Used 2000 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Most Helpful|
do not buy!!!!
By ucf21

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my neon in Nov. '99. It was great for the 1st 3 years except for the plastic molding on the driver side door cracked. Then my warrany expired- my driver side door lock broke. I took it in to the dealership and they replaced the door lock but since then all it does is lock and unlock itself numerous times- even when i drive. I took it back it and they told me - very rudely that there was nothing wrong

Favorite Features

the color

Not the safest car
By Dink2008

2000 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I just received this car from my parents and I absolutely dislike it. When driving it, I can never feel comfortable because it does not feel like a safe car at all. The vehicle is thrown all over the road and has no power while going uphill. On the other hand the gas mileage is pretty fair, and the sound is alright. Over all I believe there are more downs than ups for this car and I would not recommend it if you are looking for a safe car.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is great.

Suggested Improvements

More safety features, better interior, and more power.

Neon # 2
By pyro498

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Neon. The first was a 1995 that I purchased brand new. I was able to get the mileage up to 189,000 before a dumb mistake roasted the engine. The 2000 Neon is styled nicely. The windows take getting used to. The interior is improved as is the space. The engine is a little easier to work on, except the jack point ins not really in a great area. Overall the Neon is a good starter car or just a runner.

Favorite Features

Body style, passenger compartment.

Suggested Improvements

The paint does not seem to be of the highest quality. The window blind spots are odd. The side mirrors get dirty as you drive. Some way to keep them clean?

Look Elsewhere
By Jason

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

Did not have a great experience with this car. Build quality was horrible. The brake pads fell off locking the wheel on way to work. Also had the brakes not work at all (vacuum problem) and almost ended up in the Bay. Lots of rattles, bumper faded (seems to be a usual problem with red Neons). Car feels small, but did have a comfortable seat. With seats down, you could fit quite a bit of stuff. Had a 5 speed manual transmission (automatic was only 3 speed!) which was a bit clunky. The rubberized plastic parts were peeling before I bought it, and only got worse (even with my obsessive car detailing!).

Favorite Features

Comfortable front seats, good stock stereo, cargo room was good when seats were down. MPG was good (around 30-32), but a little weak for the trade off of its V4 power.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality was horrible. Brakes a real problem. Use better red paint that doesn't fade on the plastic back bumper. In 2005 it's now a real boring design. V4, even with the 5 Speed manual was clunky and weak. Lots of road noise. All of this and I got rid of it at below 50K.

My First Car
By JustinP

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for 1500 and despite having only one previous owner, this person didn't do ANY maintenance on the car, and left all of that up to the next owner, me. The front power windows haven't worked since the purchase. A/C went out after 1 year. Chipping paint is pretty common on the front bumper. The front passenger speaker blew around 80k mi, and the in-dash speaker on the same side went as well around 92k. I have all aftermarket speakers in the car now. I had problems with the alternator twice, but only had to replace it once. It is comfy however; lots of room for 5 passengers. The CD changer broke on me when I tried playing burnt CDs, which lead to the replacement of the stereo.

Favorite Features

The CD changer was an excellent feature until it broke. Comfortable. Never had a problem trying to start the car though, and it's a daily driver. Heat works great (almost too well).

Suggested Improvements

Quality of parts. Acceleration (front tires spin and bounce the car up and down while activating the ABS and makes a horrible noise, and shakes like no other - scares the crap out of people, lol.