Used 1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Plymouth Sundance - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sundance model:

Great cars
By cdgadart

1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

We bought this car last in jan. 09 with 16,300 original miles on it. The car is from Conn., one owner, always garaged, still has the original tires and is in mint shape all around. I know I paid more than any book value said it was worth but the car will last for us for several years as we will not run it in the harsh northeast winters. I have owned a few other small mopars over the years and have always had good luck with them. They are easy to maintain and get good fuel mileage. This car looks like the day it came of the assembly line. I mean the car is spotless underneath as well as the interior and exterior. I would recommend these older cars to anyone who is looking for a cheap ride!!

Favorite Features

Rides nice, stylish for the year, and just plain fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Looked gorgeous, but always in the shop
By Beauty skin deep

1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

Granted, I limped mine 150,000 miles but only because I had to replace everything from the rear axle three times, the transaxle twice, the CV joints 4 times, and it was in the shop with constant mechanical and electrical problems. I gave up and sold it to a junkyard when the engine blew--literally. We took care of our cars and were always on-time with maintenance. Cosmetically, it was still exceptionally nice inside and out when it finally died.

Favorite Features

Body colors and paint job, comfortable for long trips, large-car comfort in a compact size, quiet, interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler of the era should have stuck with coachwork and let someone else...anyone else...do the rest. Back customer warranties instead of telling them you don't cover faulty manufacturer workmanship (uh, then what is a warranty?).

Low mile Sundance
By sdv

1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

I have owned 3 Horizons over the years and have had good luck with all 3. This little Sundance I just bought has only 16,500 original miles. The car came is a 1 owner, looks to have been always garaged, and is mint in every way. The underside has no rust, the motor compartment is super clean and the interior looks like it has never been sat in. The car will last me well into retirement. This really is a car that was owned by a little old lady.

Favorite Features

Easy to maintain, cheap transportation

Loved It
By steve

1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I picked up a brand new black cherry Sundance as a company car back in the spring of 1991. It had peppy performance, comfortable bucket seats and a cool floor mounted shifter with center console. The car had rear folding seats and a hatchback that I was able to use to move a full sized couch. Gas mileage was decent in the low 20s. I really loved that little Plymouth. I did some work in it and hand lots and lots of fun. I never had any problems with it except for the time I scraped the passenger side door against a tree. Oops. If you can find one of these in decent condition, you should buy it.

Favorite Features

I like the hatchback and rear folding seats which make this small car seem very big.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, of course.

I loved my Sundance!
By Chestnut

1990 Plymouth Sundance Hatchback 4dr Hatchback

I owned the Sundance for 13 years (bought new). I really enjoyed the car and it turned out to be very reliable. It was great for moving - great for carrying lots of stuff. I just donated it to charity - someone could still get more use out of it. I was sorry to see it go.