Used 2000 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Loved my first car
By lmatracia

2000 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

My dad got my first car, 2000 Plymouth Neon, with 44k for $3500 in 2010. The only major problem I ever encountered was the radiator went out at about 60k (which is VERY typical). I also had the tie rod end snap, but that was only because when the original owner replaced it they put the wrong part on. Overall I loved this car, i never worried about it breaking down and it got great mpg. Very reliable and worth the money. Unfortunately it was wrecked in the front end when someone hit me in a truck head on and drove off, i only had state minimum so was unable to fix the car. :( was very sad to see it go. I now drive a 2000 pt cruiser (which i also enjoy driving)

4 disk cd changer

None, just be sure to have radiator replaced (as a precaution) because its better than having it go out on you while driving then having to get a tow.

I'll get another when she's gone
By smisley

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

209,000 miles. Never a prob. Its all about maintenence. I will def get another when it does kick it! Had a Ford contour for a yr and it had 7 recalls on it. Not secure in driving. Had this car 9 yrs. Give or take. Not one recall!

Mine has manual Windows. And locks. And as much as I love that stuff. I still feel safer in my car. Then my friends high tech stuff.

Back speakers havent worked in 4 yrs. The trunk leaks now. But its old.

Best car I've ever owned
By Crzy8

2000 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Owned and driven for about 7 years; average daily commute of 70 miles. Purchased at 60,000 miles; now at 163,000 and going strong. It's had a chronic oil leak since around 90,000 - tried to have a couple different mechanics chase it down, but it's deep in the engine and repair estimate was more than half the $4,000 I paid for the car. But it runs fine and I don't mind a little incontinence. Otherwise, it handles nice, always starts, and has been extremely low maintenance.

Handles great in most circumstances. If you don't expect too much out of it, you'll be very satisfied with the consistent performance. It can find power if it needs it, and doesn't leave you terrified of on ramps. Excellent value if you don't end up with a lemon, and there are some in this model.

It can't handle A/C for more than 10 miles of a 35 mile commute on a 100 degree day. The cab is noisy, but the stock sound system isn't too bad (though the CD player can be finicky). Driver side could use a little more lateral leg room. Gets blown around in wind. Poor in icy conditions.

LOVE my car
By Traverse City

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my neon brand new, and have yet to have anything mechanical go wrong. Only normal upkeep on the usual things like breaks. I'm around 145,000 miles now and plan on driving it til it dies, which I'm sure won't be for another few years. The only things that have gone wrong have all been electrical. Motor burned out in the moon roof switch, 1 speaker has a vibration sound in it, and first cd changer didn't work but was replaced the first month of ownership and has worked fine ever since. I would absolutely purchase another Plymouth and am sad that they are no longer made. Also, my first car was a Plymouth, Reliant and was also a very reliable car.

My First Car
By JustinP

2000 Plymouth Neon LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for 1500 and despite having only one previous owner, this person didn't do ANY maintenance on the car, and left all of that up to the next owner, me. The front power windows haven't worked since the purchase. A/C went out after 1 year. Chipping paint is pretty common on the front bumper. The front passenger speaker blew around 80k mi, and the in-dash speaker on the same side went as well around 92k. I have all aftermarket speakers in the car now. I had problems with the alternator twice, but only had to replace it once. It is comfy however; lots of room for 5 passengers. The CD changer broke on me when I tried playing burnt CDs, which lead to the replacement of the stereo.

The CD changer was an excellent feature until it broke. Comfortable. Never had a problem trying to start the car though, and it's a daily driver. Heat works great (almost too well).

Quality of parts. Acceleration (front tires spin and bounce the car up and down while activating the ABS and makes a horrible noise, and shakes like no other - scares the crap out of people, lol.