Used 1999 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

1999 Plymouth Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Crap
By kristie2021

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 2dr Coupe

I was really shocked to see all the good reviews for a car that was nothing but trouble for me. It recently broke down on me and I had to get rid of it. When I bought it the only thing was wrong with it was the radiator and a gas leak, I had many other problems, I had to replace the battery, the tires(more than 10x), the starter, the water pump, the cylinder, and the spark plugs. The spark plugs went out and stripped my cylinders in my engine, with the motor mounts going bad as well. It was like a domino effect in 2 weeks. The brake line, motor mounts,and then finally the spark plugs. It was a complete and total piece of crap and right before it broke down, there was acceleration on its own.

Comfy, Easy to drive, gas mileage.

Build it better, I do not suggest that you buy this car. DO NOT buy this car, I know people who have had nothing but problems. She bought hers a couple months back and it's making the same noise in the engine that mine did right before mine broke down completely.

1999 Plymouth Neon 4 Dr Highline Sedan
By Raj

1999 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

The first 6 years went fine. In 2005 all the problems started, the car stalled half a dozen times between repeated trips to the dealership. They replaced the head gasket, timing belt, starter cables, spark plugs, ignition cables, rear main seal. Finally, they found a faulty relay due to the AC compressor which also was replaced. In Feb 2007 the vehicle would not start. Guess what? They replaced the fuel pump too. I've spend over $5000 in repairs. Now the vehicle stalls intermittently, the engine hesitates and jerks. The hp is gone. Do not buy this vehicle. It's proof that domestic vehicles are absolute junk. The Neon was so bad it was discontinued after the 2005 model. Nightmare!

Well, I would have to say the vehicle was definitely quite roomy. Lots of leg and head room. Good overall suspension.

Too many to list.

Pretty good car
By th neon

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought this Neon as my first car, and as a teenage guy I wasn't sure I wanted such a wimpy car. Well, I have had it over a year now, and I love it to death. I have had two small problems with it, the starter motor gave out, and the power locks are giving out. Other than that, it has been a great car. I love the stock sound system, the 6X9's in the back are awesome, but I did put in a new head unit, and now it sounds even better. I also put new hubcaps on becuase the stock ones where hideous. (the graffiti interior pattern is also very ugly, but seat covers can fix that). Great car if you want to put a little bit of creativity into it.

Love the sound system, none of my friends can believe that the speakers are stock. The car handles beautifully, and I have got it moving pretty fast on long enough stretches. Great on gas.

More power under the hood. The 2.0 is killing me. Also, mine has power locks, but not power windows, that would be nice.

Not a bad car
By Craig

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

This was my second car ever. Went in, had a fun drive with it, and bought it. Only major issue was the head gasket leak which was caused by a poor design. Replaced the old head gasket with a new MLS one, no problem since. A minor issue was a new valve cover gasket replaced after 75k miles. $30 and 30 minutes in your driveway will take care of this, no big deal. This was my first Neon of two and I plan on buying another. They're fairly common part cars and easy to fix. I love the DOHC engine but the 3-speed automatic can be a slouch at times. Keep up with your oil changes and a Neon will last you a long time.

Great engine, gas mileage, and comfortable. I'm not a big person so the car fits me perfect. Can be made a pretty nice tuner car (with the manual transmission) if wanted.

Can't improve a car no longer in production.

My Neon
By neonrob99

1999 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

The only thing that I don't really like is auto transmission and the mirror in the driver's side visor. The 3 speed just isn't quick enough.

Visibility.