1996 Plymouth Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Cheap Car, One of My Worst Buys
By Fishmonger on 09/15/05 16:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Ever buy something cheap thinking you can probably "get by" with it only to discover that it broke after 2-3 uses? That's exactly how I feel about my Neon. I definitely wish now that I had spent $4,000 more or so and picked up a Civic instead. I have had headgasket trouble, oil and transmission leaks, failure by the Dodge dealership to fix or even admit the problems, stupid window design that leaks air at highway speeds, plus now my gas mileage has dropped from almost 30 when new to 25. I took it to the shop and they can't figure out why, they just said probably engine and transmission wear. The cost of ownership and hassle have just been too much on this car. My advice - stay away from it like it's a virus.

An average car...
By Dan on 06/19/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used with just over 40k miles. Since then, thankfully, I haven't had to replace the head gasket, though I'm just waiting for the day when it does. I'm up to 114k miles, and there's hardly a speck of paint left on the roof. It was white, now it's a nice shade of primer gray/rust. The car runs, though it seems to be burning oil. I still get decent highway mileage, though my city mileage, as I do mostly local driving, is slowly creeping more towards 20 mpg and away from 30. I'm ready to ditch it and upgrade to something nicer. My roommate keeps threating to use it to sight in his new rifle.

The Rare Happy Neon Owner
By Surprised Neon Owner on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

Well, I bought it with 124+K from a local used car dealer. It was a one owner that was ORDERED from the factor by a woman who lives in my state. I simply drove the car for the first 7 months with NO problems. Then I elected to replace the shirt cables (5spd) and the struts. I also did a general tune up. The car is loaded with pwrs and keyless entry. Great ride, super MPG (36+), and looks good. I guess I am the rare happy Neon owner...compared to the responses written here. Good luck people!

Hasn't been too bad
By littledee on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

I bought my neon cuz I needed a cheap car. That's all it is. I've had all the leaks like everyone else. But my car has been good to me. However, I can't wait to get rid of it. I would NEVER buy one again. It's not even worth the parts that are in it. Chrysler needs to take some responsibility for their errors. It's obvious it's a design flaw cuz EVERYONE has a head gasket problem. It's been a cute car with a zippy engine. But I won't miss it.

Bessie's Ailments
By BuyingANewCar on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

Bessie (my red 1996 Neon) is suffering. Here is a list. - Horn didn't work, then came on by itself - A/C died 2X - Blinker switch replaced 2X - Brakes defective - Electrical system died leaving only headlights working 2X - Gas tank replaced - Head gasket blew 2X (I refuse to fix it this time, but can't drive it because it goes through 1 qt. of oil every 2-3 days)

It's been a great car but it's aging.
By suescq on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon 4dr Sedan

My car has always started and has been very reliable. It has had it's share of problems including the head gasket which has gone out twice, the air conditioning which is poorly designed (the electrical system burned a hole in the hose), and I had to replace my gas tank recently. Otherwise, the car has served it's purpose and always gets me to work and back.

One Happy Neon Owner
By eta on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 2dr Coupe

I love my Neon. It's been a great car, I have yet to even replace a lightbulb! It's peppy with amazing fuel economy. I have the model "Expresso" which may be only a Canadian thing but it's sporty with funky interior. I've owned alot of cars in my life, I like this one the best for the money.

Unreliable Lemon
By purpleNeon on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 4dr Sedan

My poor 1996 Plymouth Neon . . . it has needed SO MANY expensive repairs. I don't know if it is just a lemon, or if that make and model is just crap. I feel like it was a cheap car to begin with, and now that it is older, it is very unreliable and I plan to get rid of it. It ends up in the shop every couple of months needing $500+ repairs.

Old Reliable
By ynot on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Plymouth Neon Sport 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new in June of '96. Have over 125k miles on it now and other than repairing a blown spark plug once, I haven't had any problems with it. Other than regular oil changes, I have never had to add oil. The little 4 banger has good power and avg 34 mpg. For a car at this price, it has superior handling although the ride is getting a little rough now.

I wouldn't suggest it...
By don't buy this neon on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Plymouth Neon Highline 4dr Sedan

After buying this car with 70,000 miles on it and putting about 300 miles on it, i had a list of problems. First, the speedometer (well, entire instrument panel to be exact) works when it wants to. Then, I found I had a number of oil leaks. Every time i got one fixed another would pop up. The head gasket had already been replaced by the previous owner. I chronically overheat, even though there is no apparent reason for it. I've had the car for 2 months and have put almost $700 dollars into it for repairs. i hear that most of these problems are common in older neons, so i have to strongly recommend against buying this car.