Used 1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

junk
By mark

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

i have owned this vehicle for only a year and i have spent way too much for repairs. I have replaced clockspring, oxygen censor, battery, radio and etc.. The fuses blow every couple weeks. I would not suggest this vehicle to anyone.

it drives

the electrical stinks and the wiring needs an upgrade

96 Grand Voyager SE...can't kill it!
By wkw

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Bought this van a couple of years ago with 114K on the clock (average condition overall). Have had a couple of minor things go bad (normal wear and tear). Overall, a good people hauler. We had an 89 Dodge Caravan SE that we kept for ten years and loved it (4 cylinder,5 speed manual that we special ordered while stationed in W. Germany). We have really liked all of the Chrysler products we've owned (2 vans, 2 pickups & a sedan).

Our favorite feature with these vans is the interior room/hauling capacity.

The headliner material has never failed to disappoint me. We are getting ready to re-cover the headliner again.

Against the odds
By ejntk

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

We have owned this since 1998. We bought it at 30,000 miles and now have 190,000 on it with the original engine and original transmission, in spite of towing a small travel trailer with it for some time. We had to replace the water pump last year, and the valve cover gaskets the year before that. This van starts every time, drives smooth, and fits our 3 kids and their friends (ours is the 7-pass. version). We bought an Expedition for towing, but I am still driving the van a lot because it is such a great vehicle. This is, by far, the wisest vehicle purchase we have ever made.

smooth ride, dependability, 7 pass. seating, and gas mileage.

more storage compartments .

LOUSY transmission
By Roy Osselton

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

Transmission went at 32,000 km and 66,000 km; both fixed under warranty. NO tow hitch. Clock spring went too. Transmission completely went at 156,000 km. Chrysler Canada and the dealership offered no compensation. $2000 out of pocket. After the transmission went again at 66,000 Km I asked for a replacement. Only another repair was authorized. The dealership accused me of towing too heavy a load. I then pointed out there is no tow hitch on the vehicle.

BUILD A RELIABLE TRANSMISSION. Chrysler should take more responsibility in their transmissions.

Never Again!
By Never Again!

1996 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van is a waste of time, money, and space on the planet. One word. Quality. NOT. How many transmissions should a person be expected to replace in one vehicle? It's been a known problem for so long. Yet they do nothing to improve the quality. We bought this instead of an Odyssey or MPV because it was so much more economical. What a huge mistake. From now on, I will never stray from Honda/Toyota/Subaru. They may cost more up front, but you save with them big time because they LAST and keep their re-sale value. You really get what you pay for. This is a gigantic waste of money. It is the most worthless vehicle I have ever owned. Never again.

I will give it this. It has an extremely smooth and quiet ride, even on the interstate. It's also nice to have the driver's side sliding door feature.

Take some lessons from the Japanese on quality. Especially when it comes to the transmission. This has been a known problem for so long. It makes me ill that it is still such an issue. Needs storage accessible by driver. Wasted space between seats.