1994 Plymouth Sundance Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Plymouth Sundance - Consumer Reviews

1994 Sundance Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sundance model:

Sort Reviews by

Plymouth? More like Cadillac of Cars
By Paul Baldasi

1994 Plymouth Sundance 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car to get me too and from work with 112 000km on it. It skips into 2nd gear with big whine on the tranny. It dosent always shift into 4th gear if I can get it up to 80km/h that is. It has always gotten me to work on time thou. Only had to replace one radiator and there does seem to be an alignment problem causing odd tire wear on the front wheels. Currently still driving it with 170000Km+ on her.

Favorite Features

I keep getting phone calls telling me that my warranty is almost expired. How about that a 16 year old car with 170000Km that apparently is still under warrenty. Insurance is very reasonable.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more umph from the engine but what can you expect from a $1000 car I bought 5 years ago.

She won't die!
By esteroids3

1994 Plymouth Sundance 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car to help a friend that was moving, never meaning to keep it. That was at 140,000 miles. Now at 199,640 I'm still amazed that she won't die! Oil changes, plugs and belts, plus an alt., a battery and a new timing belt--in 6 years. Cold starts at 20 below 0 (she's an Alaska car). Great beater, starter car, whatever--and still gets 27 mpg!

Favorite Features

Runs and stops most of the time!

Best Of The Best
By Rick

1994 Plymouth Sundance 2dr Hatchback

I have owned many, many cars and trucks over the years, but this one takes the trophey! This lil car has served greatly and now I am givining it to my Son in law to use because his car has died and he needs a good dependable car to get to work and back. I was the second owner of the car and for paying $5000 for it back in 1998 was alot to me, but as I look back now, well worth every penny. I never had a problem with it! it had great power and super gas milage (35 mpg) with that 5 speed... It handled great! Kept it tuned, changed the oil, and gave her a bath, and she treated me well! Even in the Sub-Zero temps in Wisconsin, Started every time. Now I passed her on, and she continues........

Favorite Features

The 5 speed, Loved the sun roof, good sounding stero, Comfortable seating, Could haul alot with the fold down seats, Fast, Quick, all around SOLID CAR!... Didn't really want to give it away(lol) but wanted my Grand Daughter to ride in a safe car! E-Z to work on (if needed)[plugs and oil]

Suggested Improvements

MAKE MORE OF THEM!!! BRING BACK THE GOOD GAS MILAGE CARS!!! I got 35 mpg with this one, and it was a 1994 dodge 2.2 motor... because of the 5speed the fuel was so good, we also had a automatic and it got about 28 mpg! Thanks for a great little car... God Bless!

I Love my Plymouth Sundance !
By Don

1994 Plymouth Sundance 4dr Hatchback

I bought my car from a private seller four months ago. Other than minor things like tune ups, it has been great. It is currently reading 265,000 miles on the odometer. As of now the only thing wrong with it is the oxygen sensor and the valve seals are bad (which is typical of this type of engine with high mileage) which causes white smoke to come from the exaust. Other than that it runs great!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable. The backseat is plenty big enough for my two toddlers. And the hatch has plenty of room for whatever I need.

Suggested Improvements

A better driver's armrest would be better. And I find it pretty silly that the only automatic seatbelt in the whole car is on the passenger side. Why is there there at all?

No Major Fixes
By Wheeler

1994 Plymouth Sundance 4dr Hatchback

I've had the car for 4 years with no major mechanical problems. My father and my brother have also owned one. My fathers lasted for 240,000 miles until the body rusted out. It's not the best looking car, but you'll never have to put a dime into fixing it. Also you can beat the car up pretty good with no mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

Best reliability you can get for a cheap price.

Suggested Improvements

Paint chips and peels off of car in most every model.

Wish I could keep it!
By trire

1994 Plymouth Sundance 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 15,000 miles from the Avis rental. It has been SO reliable. Too bad they are no longer made. I have to purchase newer car since this has 126,000 miles with minimal repair over its lifetime. Time for an upgrade and I am sad to see it go. It was driven across country twice and from NE to Florida five times...

Favorite Features

very comfortable seats; good handling with the front wheel drive, hatchback when needed, 4 door sedan most of the time

Suggested Improvements

the paint is now peeling

Quick and reliable
By Tony K.

1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster 4dr Hatchback

My Duster now has 120,000 miles and still runs strong. The V6 is pretty quick. Interior is nice with woodgrain dash. Replaced the transmission at 85,000, but besides that no major problems. Very reliable and gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

V6 engine, keyless entry, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Not much room for a 4 door, paint tends to chip.

My Plymouth Rocks!
By The Slab

1994 Plymouth Sundance 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 2.2 liter 4-door hatchback from a rental car agency in 1995 with 35k on the odometer. Plain Jane and reliable as the day is long. I now have 162K miles on it with no major mechanical problems. It refuses to quit. Paint is peeling and hubcap fell off when I got new tires, but mechanically this thing always starts and always gets me to my destination. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs and I fit very comfortably in it, which is one reason I bought it. I love it and I hope to get at least 200K miles out of it. Handles great in the snow and gets about 26 mpg on the highway, not bad for an old beast.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and roomy for big guys. Engine is piece of cake to work on. Oil change is a breeze. Doesn't quit. No one wants to steal it or break into it. Durable and handles pretty well. Absolutely a great, reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

More power.

Fun Car to Drive and Lots of Repairs
By mnslappy

1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 8,000 miles on it back in 1995. Had it until fall 2003 when the head gasket failed and the head got cracked. Had 120,000 miles on it at the time. Not worth the 700-1000 to fix it. Replaced the automatic transmission (a common complaint witht the 94 Duster) at 30,000 miles, replaced the rack and pinion system at 40,000 miles, air conditioner failed at around 70,000 miles. Despite all the repairs it was always a fun little car to drive, great cornering, and great power with the V-6.

Favorite Features

V-6 destroys

1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster
By pholland

1994 Plymouth Sundance Duster 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 1994. I had no problems with this car until last summer I had to replace the tranmission. It drive nice it handles very well on ice and snow. the oil has been changed every 3,000 mies and tuned up. It has all road miles. The interior is very nice. It has cruise tilt radio w/cassette air conditioning automatic on floor.the exterior is nice except for a few door dings.

Favorite Features

air conditioning tilt and cruise

Suggested Improvements

I wish it wrote a little smoother.