1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
I hate it
By jacki_chan73 on 11/13/12 06:18 AM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible. I have owned it for about a year and a half and it sucks. I have to work on it constantly, and have had to make many repairs. The dash will quit working and the only way to fix it is to push on the glass to get it working, and even then the speedometer goes crazy. It is a zippy car, but it shakes really bad if you go 60 or above, which sucks for long drives. The interior isn't so bad, but if you're tall like me, opt for a different car, leg room sucks and it's pretty much on the ground, I have to practically roll out of the car to get out. I've replaced the tires, spark plugs, battery four times (for some reason it shorted out constantly, really bad wiring)

Best Car I've Had so Far!
By Ana on 07/11/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

I'm seeing a lot of comments about the head gasket breaking and i have never had that problem before. the car makes a lot of noise when you accelerate but once you get to your speed it drives great. its a fast little bugger! on the highway it starts to shake at about 70 but is ultra smooth. have never had to replace anything major expect the radiator and cooling fans. for the past 3 years the FM reception doesn't work but i don't really mind even though I'm thinking of replacing the radio. the only thing i really dislike is that after having it for 6 years it has started to rust on the roof and the paint is chipping off. it doesn't give it an appealing look.

Never Again
By Macon on 03/10/10 12:06 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

It's just not worth the time in the shop to own one. I got mine with 52,000 miles on it. It now has 96,000 and I'm already rebuilding the top end. I've replaced the EGR valve, catalytic converter, CV half shaft, transmission, and many other things. It is the slowest 4 cylinder on the planet with the three speed automatic and I only get about 24 mpg ON A 4 CYLINDER!

It was fun once
By Elizabeth H on 05/02/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Style 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004. I LOVED it for the first 2.5-3 years I had it. At first the only problems I had with it were the windshield wipers (which have never seemed to fit right) and the tires (I've had 2-5 flats a year, which probably have more to do with me than the car). Since early 2008 I've had a lot of problems. In the past year I've had the brakes worked on four times, one of the rotars replaced, the headlights fixed (twice?), etc. Last year I spent $2,000 fixing this car. Also, the speakers don't work, none of the engine lights work, the vents leak air, and the windows won't close all the way. (This may be normal for a 10- year old car with 120,000 miles on it.)

Wait
By Mark on 04/29/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

This car has givin me nothing but major trouble. I bought it slightly used at 2,102 miles and after 5 days of owning it my sunroof quit. The next 3 years the transmission made gringing noises. This car stinks!

Fun and Fast
By Dan the Man on 04/02/08 18:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

My Neon has been a blast to drive. From the moment you touch the throttle and hear the engine roar, to the smooth cornering on the back roads of PA, even to an occasional street race or two, this car has some serious get up and go! The fuel mileage on the highway is impressive!

Great fun, but...
By Steph on 08/15/05 21:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought my Plymouth Neon brand new. I loved the blue exterior and the confetti interior. The CD player and sunroof just rounded out my love for this car. I still love to look at it! My only problem is the transmission is slipping and I had to get new air conditioning last summer. Other than those 2 expensive repairs, I have only had to worry about maintenance.

Worth every Penny
By GPE on 01/27/05 17:42 PM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

I have just purchased a 1999 Plymouth Neon as a first car. The only thing I have driven before this was a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Pickup Truck. The Neon has excellent gas milage. The only thing that I dislike about it is that it is very low to the ground and mine lacks a sun roof. Otherwise I think this car is great. I love the fabric on the seats. I was expecting somehting plain but this has a design with many different colors.

The Neon's not so bad!!!!
By Neon Lover17 on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Highline 4dr Sedan

Yes, I had the common head gasket problem, but it was fixed at no cost to me, and I had an oil leak, so what, I fixed it for $20. I've had no other problems with it, and I've put over 100K miles on the car! So all the one's who's bashing the neon are over exaggerating. The car has a a problem or two, there is NO SUCH THING as a car with no problems. There just isn't on out that is maintenance free! You can look 'til your eyes fall out, you just won't find one!

1998 expresso
By fantaR on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Plymouth Neon Sedan Expresso 4dr Sedan

I bought my neon in 2000 and ive had only a couple problems with it. It had 30,000 miles on it and about 1 yr after owning it, the head gasket broke. The dealership replaced it but it would of been spending if not. I really like mine cuz it's sporty and handles really nice. The only other problem is that I it gets really cold where I live and sometimes it won't start in the early morning, it just needs a little warming. But over all I love mine but Id rather have a mustang.