1999 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Crap
By kristie2021 on 07/25/10 15:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 2dr Coupe

I was really shocked to see all the good reviews for a car that was nothing but trouble for me. It recently broke down on me and I had to get rid of it. When I bought it the only thing was wrong with it was the radiator and a gas leak, I had many other problems, I had to replace the battery, the tires(more than 10x), the starter, the water pump, the cylinder, and the spark plugs. The spark plugs went out and stripped my cylinders in my engine, with the motor mounts going bad as well. It was like a domino effect in 2 weeks. The brake line, motor mounts,and then finally the spark plugs. It was a complete and total piece of crap and right before it broke down, there was acceleration on its own.

1999 Plymouth Neon 4 Dr Highline Sedan
By Raj on 07/31/08 23:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

The first 6 years went fine. In 2005 all the problems started, the car stalled half a dozen times between repeated trips to the dealership. They replaced the head gasket, timing belt, starter cables, spark plugs, ignition cables, rear main seal. Finally, they found a faulty relay due to the AC compressor which also was replaced. In Feb 2007 the vehicle would not start. Guess what? They replaced the fuel pump too. I've spend over $5000 in repairs. Now the vehicle stalls intermittently, the engine hesitates and jerks. The hp is gone. Do not buy this vehicle. It's proof that domestic vehicles are absolute junk. The Neon was so bad it was discontinued after the 2005 model. Nightmare!

Pretty good car
By th neon on 07/26/08 06:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought this Neon as my first car, and as a teenage guy I wasn't sure I wanted such a wimpy car. Well, I have had it over a year now, and I love it to death. I have had two small problems with it, the starter motor gave out, and the power locks are giving out. Other than that, it has been a great car. I love the stock sound system, the 6X9's in the back are awesome, but I did put in a new head unit, and now it sounds even better. I also put new hubcaps on becuase the stock ones where hideous. (the graffiti interior pattern is also very ugly, but seat covers can fix that). Great car if you want to put a little bit of creativity into it.

Not a bad car
By Craig on 06/13/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

This was my second car ever. Went in, had a fun drive with it, and bought it. Only major issue was the head gasket leak which was caused by a poor design. Replaced the old head gasket with a new MLS one, no problem since. A minor issue was a new valve cover gasket replaced after 75k miles. $30 and 30 minutes in your driveway will take care of this, no big deal. This was my first Neon of two and I plan on buying another. They're fairly common part cars and easy to fix. I love the DOHC engine but the 3-speed automatic can be a slouch at times. Keep up with your oil changes and a Neon will last you a long time.

My Neon
By neonrob99 on 05/06/05 23:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

The only thing that I don't really like is auto transmission and the mirror in the driver's side visor. The 3 speed just isn't quick enough.

neons are reliable for single moms
By lv my neon on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

I love my noen I first got one when i was 16 shortly after got rid of it reasons unknown but after my divorce i was stranded with no car being a single mom with two kids money is tight and i found the neon very afordable only problem they are in the top ten cars stolen as i found out when mine was taken. They should all come with alarms

Roxy
By NeoNxGrL on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 2dr Coupe

Fun little car to drive-gets great gas mileage. Easy to handle and great first car. Got mine a couple days after Christmas & was my first car. Wasnt my first choice, but once I started driving it, I instantly took a liking to it.

I love my little Neon
By markcherry on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

I've driven my car across the country a few times, and after 175,000, it's still running great. For the most part, it's been reliable and fun to drive. I've had to make two semi-major repairs ($500 each), but that seems pretty good considering the mileage. I would imagine anyone who takes care of this car having an enjoyable experience.

My Neon
By D. Lee on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This is my first car, but my last choice. I bought it in Ohio where there are virtually no hills. The real test would be the roads in New York my new home. It has surpassed all of my expectations. It handles the roads here with no problems, also easy to handle with the front-wheel drive in the snow, easy and fun to drive and still looks brand new. If you take care of it, it will serve you well. The only problem was the moon roof motor had to be replaced a year later. The overall performance is great unless the air conditioning is on. It is a great first choice. When I decide to buy another car, I will not trade this one in.

Believer
By Davkuy on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

When I first went to buy a car I was looking for a used Toyota. The dealership told me about a good deal they had running on Neon's. I almoast turned around and walked out, thinking the Neon was a "disposable car" but I decided to try it. The only 5 speed they had on the Lot was a tricked out expresso with most of the goodies. As soon as I got it out on the road, the car was sold. Recently 4/03 I traded it for a Toyota corolla, (Big Mistake) repairable mistake thank goodness.