of people around

Nothing- keep it simple and easy