Used 1997 Plymouth Voyager Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

1997 Plymouth Voyager

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

14 Good Years
By mebt315

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

"Wanda", our beloved family vehicle of 14 years has finally gone to car heaven mostly due to a dying transmission. We took this van everywhere (especially camping), and when I went to college it became my car. Does not like going fast, and sometimes taking turns can make you feel like you're driving a tank...but realistically it's a mini-van not a BMW 5 speed. Would have loved to have driven it for at least another year, but fixing the tranny would cost $2000+ which is a lot more than the car is worth.

Favorite Features

Space, removable/movable seats, safe under passenger seat is pretty cool. Roomy and perfect for family vacations with lots of gear. "Wanda" moved me into college, went through a safari in Six Flags NJ, went camping all over New England and NY.

Suggested Improvements

better, long lasting transmissions :(

Drove her into the ground
By Van to VW

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I got this van from my parents when it had roughly 140k on it. I just turned 202k and am only now starting to have problems with it (a variety of things that add up to me getting a new car). The most I ever put into it was new tires, oil changes, brakes and new joint of some kind (not very car savvy). It is by no means pretty to look at or not even close to being cool to drive, but it's comfortable and extremely reliable. I would absolutely buy another one if I had purpose to. Only getting a Jetta because I have no need for a mini van anymore.

Favorite Features

No particular favorite. Love the reliability of it.

Suggested Improvements

The "idiot lights" are directly in line with the steering wheel for somebody my height.

I would buy another
By Steve

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I bought my 1997 Voyager when I still had kids at home and after eleven years/215,000 miles and no major work done, the tranny finally gave out. I hope to rebuild myself, I would hate to give up on this car. I would like to buy another new one, I liked it so much!

Junky
By nicomp

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I bought a '96 Voyager, returned it under the lemon laws less than a year later. Had to pay $1K to lose the '96 and get the '97. At 55K miles check engine light came on. No other symptoms. Dealer couldn't make it go off. Finally they decided to do a valve job. I had to pay $1500 for that. They thought it was a good deal. I guess it was a good deal for them. Since about 70K miles the engine has been tapping. It sounds like a lifter problem and at 140K miles, it's a constant sound when the engine is running. Sounds like a diesel. Uses oil, burning it and dripping it. Headliner is falling off. Always runs OK, taps constantly. Eats belt tensioners annually. HVAC head has become intermittent.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, except headliner. Easy to change oil in the driveway. Seats are not stow and go but they are on wheels and easy to get in and out if you are strong enough or there are two of you.

Suggested Improvements

Make the power train reliable. Engineer it better. Only 5 spark plugs are accessible. Make the 6th one accessible.

Transmission is a Dud
By robby

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

The transmission is a problem with the 1997 Plymouth Voyager. I have had to have my transmission rebuilt at around 100,000 miles. I am now at 143,000 and the symptoms are returning. I am vigilant at maintaining oil and fluid levels. I would conclude that it is in the engineering.