1997 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:
14 Good Years
By mebt315 on 06/25/11 21:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

"Wanda", our beloved family vehicle of 14 years has finally gone to car heaven mostly due to a dying transmission. We took this van everywhere (especially camping), and when I went to college it became my car. Does not like going fast, and sometimes taking turns can make you feel like you're driving a tank...but realistically it's a mini-van not a BMW 5 speed. Would have loved to have driven it for at least another year, but fixing the tranny would cost $2000+ which is a lot more than the car is worth.

Drove her into the ground
By Van to VW on 07/13/10 17:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I got this van from my parents when it had roughly 140k on it. I just turned 202k and am only now starting to have problems with it (a variety of things that add up to me getting a new car). The most I ever put into it was new tires, oil changes, brakes and new joint of some kind (not very car savvy). It is by no means pretty to look at or not even close to being cool to drive, but it's comfortable and extremely reliable. I would absolutely buy another one if I had purpose to. Only getting a Jetta because I have no need for a mini van anymore.

I would buy another
By Steve on 10/24/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I bought my 1997 Voyager when I still had kids at home and after eleven years/215,000 miles and no major work done, the tranny finally gave out. I hope to rebuild myself, I would hate to give up on this car. I would like to buy another new one, I liked it so much!

Junky
By nicomp on 09/08/07 08:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I bought a '96 Voyager, returned it under the lemon laws less than a year later. Had to pay $1K to lose the '96 and get the '97. At 55K miles check engine light came on. No other symptoms. Dealer couldn't make it go off. Finally they decided to do a valve job. I had to pay $1500 for that. They thought it was a good deal. I guess it was a good deal for them. Since about 70K miles the engine has been tapping. It sounds like a lifter problem and at 140K miles, it's a constant sound when the engine is running. Sounds like a diesel. Uses oil, burning it and dripping it. Headliner is falling off. Always runs OK, taps constantly. Eats belt tensioners annually. HVAC head has become intermittent.

Transmission is a Dud
By robby on 02/22/05 13:05 PM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

The transmission is a problem with the 1997 Plymouth Voyager. I have had to have my transmission rebuilt at around 100,000 miles. I am now at 143,000 and the symptoms are returning. I am vigilant at maintaining oil and fluid levels. I would conclude that it is in the engineering.

97 plymouth voager
By lucca on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

I had this car seven years and have had only minor problems. I used it to haul small furnishings and accessories. It worked great. Yhe interior is simple, yet nicely designed, as is the exterior. I've had some minor problems with electical, but overall have been satisfied.

1997 Plymouth Voyager STD
By kmikkola1 on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

We have owned our Voyager since 1999. It was purchased with just under 50000 miles, now it has 105000. Other than normal maintenence, the only real problem we had was the need to replace a starter coil about 3 months ago.

nolongermopar
By Nolongermopar on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

This is a lemon..plain and simple. It has been in the shop (3 times by tow truck) no less than 3 times a year for different mechanical and electrical problems. Everything from a broken timing belt @ 29000 miles to a busted head gasket at 55000. Turn on the radio and the windshield wipers are sure to work. That relay has been replaced at least 3 times.

OK van
By kevbop on 03/02/02 10:26 AM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3dr Minivan

My base Plymouth Voyager has been a pretty good vehicle up to now. I have had it 5 1/2 years and I have had only one persistant problem. The head gasket has been replaced twice under warranty and is leaking again. I am going through about 1 qt of oil every 1300 miles. Most other things about the van have been good. The mileage, especially on the highway has been great.( up to 26mpg.)