1997 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
1997 Neon 4DR
By Bydand on 03/25/07 00:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in '02 with very low miles, about 12k. Fuel economy was good at first, but lately was going down hill. Gaskets blew out costing me a fortune, engine light won't turn off and just recently the engine started to sputtering and stalling out when trying to start. It doesn't want to go up gears anymore, and is quick to drop back down causing the engine to rev high. Glad to finally get rid of it, and it only had 77k miles on it after driving it for 5 years.

good little car
By dla on 02/14/07 15:32 PM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

It's been reliable and dependable, not any problems until now at 49,500 miles. Now it needs a head gasket and new tires. Have replaced the battery and two tires, and have had regular maintenance and upkeep.

Love it!
By ruthie on 12/01/06 07:05 AM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Neon Expresso 4dr Sedan

I just lost my beloved Neon to an accident with a Volvo. And for the record, the Volvo looked MUCH worse! LOL. I bought my Neon in '00 with around 40,000 miles on it. I LOVE that car! I have only had to replace the head gasket once. Something that the early models had major problems with. But they got most of the kinks out by '97. This car handles like a champ around corners and in traffic. With a 5-speed you can even play with the "big" kids, 'cause the little things have a good bit of juice for a 4 cylinder. Great gas mileage and I ran that little car for OVER 200,000 miles and I would have gotten a couple more years out of it too!

Its CHEAP for a reason.
By uncle_shaun on 04/17/06 16:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '97 Neon with 78k mi on it. It ran fine at first, but slowly started to get a plethora of little problems (brakes, rattling, CV boot, etc), until last week the timing belt broke, causing the engine to commit suicide on the freeway. Black smoke shot out from under the hood, the passengers were screaming, and I plowed into the shoulder, and that was the end of the Hated Neon. My advice, you would be better off spending a little extra and getting a Honda. Personally, I'm glad my Neon is dead; good riddance to bad rubbish.

Ernie's Review
By Ernie Blanchard on 12/07/04 19:15 PM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy driving my 1997 Plymouth Neon around. I call it my Toy because I have so much fun with it. The light blue paint on the Plymouth is far superior to the light blue on the Dodge models, it does not chip at all. For a small car it is a very comfortable ride, yes it can be noisy but definitly on of the more comfortable rides is the compact category.

great second car
By spyklee on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Neon 2dr Coupe

i purchased my neon spring of 99. 2.0 SOHC 4 5spd. has good power, i have not exp. any major problem, 2 biggies though, 1 paint pealing, has primer issues with certain colors, mine is white, 2 valve cover seals for spark plugs eroded away, causing oil residue in spark plug section easy fix. car is great to get around town in, it is fun to drive. although on long road trips (500+mil) seats get uncomfy, and fuel tank is small. good gas milage though. sound system is not bad. trunk is good size, two sets of golf clubs and suitcase no problem. summary great point a-b car or first car. watch the paint. i love this car.

Poor Choice
By Beka on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Be careful with this car. It looks like fun to begin with, but we had nothing but problems since day one. It may have just been our car, and the way the previous owners cared for the car, but we found that owning the car cost us more than buying a new one. Again, if you chose this car, buyer beware!

energizer neon
By beamer on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

What else is there to say... This is one in a series of 6 neons that I have been involved in purchasing. We have only retired two of them. One was sold and the other was totaled. All of the other 4 are still on the road. Two of these are lightly driven, but the other two have been abused on a daily basis and still continue to operate with an absolute bare minimum of operating expenses. One now has 290,000 and the other is at 317,000 miles. The latter only cost around $200 last year for all maintenance (scheduled service included in this cost). Not too bad for 65,000 miles on the road...

The Little Car that Could
By owner on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

This car has done it all for me. I have driven it from NJ to CA, from CA to AZ, CO, Mexico and back. The mileage and comfort is amazing. And the handling is awesome. I have taken it offroad in the desert. The fold down seats allow me to haul 8ft boards of lumber home without a problem. Some jerks at the lumberyard dind't want to beleive that it would fit. What would be the point of their SUVs in that case? I caught someone trying to break into my car by throwing a large rock at the glass. It bounced off with a small scratch! I not had to do more than routine maintanence. (Oil, Filter, Tire Rotation, etc.)

The Little Car that Could
By Owner on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)