Used 1996 Plymouth Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

It can take anything.
By AJ

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I am really attached to my little neon expresso! It has needed a new transmittion right after i bought it and has a minor oil leak. The gas gague hasn't woked since i bought it but i just go by the tripometer. It gets about 27 mpg. The interior design is a little tacky but seriously comfortable. I live in a mountainy area and this car handls turns and hills spectacularly at the speeds i push it to. It ratles a bit but hey it's a decade old and I bought it with 150,000 miles on it. Paint has faded and chipped a bit though.

Handles beautifully and has even done offroading once or twice that it survived.

Needs a better trans.

Peters Neon
By peter

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My Neon is a great fun car because it gets great gas mileage, 35 mpg hiway and 33 in town. Its AC system works great even on 115 degree days cooling the cab fast. I drive this car 95 miles to work and back 6 days a week.

AC, stereo, gas mileage, power

I found that if you replace the stock muffler with a hi flow muffler you can get improved gas milage and power

Bad oil leak and electrical problems!
By szq7

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

Bought my Neon used and had no problems the first couple of years. Then it started leaking oil and had a lot of electrical problems. Radio has not worked for 5 years. The speedometer and gas gauge not working properly. I bought a new car this year, so I am finally going to sell mine, if anyone will buy it.

Liked the look of the sport sedan and interior. Very comfortable and plenty of room in back seat and trunk for small car.

Need to find reason for oil leaks and electrical problems in this vehicle and make improvements in future models.

my piece
By kayla

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I recently bought my Neon in January of this year. Already everything is going wrong with it. My water pump was replaced in February. My head gasket needs to be replaced within the next 2 months and my fuel pump broke last month. I understand it's a 10 year old car, but my last car was an 89 and NOTHING went wrong with it while I had it.

There's really nothing to it to have a favorite except the changes that I personally made to it.

Head gaskets and water pumps definitely need improved on all Neons. 4 of my friends had to replace both.

10 Years and still going strong
By Angela

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I've had my Neon for a long time now, and I've had to do some substantial work to it. It is pushing it's 200,000th mile and is still going good. Personally, i think the older Neon's are a great beginner car for a young driver because they are easy to handle and have lots of safety features. I love my Neon and wish I could keep it much longer.

Very roomy and amazing fuel mileage. Comfortable to drive and all switches (for AC, radio, wipers, etc.) are easily accessible from the drivers seat.

Tires wear quickly. Head gaskets and transmissions are infamous for breaking down. It would be nice if there were frames around the door windows as well.