Used 1998 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

I hate it
By jacki_chan73

1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible. I have owned it for about a year and a half and it sucks. I have to work on it constantly, and have had to make many repairs. The dash will quit working and the only way to fix it is to push on the glass to get it working, and even then the speedometer goes crazy. It is a zippy car, but it shakes really bad if you go 60 or above, which sucks for long drives. The interior isn't so bad, but if you're tall like me, opt for a different car, leg room sucks and it's pretty much on the ground, I have to practically roll out of the car to get out. I've replaced the tires, spark plugs, battery four times (for some reason it shorted out constantly, really bad wiring)

None really, it has good acceleration, but otherwise, meh.

Redesign the engine, it sucks.

Best Car I've Had so Far!
By Ana

1998 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I'm seeing a lot of comments about the head gasket breaking and i have never had that problem before. the car makes a lot of noise when you accelerate but once you get to your speed it drives great. its a fast little bugger! on the highway it starts to shake at about 70 but is ultra smooth. have never had to replace anything major expect the radiator and cooling fans. for the past 3 years the FM reception doesn't work but i don't really mind even though I'm thinking of replacing the radio. the only thing i really dislike is that after having it for 6 years it has started to rust on the roof and the paint is chipping off. it doesn't give it an appealing look.

most reliable car I've had! never has broken down. smooth ride, takes curves and turns quiet smoothly and drives soft and mellow.

better paint resistance and anti-rust.

Never Again
By Macon

1998 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It's just not worth the time in the shop to own one. I got mine with 52,000 miles on it. It now has 96,000 and I'm already rebuilding the top end. I've replaced the EGR valve, catalytic converter, CV half shaft, transmission, and many other things. It is the slowest 4 cylinder on the planet with the three speed automatic and I only get about 24 mpg ON A 4 CYLINDER!

It gets you from point A to B-ish

Scrap this car

It was fun once
By Elizabeth H

1998 Plymouth Neon Style 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004. I LOVED it for the first 2.5-3 years I had it. At first the only problems I had with it were the windshield wipers (which have never seemed to fit right) and the tires (I've had 2-5 flats a year, which probably have more to do with me than the car). Since early 2008 I've had a lot of problems. In the past year I've had the brakes worked on four times, one of the rotars replaced, the headlights fixed (twice?), etc. Last year I spent $2,000 fixing this car. Also, the speakers don't work, none of the engine lights work, the vents leak air, and the windows won't close all the way. (This may be normal for a 10- year old car with 120,000 miles on it.)

Good gas mileage, handles pretty well in the snow for a little car, always started and never stalled (reliable). It would be a good car for a first- timer, but don't expect to keep it more than 3-5 years if you buy it used.

My brakes always squeak, sing, and slip no matter how many times I get them "fixed". Other than that it's ok.

I hate my car
By Anthony T

1998 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car as a high school student just to drive around town, to and from school and work and that's about all it is good for. It is not a pleasure to drive, and I hate the way it looks, inside and out. It's a good first-car, but even then I wouldn't recommend it.

Not bad on gas.