Used 1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

1999 Plymouth Neon 4 Dr Highline Sedan
By Raj

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

The first 6 years went fine. In 2005 all the problems started, the car stalled half a dozen times between repeated trips to the dealership. They replaced the head gasket, timing belt, starter cables, spark plugs, ignition cables, rear main seal. Finally, they found a faulty relay due to the AC compressor which also was replaced. In Feb 2007 the vehicle would not start. Guess what? They replaced the fuel pump too. I've spend over $5000 in repairs. Now the vehicle stalls intermittently, the engine hesitates and jerks. The hp is gone. Do not buy this vehicle. It's proof that domestic vehicles are absolute junk. The Neon was so bad it was discontinued after the 2005 model. Nightmare!

Well, I would have to say the vehicle was definitely quite roomy. Lots of leg and head room. Good overall suspension.

Too many to list.

Pretty good car
By th neon

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought this Neon as my first car, and as a teenage guy I wasn't sure I wanted such a wimpy car. Well, I have had it over a year now, and I love it to death. I have had two small problems with it, the starter motor gave out, and the power locks are giving out. Other than that, it has been a great car. I love the stock sound system, the 6X9's in the back are awesome, but I did put in a new head unit, and now it sounds even better. I also put new hubcaps on becuase the stock ones where hideous. (the graffiti interior pattern is also very ugly, but seat covers can fix that). Great car if you want to put a little bit of creativity into it.

Love the sound system, none of my friends can believe that the speakers are stock. The car handles beautifully, and I have got it moving pretty fast on long enough stretches. Great on gas.

More power under the hood. The 2.0 is killing me. Also, mine has power locks, but not power windows, that would be nice.

Not a bad car
By Craig

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

This was my second car ever. Went in, had a fun drive with it, and bought it. Only major issue was the head gasket leak which was caused by a poor design. Replaced the old head gasket with a new MLS one, no problem since. A minor issue was a new valve cover gasket replaced after 75k miles. $30 and 30 minutes in your driveway will take care of this, no big deal. This was my first Neon of two and I plan on buying another. They're fairly common part cars and easy to fix. I love the DOHC engine but the 3-speed automatic can be a slouch at times. Keep up with your oil changes and a Neon will last you a long time.

Great engine, gas mileage, and comfortable. I'm not a big person so the car fits me perfect. Can be made a pretty nice tuner car (with the manual transmission) if wanted.

Can't improve a car no longer in production.

My Neon
By neonrob99

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

The only thing that I don't really like is auto transmission and the mirror in the driver's side visor. The 3 speed just isn't quick enough.

Visibility.

Power.

neons are reliable for single moms
By lv my neon

1999 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

I love my noen I first got one when i
was 16 shortly after got rid of it
reasons unknown but after my divorce i
was stranded with no car being a single
mom with two kids money is tight and i
found the neon very afordable only
problem they are in the top ten cars
stolen as i found out when mine was
taken. They should all come with alarms

love the color of mine purple my favorite, also comfortable

need power windows in back and car alarm