Used 2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (16 reviews )

2001 Plymouth Neon A LOT OF LITTLE CAR
By jamesrizzuti

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The little Plymouth Neon is fun to drive, feels very solid on the road, and in general has a well designed interior. For a compact car, it has remarkable interior room for 4 adults, and the back seats fold down to allow more truck originated space. It's probably the best little car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Interior room and design. VERY good sound system. SOLID road feel. Good braking.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is a bit overly loud, but that's a small nick in an overall very nice piece of machinery.

A little about my car and a comment on another post.
By patrickl79

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 used from a private seller. It had 120,000 miles and I only paid $500 for it. It was non - running the problem turned out to be bad battery terminals a easy fix for about $4. I love my car, its quick and sporty, handles well and seems to be well built and very reliable requiring only standard maintenance, something that most people simple forget or dont care to do. My only complaint is I wish the center console was bigger.

Favorite Features

Everything so far

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back and kill the avenger, the neon is sportier and in my opinion looks better.

STILL a good car!
By ehbowen

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 Neon new in November 2000 and kept it for more than eight years. It was the stickshift LX model, and I added a Chrysler-brand cruise control. Other than routine maintenance, the only service it needed was when the engine computer went into an error state. The car was still driveable and I drove it to the dealership, which repaired it under the emissions warranty even though the car had over 60000 miles on it at the time. The only negative I have to say about the car is that it's a little too low-slung; very easy to scrape the front end on sloped driveways. I sold the car to my 16-yr old niece last year, and she loves it-- it's STILL a good car!

Favorite Features

Excellent air conditioning, interior fabrics held up very well, good paint and corrosion protection, lots of nice features like power windows and door locks in the LX model.

Suggested Improvements

As I said, a little too low slung. Factory sound system (cassette radio) went out and I replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

Good Car
By Brown

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 Neon a year and a half ago or so and I have loved it. My Neon was really basic, no power windows or other options but it was really reliable. I only replaced the battery and the tires on it so maintenance was low. I bought used but had regular service and it treated me well. A/C and heat worked perfectly. 2.0 liter gave it extra kick for a 4 cyl. Inside room was quite large for the size of the car, back seat spacious for compact car. I wrecked it and have to buy a new car but would get another Neon anytime.

Favorite Features

Pretty good suspension, took corners well. 2.0 liter gave me speed on the highway if needed, though not as sporty as a V6 or turbo. Nice to have extra room inside. Controls very user friendly (some cars have too many knobs to figure out). Reliable. Fun to drive though I could go for a manual.

Suggested Improvements

Could use an internal trunk release from the cabin(though my model was really basic, no power locks or anything) I had to use the key to open every time.

Dependable car
By Michael Avery

2001 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have used this car very much in the last 4 years. It has been a very dependable car.

Favorite Features

The best feature on this car would have to be the gas mileage. Especially the way gas prices are going up.

Suggested Improvements

It needs to have anti-lock brakes. This would help a lot with the performance in the rain and also help with safety.